Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve read freeze mode can cause you to feel unreal .. foggy etc because you can’t fight or flight from the situation so you dissacociate. With prolonged trauma these brain chemicals can stay and be activated and not shut off because your body isn’t ready to be out of it due to so many threats. If we can find a way to get out of fight or flight mode maybe that would help is somehow. I know I’ve been through many traumatic things in my life that cause dissacotiaon so mild I didn’t even realize it was dp dr. Ever since I smoked weed I got it severely. I don’t know why weed can put you in freeze mode. Whatever. Seems none of us know anything.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've been pondering about the freeze mode thing too & had the same and many mild dissociatons you describe without really knowing too and been stuck in the full blown one for half a year now.

I guess it's a matter of getting rid of as many chronic stressors as possible.

I mean I was already super taxed before I went into chronic dpdr so it's the body/brain doing it's job even though it freaks us out.

The first 3 months I didn't even know what DP was lol. You can only imagine how that feels like lol. Going from doctor to doctor and having nothing wrong with you. I was like wtfing 24/7

·
Administrator
5,296 Posts
What's odd is that it's stuck "on". Almost like a glitch. As if your life was like a video game and you're going through a mario level but there's a glitch, and the game freezes, the screen turns black, and none of the buttons work anymore.

The fight or flight response is there for a reason. So if you come across a bear you become aware and run. Or people experience it during trauma, but then it stops when you know you are safe again.

Why is it constantly on for us then. Why would it stay on continuously. A lot of people have it continuously after an experience with drugs, or a panic attack, anxiety, or there are even people with unidentifiable triggers.

So why would the fight of flight response stay on in people for years and years, decades, multiple decades after the threat subsides. It doesn't make any sense to me and it isn't serving us a purpose. It is doing the opposite, making life more difficult and that's an understatement.

I have wondered before, if in fact there is some sort of glitch.

·
Registered
818 Posts
I have a theory on this. I think that the trauma at the time (and even a panic attack on drugs is trauma to me) caused chronic tension to be held in the body.. a sort of 'armouring' that protects us from harm. It contracts the front of the body and makes us go into the foetal position so we are protected.

So after my panic attack I started to shake. This is how this tension is naturally released. However I tensed up again and prevented this from happening. So it got stuck on... I also have a theory that these points of tension become stagnant. Lowered blood flow, chronic tension and build up of toxins. That could be a potential home for bacteria and viruses in the body that also help maintain the tension. As a result of that tension we don't breath as fully or detox the body as well. Inflammation sets in.. pain becomes numbed by stress hormones.

·
Registered
75 Posts
That makes a ton of sense. My whole face is extremely tense after all this started. No even a chiropracter could do much. It's so tense that I get eye muscle pain and stuff. I try to relax sometimes but it really takes lots of effort as the body is so stuck in this. Like I got jaw pain tooth pain and all kinds of tension problems. Thanks for the contribution. One more thing to ponder about.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I guess one should adress the underlying cause of tension & stress while working on relaxing the muscles, otherwise they'll just adapt again to self-protect.

For me personally it would be issues with parents, relationships, metabolic issues nutrition & detoxification.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I agree I don’t see how it gets “stuck on” and how you can “turn it off” like some people have done. And how some people have it on chronically and it never subsided even when anxiety lowers. If this was actually taken seriously I bet there could actually be an easy cure even if we’d have to be on medication forever.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts