Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I smoked in my teens and early 20s. Then I used oral nicotine for a couple of decades. Nicotine is a difficult addiction. They say it is as difficult as heroin to quit.

I had a friend who had a psychotic illness. He was good so long as he took his Navane. He probably smoked a pack a day. We buried him in his early 50s because

of lung cancer. The most beautiful person I ever knew devoted the 1st 15 years of her life to advocacy on behalf of the mentally ill. She was famously good at what she did.

She finished her education and got married. She was a smoker.

Shortly thereafter, she developed lung cancer. They did everything they could to save her because she was only in her mid 30s. They put her through hell, and then she died.

I have lived long enough to respect smokers. They are very brave.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I like the smell of tobacco ,i liked it since I was a little kid.I used to smoke from time to time ,but I always had this sense of guilt when I smoked.It naturally does not make sense to me to introduce smoke into my lungs.
If God/whatever you believe in ,had made smoking non-toxic ,I would be smoking 2 packs a day.
Even with vaping I get this bad feeling.How I can I be sure that whatever they make the flavors from dont harm my lungs ,for example diacetyl and god knows what else will come up.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Yes, I smoke a lot too. It's really one thing that i should really quit (or cut down) if I really want to recover, but it's the one vice that I have extreme difficulty controlling.

It's not so much that I smoke because I'm stressed or anxious. I actually do it because I feel it helps my creativity. Whether or not that's true, I still fear losing it.

Oh, and it's also still a socially acceptable reason to temporarily escape social situations.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts