Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By far the most debilitating DP symptom for me ... the weird head feeling and general lack of mental clarity. I can function like an average person I suppose but I used to be extremely bright. It seems like it will be impossible for me to regain the sharpness that I once had given how my brain feels constantly messed up.

Has anyone recovered fully or at least like 80% from cognitive issues :/ ? I am going on the 2 year mark now, DP is maybe a teeny bit better than it used to be but I'm still a long way from the person I once was.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Yes, I've improved a lot. In the beginning it was very bad because my mind was always tired and consumed by negative thoughts but now it's clearer and sharper. I don't think dpdr make people stupid, it's more of an emotional thing imo.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I only took a couple of classes each term, but I was able to ace 4 levels of college calculus and a couple of 300 series theoretical math classes. I put a lot of effort into it. Then, I got so ill with a major depressive episode that I couldn't complete my degree, even though my math professors were willing to allow me to complete it from

my home. My math professor discovered the flaw in Intel's Pentium II processor back in the early 90s. I like to think he discovered the flaw while correcting my homework. I had written a nice basic program to do iterations on Taylor Polynomials. If you did each step of the program by hand, you got the right answer. If you compiled the

program and ran it on the Pentium II, it gave the wrong answer. I got an A+ for the program, even though it didn't yield the correct answers. A month or two later, and my math professor was in Time magazine for finding the flaw. Intel didn't handle it very well, and it cost them a couple hundred million dollars in loss of stock value.

So, yes. I think you can work through the cognitive issues, but major depression with insomnia and anxiety will set you back severely.

·
Registered
107 Posts
This is my question too! My cognitive and DP problems got REALLY bad when I tapered off klonopin and had horrific withdrawals. Does anyone else have a lot of problems with conversation and not having anything to say or talk about? I used to have a lot of creative ideas but now it's just blankness. I hope more people can chime in and provide some answers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is my question too! My cognitive and DP problems got REALLY bad when I tapered off klonopin and had horrific withdrawals. Does anyone else have a lot of problems with conversation and not having anything to say or talk about? I used to have a lot of creative ideas but now it's just blankness. I hope more people can chime in and provide some answers.
I have the same problems. I usually have nothing to say but I can "force" myself to participate by forcing thoughts and just making myself contribute ... I mean I guess some people would say that I'm only having the *sensation* of forcing my thoughts and that is a product of over awareness... but honestly I feel like there truly are fewer there.. it's a lot harder to think and I don't think it's just my imagination.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I don't think it's a product of your imagination either dolphin, I absolutely have to force my thoughts most of the time. Sometimes I don't have any energy left to force it because my brain becomes depleted of energy very quickly. Does everyone else feel their brain is always sluggish and fatigued?

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I don't think it's a product of your imagination either dolphin, I absolutely have to force my thoughts most of the time. Sometimes I don't have any energy left to force it because my brain becomes depleted of energy very quickly. Does everyone else feel their brain is always sluggish and fatigued?
Yep I'm exactly the same.. I can usually get by with sheer willpower but sometimes it's too much and I can only give up.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Man, I hope the brain gets better again!

I use to write A LOT, creative writing, that is. Mostly fiction, sometimes poetry. And the words use to flow so easily from me, people commented on how they could 'feel' my words and picture the scenes without issue. Now, I can hardly string a sentence together without thinking really hard on it, and on top of that, it's almost as if my brain actually HURTS when I think too hard. It's really disappointing, so I've given up on what use to be a passion because I cannot think with clarity anymore. It's like a massive block is in the way or something, stopping the channels of thoughts. Mixing up words was also a common factor for me when trying to focus on getting back into it, it became really frustrating and still is when typing.

Honestly, it makes you feel dumb, as though you've lost tons of brain cells. :cry:

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Man, I hope the brain gets better again!

I use to write A LOT, creative writing, that is. Mostly fiction, sometimes poetry. And the words use to flow so easily from me, people commented on how they could 'feel' my words and picture the scenes without issue. Now, I can hardly string a sentence together without thinking really hard on it, and on top of that, it's almost as if my brain actually HURTS when I think too hard. It's really disappointing, so I've given up on what use to be a passion because I cannot think with clarity anymore. It's like a massive block is in the way or something, stopping the channels of thoughts. Mixing up words was also a common factor for me when trying to focus on getting back into it, it became really frustrating and still is when typing.

Honestly, it makes you feel dumb, as though you've lost tons of brain cells. :cry:
I feel you :( Weirdly enough I can do well in advanced math courses (with a lot of effort) yet some things that used to be simple and fun (like writing) are very hard, it feels impossible to produce any shred of creative thought. Hate this.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts