Depersonalization Support Forum banner

anybody have any positives from dp?

7K views 22 replies 17 participants last post by  leminaseri 
#1 ·
sounds really stupid huh

but anyways, since my dp, this is what ive found that i guess i got 'better at'

my reflexes r crazy good, idk y, i think its like the constant anxiety maybe? or something

but dude, u kno like how u accidently drop something or if something falls u like go reach to grab it and miss sometimes

once in awhile ull catch it

anyways, dude, my reflexes r off the wall, like ill be washing dishes at my job, something in the corner of my eye can fall off a shelf and ill catch it

and i aint just saying this happend once or twice, for about 2 and a half years now its been like this

like im like a cat breh, crazy reflexes

i mean thats like i guess 1 of the only good things.. if thats even good at all

i mean ill trade that to be normal any day of the week haha

and another 1

vivid dreams

i swear every night i dream, and i remember them, i mean, i can dream 2-3 dreams a night and ill remember everything

sex dreams r the best breh, but waking up sucks ha

but besides all of that

i guess thats all that dp has made 'cool

i mean i would trade any of that shit any day of the century man

but anyways

yall find anything cool from this stuff, any1 else have cat like reflexes?

idk, just maybe making a uplifting topic

have a goodnight yall

hopefully i dream something good lel

See less See more
#2 ·
The most noticeable benefit I've acquired from DP is how social ive become. Before I became depersonalized, I was an introvert. I kept to myself, rarely talked to new people, and I was very self centered. I had terrible social anxiety and wasn't fond of public events. When DP hit, I stopped caring what people thought of me. I decided that since I was dissociated and that I felt numb, I might as well try to associate myself with others, and be more social, because why not. As the months passed by, being social is what helped me cope. This new found social ability allowed me to forget about my DP and focus on the present. Unfortunately when I was alone, I'd get lost in my thoughts and DP would return. Nowadays I'm extremely social, and my DP is basically nonexistent. I can talk to almost anybody with no problem at all. I'm the most social out of my friend group, and I strive to meet new people everyday. I go to parties, meet girls, organize friend get togethers, and I'm doing better at my job than I have ever been before. It's truly amazing. I feel like DPD made me a different person, as I am able to see all my past fears as nonsense and create a new person that's social and outgoing and whatever I want myself to be.

#3 ·
Living in fear (and anger) since age 17, changed my perspective on life. I had to start taking it a lot more serious than I had ever planned to.

I remember reading a biography of Craig Venter. He was a bright young teen who was going to use his intelligence

where it really counted. He was going to use it to have a really good time in life. Get a nice ride, surf, chase girls, get high, etc.

Then he ended up off the coast of Vietnam on a medical ship, helping doctors stitch limbs back on amputee marines fresh off the battlefield.

Craig had an epiphany: (a usually sudden manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of something.)

That something was life itself. It wasn't to be trivialized. He got out of the service and enrolled in school and got serious.

He graduated with a Phd from Stanford about the time that the human genome was discovered. Scientists were thinking

they were only half way there, because it would take 20 or more years to sequence the genome and make it useable.

Craig Venter showed them a way to do it in a few short years. He was named one of the world's most influential men

in numerous publications for doing so. And, once that happens, you get the ride, the girl, and the desire to surf sober.

I see myself as a lesser Craig Venter.

#4 ·
(i dont know if this is really beneficial or if it will go away once the dpdr lifts)

i think it made me more aware of my surroundings and life in general. before, i was asleep, and now i woke up somehow :huh:

Reactions: Demond and eddy1886
#5 ·
DP introduced my to my true compassionate caring loving giving self...

It also scared me off all drugs including alcohol completely...

DP made me realise there is much more to life than materialistic crap......

Im also much more carefree and confident and have learned that I have limits and Im not a machine that needs to constantly live up to the western worlds idea of success...

It has taught me to be much more aware of my all round health, especially when it comes to stress...

So yes there are a lot of positives to be taken long term from the negative hell that is chronic DP...

#6 ·
All these responses make me think that I might not have DP / DR. Or perhaps that I do, and you guys don't, lol. Whatever the case may be, I these responses appear to be opposite of what DP / DR is, at least, according to textbook descriptions. My reflexes are terrible, I'm completely oblivious to my surroundings most of the time, and socializing is just out of the question, at least in real time, face-to-face in person.

For me, one of the benefits I've encountered with my subjective experience (DP or whatever this is, I guess), is in the context of academic work. Given that life feels so abstract to me anyways, and I don't really connect with anything material, I'm better able to grasp immaterial concepts, and work in the realm of ideas. I believe I my "condition" has also helped me to "see" things that others cannot (or don't care to), and to consider possibilities that may be difficult to otherwise imagine. I also tend to look at things extremely objectively, which can be either a blessing or a curse, depending on context.

#7 ·
I assure you, Chip, I have had all those symptoms and then some. It takes a lot of perseverance and a will to get better to overcome such hindrances. To function like a normal human being, thinking like you mentioned is very toxic, no offense. I was the exact same way until I came to the conclusion that thinking such abstractly wasn't going to help me.

" My reflexes are terrible, I'm completely oblivious to my surroundings most of the time, and socializing is just out of the question, at least in real time, face-to-face in person."

For the first 5 months of DPD, I was this way. Re-learning to just let my words flow smoothly greatly improved my overall well being. Believe it or not, you can speak without thinking about it, something in which was extremely hard for me to re-learn.

All in all, I'd say to try as hard as possible to focus your attention elsewhere and try to solely focus on forgetting about your thoughts. In the worst of my DPD, I couldn't have a conversation without thinking about it beforehand, same goes with completing simple tasks. The more I thought about these symptoms, the worse they became. Just letting my thoughts and actions flow without thinking about them was hard at first, and I mean very hard, but with practice, and making it a daily thing, it's like second nature. Everyday feels better than the last.

#8 ·
The strength and endurance developed to overcome dp/dr may fail to do so, but it can propel you farther than you had initially anticipated. I realized I was limited in developing my mental health. I didn't know how to stop the spells, migraine auras, or the

popping and clicking in my ears. I started by finishing 1st in my class at a prominent vocational school for electronics technology. It was difficult, but I worked and sacrificed and worked some more.

I would carry 25lb dumbbells up 11 flights of 18 steps per flight - 8 times every other night to strengthen my legs. I did squats and lunges until I was dunking basketballs at 6'1" tall. . I won a couple racquetball tournaments playing in the open class.

I wanted to compete. I didn't want to be left behind. How can someone with those limitations perform in the manner I did?

That's probably what the mental health professionals thought, and it is a big reason why they never made the effort to diagnose my illness.

So I diagnosed it for myself. I learned about epilepsy and migraines and the tinnitus caused by palatal myoclonus which is caused by epileptic activity.

Then I made them perform the tests that showed them I figured it out, so I could look them in the eye and say "thanks for nothing."

Which I recently did, in tying up loose ends. I wrote my first therapist, who still has her shingle out. I wrote the hospital's neurology department

where I presented to the emergency room following my initial temporal lobe seizures. I was diagnosed as having hyperventilated.

I explained how not being consulted by their neurologist following my pathological EEG at age 17, sentenced me to life as an undiagnosed epileptic.

#11 · (Edited by Moderator)
Nothing but anguish so far, I would rather have the sadness/ depression than this shit.

Only thing I can say is when I do beat this and get better, I will live life to the fullest. No more going to work then home and sitting on my arse playing games all day with no life.

I'm going to do the things I had aspirations for before I got this shit, get fit, look for a girlfriend and hopefully fall in love, track down old friends and apologise for a falling out, make new friends, get a tattoo, go to a chiropracto to try and resolve the back pain from my car accident, seek more help about the acne keloid scarring on my back.

#14 ·
The life game becomes so obvious to you. I don't think any teacher, religion, philosopher could change your views on life as much as DPDR does.
We become Realists...

Not Pessimists and Not Optimists...

REALISTS....This is actually the best way to deal with anxiety and depression....Look at the world as it exactly is...Full of bad but full of good too...

This is how we create boundaries and protect ourselves but yet can still enjoy the world...

#15 ·
We become Realists...

Not Pessimists and Not Optimists...

REALISTS....This is actually the best way to deal with anxiety and depression....Look at the world as it exactly is...Full of bad but full of good too...

This is how we create boundaries and protect ourselves but yet can still enjoy the world...
Couldn't have said it any better. That is exactly how one should approach life.

#16 ·
Well, I could say that I like how I became a more analytical, rational, and realistic person. I'm sure it played a part in shaping my personality, but I can't say how much and how I would be if it hadn't afflicted me, though. That's the only good thing I can come up with, thinking of it as a major determinant of my personality-in a positive sense, that is.

Reactions: kylekatarn
#18 ·
The life game becomes so obvious to you. I don't think any teacher, religion, philosopher could change your views on life as much as DPDR does.
THIS

Reactions: Mere-Observer
#19 ·
Hello everyone,

I would like to share my story and how I completely recovered. It started because of marijuana and periods of extreme stress. But mainly because of the marijuana. I thought i was completely fucked and could never have a normal life again, but here i am writing this story and tbh I laugh about it today. My dp started in 2016 and lasted for about a year and a half. The first step i took is that i stopped coming to these forums. These forums are TOXICCC!!! Moving on, one of the best steps i took was that i started exercising. All you need is mild exercise, just to get the blood flowing and bringing the body back to homeostasis. My turning point was when i started meditating, 10-15 minutes of mindful meditation. From that point onwards my mind automatically stopped dwelling on the idea of dp and I slowly stopped being aware of it. As time went by I completely started forgetting about it. At first i thought about it for a few times a day, as time went by i started feeling very normal and came back in the daily routine of my life. And here i am today, completely dp free, i dont even know why it came across my mind today. Anyways, all i would suggest is that stop thinking about your symptoms, stop searching about them, just know that anything and everything you are feeling and thinking about is because your brain is tired and needs rest and rebalance. The more you dwell on it and come to these forums, the more you'll make yourself aware about it. Force yourself to live a normal life and slowly your mind will get accustomed to it. And, I promise you it will go away and you'll laugh about it like me. Cheers and love. Stay happy and healthy.

#20 ·
The most noticeable benefit I've acquired from DP is how social ive become. Before I became depersonalized, I was an introvert. I kept to myself, rarely talked to new people, and I was very self centered. I had terrible social anxiety and wasn't fond of public events. When DP hit, I stopped caring what people thought of me. I decided that since I was dissociated and that I felt numb, I might as well try to associate myself with others, and be more social, because why not. As the months passed by, being social is what helped me cope. This new found social ability allowed me to forget about my DP and focus on the present. Unfortunately when I was alone, I'd get lost in my thoughts and DP would return. Nowadays I'm extremely social, and my DP is basically nonexistent. I can talk to almost anybody with no problem at all. I'm the most social out of my friend group, and I strive to meet new people everyday. I go to parties, meet girls, organize friend get togethers, and I'm doing better at my job than I have ever been before. It's truly amazing. I feel like DPD made me a different person, as I am able to see all my past fears as nonsense and create a new person that's social and outgoing and whatever I want myself to be.
Well, when I got into DP I started live my life more alone, doing things that I previously was anxious. I was walking wherever I want, even in late hours, I didn't were afraid of other people because outside world was like a haze. I avoided people because every conversation was meaningless to me. I was startinting to view world as meaningless and almost non existent, and wondering about my place in universe. I hate people a little and envy them how they are connected to the world and I'm completely numb.

#21 ·
I was religious catholic and I believed in hell for a years and feared that religious concept. After being stuck into this DP for years now, concept of hell is now what happening to me and if there is hell it's here in us during this lifetime.

Second, DP made me existentialist philosopher even more. But, now I just want to be like everyone else, here and now.

#22 ·
One positive that I’ve noticed is that I’m in a way protected from all my bad emotions. Sure dpdr is very very torturing and hard but it keeps me from feeling the thing that triggered it in the first place. I feel myself feeling kind of empty the days the dpdr wears off because I no longer have the “bubble” around me protecting me. It’s like being wrapped in bubble wrap that keeps me from absolutely breaking apart.

#23 ·
One positive that I've noticed is that I'm in a way protected from all my bad emotions. Sure dpdr is very very torturing and hard but it keeps me from feeling the thing that triggered it in the first place. I feel myself feeling kind of empty the days the dpdr wears off because I no longer have the "bubble" around me protecting me. It's like being wrapped in bubble wrap that keeps me from absolutely breaking apart.
i can relate very well

Reactions: lost235
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.