Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Everyone,
I have deal with solipsism thoughts before and have overcome them but now they have come back different and stronger. I started to think what if everyone wasn't real and they were just ghosts of people from previous lives. I know this thought is irrational but my OCD/ DP makes me feel as if its real or something that I should be certain about but im sure we all know certainty with OCD and DP is non existent. Could anyone weigh in on similar thoughts and what you did to recover?

Plant Water Gesture Tree Grass

Wendy
Jun 13 2016 09:34 AM

Welcome to the site!
Head Sky Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting Font

I joined the site in 2013, recovered in 2015, and have stayed recovered up until now. I have dealt with extreme thoughts of Solipsism and it was a substantial struggle to get over, especially due to how nihilistic the beliefs can be.

With that being said, I have recovered and haven't thought about Solipsism for a very long time. I've written a blog post that might interest you: Solipsism is Rubbish, where I attempt to walk through the steps of Solipsism with logic and disprove the idea altogether.

That's what helped me recover. Thinking about it logically, not letting the fear get to my head and allow me to wallow in existential thought processes. It might be difficult at the start, but the more you tell yourself that Solipsism is bullshit, you'll get over it. If you can't walk through a piece of Solipsism logically, feel free to post about it on the forums or message me. The community here is really good at helping people through this.

Another point to note:

"I know this thought is irrational, but my OCD/DP makes me feel as if its real or something."
It's obsessive.

Reinforce this constantly. Your obsessions over Solipsism is a factor of fear, not reality. Your existential outlook on life stems from unreality, not evidence. Keep telling yourself this, all the time, because this is the truth of the matter - Solipsism isn't. I hope that helps - it's what helped me.

(Also, going forward, start posting these in the forums. People don't normally click on blogs, unfortunately!)

Hair Arm Eye Jaw Gesture

JDX2020
Jun 13 2016 11:00 AM

Welcome to the site!
Head Sky Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting Font

I joined the site in 2013, recovered in 2015, and have stayed recovered up until now. I have dealt with extreme thoughts of Solipsism and it was a substantial struggle to get over, especially due to how nihilistic the beliefs can be.

With that being said, I have recovered and haven't thought about Solipsism for a very long time. I've written a blog post that might interest you: Solipsism is Rubbish, where I attempt to walk through the steps of Solipsism with logic and disprove the idea altogether.

That's what helped me recover. Thinking about it logically, not letting the fear get to my head and allow me to wallow in existential thought processes. It might be difficult at the start, but the more you tell yourself that Solipsism is bullshit, you'll get over it. If you can't walk through a piece of Solipsism logically, feel free to post about it on the forums or message me. The community here is really good at helping people through this.

Another point to note:

It's obsessive.

Reinforce this constantly. Your obsessions over Solipsism is a factor of fear, not reality. Your existential outlook on life stems from unreality, not evidence. Keep telling yourself this, all the time, because this is the truth of the matter - Solipsism isn't. I hope that helps - it's what helped me.

(Also, going forward, start posting these in the forums. People don't normally click on blogs, unfortunately!)
Hello Solomon,

Thank you so much for your reply , it means alot to me . Thanks for the advice on the forums, I just posted in there I believe. The thing that gets me stuck in this one is because I haven't really seen anyone with this specific obsession except for one guy who said he would compare people to ghosts. Its sooo frustrating because somewhere deep down you know its irrational but you cant shake the feeling. I would personal message you but my messages arent working well right now, you can try messaging me to see if it works? Glad to hear your doing better and it is really big of you to still help people who are struggling, I always try and lend a hand to people with any sort of anxiety or other mental illness.

Smile Head Facial expression Cartoon Happy

TooruIchii
Aug 31 2016 02:45 AM

Hey man I'm struggling with it too. I just tell myself that if someone else thought of this shit, then it has to be fake. It's not like a god came down and told me "you're the only one that exists". Nah. If someone, another individual, thought of it, then it's bullshit. Philosophers are paid to sit on their asses and think of shit anyways, right? That's all it is. Just thinking. Doesn't mean it's true. And there are a multitude of possibilities one can think of. At some point someone's gonna think of something. Even if it's stupid and ridiculous like solipsism. Just try taking these things with a grain of salt and stay positive always.

Hair Arm Eye Jaw Gesture

Lexy13
Aug 31 2016 09:58 AM

I have been reading that word 'solipsism' a few times now. I do understand why dp is called that: there is an over involvement in the way on feels internally and not just 'feeling' what's going on in life. I don't agree with the idea that one can just stop it by not thinking certain things.
With that being said, I'm trying to speak up for myself more and create some boundaries, which I sense is some of the problem. Or is at least a symptom. So that's a behaviorist take on it. Although it doesn't come naturally.
I think I feel safe in dp bc there is some feeling of being unsafe with others. That I will be hurt or criticized or stepped over. Dp, even though it is a horrible place to dwell in bc it makes me feel lonely and unconnected, gives me this safe space where things don't feel real and therefore can't hurt me. But it is a hard place to dwell in too. It's interesting to note the safety aspect of the disease. I wonder if I can feel more safe in other ways. But sitting on the beach yesterday I felt as if I was exposed and not safe. Maybe it was bc I was in a bathing suit and I have body issues. And maybe bc the time was unstructured allowing too much time for me to be introverted. I don't know. But I want to acknowledge that feeling unsafe is part of why I feel dissociated. I don't know if anyone else can relate to this.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts