Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been experiencing nonstop dissociation since I graduated the 12th grade In May. At first I thought I'd be able to manage it on my own in college because I thought it would go away or get better on its own and It wasn't as severe as it is now for me. I am completely unable to focus because of my dissociation and am falling really behind in school so I made an appointment with a new Psychiatrist because I REALLY need to get better, I've tried everything at this point.

I've had a psychiatrist in the past for my ADHD but she recently retired. I just feel very awkward talking about all of this with a psychiatrist because It's something a lot less talked about and more out of the ordinary than ADHD. I've always been really healthy mentally minus trouble focusing but my adderrall really helped with that. I feel like my doctor is going think I'm crazy or have absolutely no idea what I'm talking about and misdiagnose me. (I don't want to be sent to a mental ward lol) I guess I'm just not sure how to bring up the subject completely on the first day I meet with my new doctor since I've only told my mom and boyfriend about what I'm going through. I don't want to overwhelm him either, I suffer from a lot of the more serious/bizarre symptoms of DPD (which I'm 95% sure I have).

Does anyone have any advice to help me talk about this sort of thing without freaking my doctor out? I know he probably sees weird stuff every day but I just feel a bit uncomfortable. I just want to really tell the truth about what's going on with tme without seeming extremely delusional because I really really want this to end.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I've never really been to a psychiatrist but I've heard that they help, I suggest to be totally honest and tell him about your disorder and If he's had experience with the disorder than great! but if he hasn't heard nothing about it then just explain to him and tell him that your positive that you have it. Psychiatrist are there to help you and i'm sure he has heard more crazier stuff in the past, so dont be ashamed or nervous to tell him about some disorder that makes you feel stoned. Hope everything goes great and that he will be a nice caring psychiatrist, Goodluck!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts