Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My gp recommended paxil cr. I tried lexapro and it was a complete dud. He feels Paxil is a more effective serotonin booster. I took one pill(12.5mg) last night and it knocked me into next week. Man that shit is powerful! I layed down and listened to the electrical storm in my head. I couldnt fall asleep if I tried. I spent most of last night walking around my house feeling like a complete zombie. this morning I went into a convienence store and had a hard time speaking to the attendant because I was slurring my speech. Its pretty much wore off now and I feel better. Im thinking if I continue maybe some of the drugged feeling will pass. Is 12.5mg a very high dose? Is it still the equivalent of 12.5 of regular Paxil? I was given this dose in a starter pack and the pills arent scored so I cannot cut them decently, otherwise I think Id start with 6mg and slowly move up. Are you supposed to cut a controlled release pill?

Joe

·
Registered
281 Posts
dakotajo, I used the regular paxil and I would never it use it again. This is just my view on this drug. I personally had a really hard time while I was on it. Never tried an anti-depressant before until I used paxil. It made me feel very drousy and the amount that you started on is to me a bit high. I am not an expert on it I am jus saying for me I got up to that amount in four months. Took it slowly, made me more depressed and made my dp worse. I felt like a zombie most of the time. I took myself of it against doctors advice, but after they agreed it was the best thing to do for me because I started to do better without it. I hope you feel better soon. It is a decision you will have to make, be careful though you do not fall when you are drousy like that. it does take time to work but I am not sure about this one that you are on. I would not like that one because what if it did not agree with you it is in your system for a while. I am not sure if this helped but take care and hope things improve for you.

gem.

G

·
I took the paxil CR version for over a year at 25 mgs. I started out at 12.5 and made my way up. I felt exactly like you did for the first few weeks. You aren't supposed to cut the CR pills in half, I remember the pharmacy woman telling me that. 12.5 mgs CR is equal to 10 mgs of the regular paxil.

Im surprised your still going the pills route Joe. I would think that after benzo hell and trying severeal different SSRI's that you'd choose something different. You still feeling bad after being free for 2 year?. Anyhow, I wont criticize you. You've seen the worst so you should have no problems with these pills.

Neal

·
Registered
984 Posts
Dear Joe,
I dont think you should be messing with Paxil or Paxil CR. This is a "dirty" med, and Paxil CR didnt improve on the imperfect formula much. I expect that if you keep taking it, the ringing in your ears and the buzzing in your skull is going to keep getting worse. The neuropsychiatrist whose research I like, Dr. Amen, found that people with temporal lobe and parietal lobe issues, which can cause mood swings, DP, and tinnitus, seemed to become more irritable and reported an increase of symptoms on SSRIs. I really do think that your problem is GABA. If you took any reuptake inhibitor, take Gabitril. But dont take Paxil. This is a drug I know from experience. Good Luck.

Peace
Homeskooled 8)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey,

Thanks for the replies. Im just tired of this shit. Like everybody else, I just want to feel normal. I have a feeling that it wont work but I seem to be able to go on and off ssris with little or no problem. Its still hell, but compared to what benzos put me thru, its nothing. As stupid as it sounds, I might give it a few weeks and see what happens.

Joe

G

·
Don't cut an SR (Sustained Release) pill into parts. Not smart. There are not "equal amounts" in two halves of a chopped up SR pill (proportions of chemicals are tricky with sustained release meds).

Also, Joe I honestly don't think ssri's are for you, given your sensitivity, etc. They have too many side effects.

You might want to ask the doctor about a very old med called Dilantin. I just have a hunch that it might really work with your particular chemistry - it's an anti-depressant but also has calming effects in some people. It is a VERy safe drug (as far as any med goes)....I hesitate to offer advice given the horror you've been through, but my hunch tells me this is worth checking into.

Peace,
J

·
Registered
984 Posts
Will wonders never cease? Janine, you've just recommended the oldest of the anticonvulsants to DakotaJoe. I knew you would come around to my neurobiological view of DP :twisted: Joe, I've put up a link to a story from a depressed man who felt "electric shocks" and tried Dilantin to treat them. The story may just be a pro-Dilantin site, but it may resonate with you and quite a few other people on the DPSelfhelp. Its at http://remarkablemedicine.com/Medicine/depression.html
I might try an anticonvulsant a little lower on the ladder than Dilantin first, since its considered pretty strong. However, it isnt habit-forming, and you have a pretty severe case. Well, I think I'm going to print out Janine's post and frame it, so I'll be busy most of the morning....

Peace
Homeskooled

G

·
HOWLING, HS....

oh, my knowledge base is wide, I just prefer the psychoanalytic solutions, so I try them first!

Just howling though, at your comments,

LOL,
J

G

·
I am tired to see all those people against Paxil. I tried zoloft, celexa, remeron, effexor, all ssri or almost all. My sister takes paxil and she is doing great. My friend took paxil for over a year and she quit, and she is doing great. Janine took Paxil.

One of my close friends took effexor, did help much. No side effects.

I tried safe ones, did nothing at all for obsessions, dp, dr. I needed more klonopin then.

So, when you are ill, why not trying something that calms you???? Is it that thorrible?? Why scare people like that?

Anti-psychotics are much more harder for the brain, if you want my opinion.

Anyway, that was my opinion.

It'S so easy to say : don't take this pill!!! Don't take that one! When are able to work, drive, laugh, ect. When you have a family who counts on you, and are not able to work, and insurances makes you see a psychiatrist every 3 months to see where are your progress, and you don't progress because you change meds all the time because you have huge fear of them (cause you read too much), but with no meds, you are in a indescriptible fear..... then you have no choice trying someting!!! No?

Cynthia

·
Registered
109 Posts
I'm with coucouc on this one. Paxil works fine for me. It might turn out to be less helpfull with other people. But you can?t give any advice about wich medication you should or should not try. Every person is a different case, and everyone reacts different on various types of medication

·
Registered
984 Posts
Dear Janine,
I dont know you very well, but I have a hunch that you may see the Freudian approach as the "right" way to solve your problems, although this conflicts with the views of your true Self, which is in fact a closet anticonvulsant neuropsych sympathiser. This "magical thinking" is often the case with an over-developed super-ego developed as a coping mechanism against certain trauma we may or may not wish to face or perhaps even remember. Rather than over-analyzing or focusing on the purpose of this post, just realise that your subconscious "Self" was free to express its true views this morning and that the journey itself begins with one step. You are learning, young Paduan. :twisted:

Okay, just a little ribbing there...DakotaJoe, I was thinking over your post. You're pretty much positive that your "Gaba-nergic" system is "shot to hell". If I believe your symptoms are as real and disabling as they are (and I do), my question would be why not take something that acts on GABA. For people that smoke, do hard drugs, or drink, it takes 8 years of abstinence before their brain scans appear normal again. You've been in this hell for 2, and from what I read, your previous normal was anxious, moody, and DPed. For what its worth, even when your system recovers, your GABA system is still going to need some finetuning. I just hate to see you taking what your body is dishing out with no respite in the near future.

Coucou, you're right. Paxil isnt the worst thing out there. My aunt takes it for obsessive compulsive disorder. It does give her side-effects, but she thinks they are worth it. If a post comes across as completely against a certain med, I would disregard it as biased. If someone didnt get releif from it, the drug company would have stopped making it, just because there was no money to be made. On the other hand, Joe just doesnt sound like the guy I would give it to. Only time will tell. Did you decide on what med you were going to try? I really recommend listening to your doctor, since your depression seems very deeply related to physical changes in your body after the birth of your child. We're good as a reference point for ideas, but they're just our best guesses - if we get them wrong, well, we dont have malpractice insurance because we arent liable for bad guesses. He has a vested interest in making sure you get well. Later!

Peace
Homeskooled 8)

G

·
Homeskooled, that's the funniest damn thing I've read in a long time - actually I'm quite impressed at the intricacies of that parody, lol....if you have enough understanding of some basic concepts to be that caustic, there's hope for YOU, yet.....grin grin.

And again, scary as this is, I agree with HomeSkooled here, Joe. Agreed, I took Paxil and it is a fine ssri...but for some folks, the ssri properties tend to exacerbate their moods. It can produce mania in some folks, or the opposite (as the brain's reaction to fighting the mania), i.e., a kind of stupor.

Those are the folks who usually do better on something like Dilantin (which I didn't even realize was an anti-convulsant, but anti-c's are usually a good choice if the ssri produces too many side effects).

Again, nothing wrong with paxil. But this is the kind of assessment based on "who the individual is" and what other traits they seem to have that doctors should do when considering certain meds.

Peace,
Janine
(yet still resistent to finding her Inner Neuro Child)

G

·
Just to add my two cents: Both Paxil and Paxil CR jacked me up a little more than I wanted. Well, alot more really. Just my experience though, and everybody here knows anti-deps can have very different effects on different people.
Dilantin..............and somebody tell me if I'm wrong on this - was the 'ol standby for many years for treatement of epilepsy. I tried it for a short time, maybe............ten years ago, and found that if anything it worked TOO well. Completely blanketed my anxiety, but to the point of causing me to feel about half-way stoned. Can't remember if it was in capsule or tablet form, but I was taking the lowest dose available. I'll tell you what though - if you want to lose anxiety........that stuff will do it.

Gabitril sounds interesting to me, and not only because Homeskooled seems to own stock in the company that produces it (he is always pushing the stuff.) Seems to me I did a search on the old Board, and found very few people had ever posted about using it. Researched it on the Net, and it just seems like something that might actually work. The med lady I see doesn't think it would help me though and is reluctant to prescribe it.

G

·
Thanks again.

I don't know Dilantin yet... does it give depression? It's addictive?

Homeskooled, my doc doesn't know anymore which SSRI to try because I tried them all and hate them all. But he insisted last time on Luvox... which I don't know.

He think I have obsessive tendencies, so Paxil, or Luvox would be good for me.

For now, Paxil doesn't give me so much side effects like Celexa did (obessions) or Effexor (too much DR/DR) or even Remeron (dilated pupils, arythmia). Zoloft was mild, just OK for depression. But at 50 mg, it was too high for me, I feeled too way out of reality.

My psychologist is convinced that I am too nervous since 14 months and I need relif from meds before to be able to do coping methods. I agree too , without meds, I am a hell.

Thanks

Cynthia

·
Registered
984 Posts
Sorry there Janine, I really couldn't help myself. I was even laughing while I typed it. I do keep up on psychoanalytic theory, and I think that people more innately wish to approach their problems as a person with a soul who just needs to find an answer-especially people with DP, because we have a tendency to romanticize life and ponder the mystical and infinite. But I think that we are more products of our brain than it is a product of us. Anyways, just kidding. I'm the house jester here, so you ever need a parody, I'm around.

Just wanted to close with something which I think can help all of us: Buy Gabitril! Buy Gabitril! Cures arthitis, headache, gout, DP, DR, DID, SAD, and any other acronym you can think of! Stays crunchy in milk! Tranquilizes hyperactive children! (Well, okay, that may be an off label usage...) You see, SC, the idea is to buy stock in a medicine while its new, and then shamelessly plug it on mental health websites....Voila! Higher stock value and life on easy street! Okay, seriously, it has less side effects than any other anticonvulsant I know of. Most of them have unknown mechanisms of action, so they mess with about 20 channels in the body we dont have names for yet. And at least two I know of, Tegretol and Depakote, need weekly blood levels and Liver function tests done. Then of course, there's Lamictal's notorious life-threatening rash. I've been wondering why more people on the forum havent tried Gabitril yet myself. But, then again, the stock market is a very unpredictable thing. :wink:

Peace
Homeskooled

G

·
May your stock always rise HS.

I'll work on the med lady a bit more and see if I can get her to let me be the DPSelfHelp GGP (Gabitril Guinea Pig)

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Im against taking any drug right now that directly effects gaba. I want that area of my brain to heal on its own. I remember before this whole drug ordeal what boosted serotonin feels like. I havent felt that way for a long time. I think its pretty common knowledge that serotonin plays a crucial role in how we percieve our environment and is definitely related to cases of depersonalization. My dp seems almost physical, like I view my world (physically) from too far into my skull. I know gaba has a large impact on the secondary systems such as serotonin. One theory is that my gaba is jacked and my serotonin is messed up because of it. That or my benzo withdrawal is over, my gaba is fine, and I was forced to endure so much stress over the past 2 years that Ive completely depleted all my serotonin which was probably low in the first place. Not to mention Im sure the benzos I took also depleted any serotonin I had in my brain. In either situation, a drug which works directly on serotonin should do the trick. I feel that ssris are fairly benign drugs so I think a few trials with these drugs is worth it.

Joe

G

·
Hi,

I wonder if you had tests done (serotonin), and this shows you don't have a lack of serotonin, then why feeling DP and depressed? My EEG also shows a bit of irregularity....

About Gabitril, I have done little research and it's true that it's new that it can beat anxiety. Researches say that it's on phase 4 for anxiety med.

Thanks

Coucouc

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I wasnt aware that there is a test to find out the level of serotonin in the brain? As for Gabitril, the last I heard the jury was still out to wether this drug has addictive potential.

Joe

G

·
Yes, there are a test, it's a spectroscopy. But as you see, I didn,t have a lack of serotonin, and still very very depressed, Dr, DP. So... it worth what it worth. It doesn't mean much.

Thanks!

Cynthia

1 - 20 of 31 Posts