Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am 14 years old, and I got really bad derealization disorder when I was maybe 10 (Either 9 or 10 years old). I get vertigo, pass out (sometimes), and sleep-deprived (Waking up in the middle of the night and having panic attacks (And not being able to fall asleep until the next night)). I also get migraines but I think that has to do with something else.

I have never done ANY drugs or drink (The closest thing to an alcoholic beverage I have had is a sip of wine (I am Jewish so it is a Tradition at some holidays)). I can't focus anymore on anything, and some nights I don't know if I want to live (I have since found a way to avoid feeling this way so don't worry). I don't know why I have this stupid disorder, and many people say "It gets better over time" but honestly, right now is the worst it has been since it all started. The only possible cause I can think of is my Tourette Syndrom (Diagnosed at 4), but I don't think it would cause anything like this.

Do most people get it from quitting drugs? Or do you have any things you do to distract yourself? Please let me know if you have any suggestions? I am DESPERATE and so frustrated.

(Sorry if I formatted this weird, I am new and I am used to Stack Overflow lol)

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I think polls have been conducted on this forum which suggest that cannabis is a leading cause of depersonalization and/or derealization. Smokers experience traumatic panic attacks and wake up the next day with an impaired interface to self or their environment. Something similar happened to me at age 17. Immediately after smoking cannabis, I had my first temporal lobe seizure. As a result, my "post ictal psychosis segued into an affective disorder of recurrent major depression." I also began to suffer frequent migraine auras, which I continue to experience to date, almost 50 years after the initial incident.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Mine started 2 week after literally having 6 drags of a joint and when it first started it was off the scale intense.

The trick is to use no distractions - let the thoughts come into your head and label them "intrusive". It's like listening to your favourite song time and time again you get bored. Same principle with DP. I'm down to my last distraction (my phone) initially I was using all kinds of distractions, which intensified the anxiety.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts