Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i know the title is super long but this is something that has really been bothering me for a week or so now. i just feel like nothing is real and my life is just a movie playing on a screen and im not in my body and i'm just floating somewhere alone in space. it feels like nothing i say or think or do is real, yet i also feel like i'm the only real one. i know it's confusing. i have no idea on how to explain it.

everytime i leave my house i instantly get these feelings (their always in the background and i usually think about it like every five minutes otherwise) hell, even leaving my room is horrible. my only real coping mechanism that i have is being on the internet and listening to music. i guess it distracts me? i dunno. not even talking to my family or friends helps really. i don't know what to do anymore. everytime i get off my phone or laptop or pause my music i feel anxious and detached. it's gotten to the point where i can't sleep because as soon as i get off my laptop the thoughts and feelings come and it keeps me awake.

being on the internet doesn't even take the feelings away completely either. it kinda just helps me cope with them so they're not that bad. they haven't ever gone away since last year when they first happened. i don't even know what to do anymore. i'm never going to get better, am i?

anyway, i just wanted to know if anyone felt similar and how they coped with/are coping with it + tips on how to not feel so detached all the time. any response at all is appreciated tbh.

·
Registered
235 Posts
I would say the most important thing is to try and gain some control back in your life. Whether that be pursuing a dream, making money, developing a skill of some kind, helping others regularly. Having this control can help ease anxiety as you feel you are in charge to an extent. Once you have an idea of how you want to gain control, you can do a lot of things to ease the physical anxiety in your body, which will in turn ease the dp a lot. If you haven't already, I would suggest cutting right back on caffeine, reducing alcohol to a minimum, exercising most days (e.g. jogging or swimming), getting outside every day for at least half an hour, drinking lots of water and eating a healthy diet. All that really does help and makes a difference quickly. If you do all those things routinely, you will start to feel better in a short space of time but it may take a lot longer to feel fully recovered. If it doesn't then there are still many options such as therapy and medication and simply allowing time and rest to get to a better place.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Hi KingKibble,

I've been dealing with a lot of detachment like you since about last year. I feel the same in that my only real source of almost being distracted is by using the computer or doing a similar hobby.

Because it's been a year for me I also get the feeling and sensation that I will never recover but when I think about it I am a lot better than I was 8 months ago, relying on medications less, less mental agony with the racing thoughts.

I think it's important that you get the sleep sorted, which will allow you to recover. I used to have real problems getting to sleep and it felt like hell when I put my head down and was just left with the feeling inside my head.

To do this I've been put on very sedating medications which I take at night, mirtazapine, olansapine and valium. This combo works great for me. Have a chat with your Dr. Sleep is very important in Dp

·
Registered
125 Posts
My advice is to, for a portion of the time, not do anything. Try to focus your mind on something simple and good, or just watch your thoughts come and go like a passive observer.

New technology give us access to almost anything we want in an instant, for a price. However, it can't bring us peace and mental health. In addition, our society is a hyper-competitive one where many of us feel as though relaxation is the same as losing. Most of us have become addicted to constant activity.

My second suggestion, which is a harder one to act on, is to find people you're comfortable doing nothing with. I mean, people you can just sit on the beach or watch a silly movie with. That should pull you out of your shell at least a little bit.

I wish I could tell you that your DP is definitely going to go away, but I can't see the future. It might very well go away, but that might require some changes. I haven't gotten rid of the DR symptoms, but I've gotten rid of most of the DP symptoms such as feeling disembodied and seeing things in 2D.

Hopefully you can figure out the generic tips on your own, such as sleeping better, eating better, finding a decent counselor, and so on.
What helped you with the 2d feeling? It's like it comes and goes for me..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.