Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I find with my DP, for the most part, I only have the symptoms of extreme emotional numbing and a pretty standard baseline of anxiety/discomfort. I constantly feel "off" and like something bad is happening/going to happen even when I realistically know I'm fine.

I don't have issues feeling like my body, hands, or reflection are my own. I feel like my memories are my own but I don't have any emotional connection to them- except for certain memories that trigger extreme anxiety and distress when I recall them. (I've been diagnosed with C-PTSD and my DP stemmed from a build up of trauma and was triggered by cannabis use). I CAN cry, but I don't feel anything when I cry- there's no relief afterwards or anything like that. The only reason I'll know I'm sad is because I'm crying- almost like it's an automatic thing?

Another thing I've noticed is that I rarely get tired anymore- only in extreme cases like when I've worked all day on 2 and a half or three hours of sleep. But even then it always takes me 30 min- an hour and a half to fall asleep. I never fall asleep as soon as my head hits the pillow, no matter how sleep deprived I am.

I don't find any joy or point in life, really, because I don't have any emotions and therefore no motivation, sense of accomplishment or drive to better myself/ get further ahead in life, if that makes sense?

Was just wondering if anyone else only suffers from the emotional symptoms without the disconnect from the body? Don't get me wrong I definitely do not feel grounded or safe in my body, but I am aware that it is mine and I don't feel like I have out of body experiences.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hi
I could of written that myself word for word that's me
My memories do feel distant to me though

I have had depersonalization and derealization over 2 half years now with the typical feelings listed on dp forums and websites.
However the last 6 months my feelings became just that feelings, I cannot relate to the people on here much anymore.

The numbness with me ranges from real bad were I dont feel anything at all for people that I love and care about to a more mild numbness were I can kinda feel the feelings for people but its slightly blocked still like a invisible wall .

Same with my memories it's as if they don't mean a thing to me and it causes anxiety questioning weather I'm even human anymore.
With my memories they can have a distinct feeling to them as if they didn't really happen to me , so you have this ?

My sense of self is back and it's not strange yet my feelings feel abnormal and not my own so in a huge way I dont feel myself still at all .

I do get intense feelings of derealization at times for sometimes no apparent reason at all or at time anxiety can trigger derealization. These feelings are fleeting and dont last very long .

Do be fully honest I dont know if what I'm experiencing is still depersonalization because I'm not feeling like I use to and I cannot relate to the posts on here anymore, until I seen yours .

I'm sorry you feel the same yet I dont feel alone with this oddness that i cannot name , is this depersonalization , a form of dissociation ?

One thing I know for certain is I'm not suffering from depression this I know 100%
So what is this .

I'll be watching this post hoping someone has some insight into this new crazy..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Don't mean to offend you in anyway, cause I have no idea how bad you feel, but maybe it's because your dp is not severe?
One of the first symptoms for me was lack of emotions before it became fullblown dp/dr.

I also had the same problem with not feeling tired for the first 5 years or so. I knew I was tired, but I couldn't feel it.
Crying was nearly impossible for me though.

·
Registered
35 Posts
The part about not being tired is weird. I feel tired all the time and could honestly sleep the whole day without feeling bad about it bc my feelings are switched off.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Yes, exactly this. I also had the not tired thing (along with no hunger or thirst) for a long time and found it absolutely bizarre. I only went to sleep when I knew I must surely need some rest. Now I don't get sleepy tired as such but more of a mental fatigue and drop in mood.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Less severe depersonalization is maybe it , I just wish I had a answer for sure that it was just depersonalization not something else unknown.
I'm more tired now then I've ever been but I reakon if you have high anxiety you will not sleep as well and feel wired ?

No hunger or thirst can be a symptom of depersonalization ive read about that being a symptom

1 - 6 of 6 Posts