Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DP can be absolutely crippling and make you retreat into yourself and withdraw from a lot of responsibilities. I wondered if there are many people who have it chronically and have had it for so long that they are used to it and work stressful jobs despite the DP and take on new challenges even when it flares up the DP really badly. Anyone out there like that? I don't know where I would categorise myself. I do feel restricted by DP. It means I have avoided a lot of situations. I do work full time in an office and am in a senior role though and it has it's pressures. I'm about to move onto a new job and it's stressing the hell out of me. I don't know if i should be doing this or choosing a much more restricted life instead. It's striking that balance of facing your fears while not overwhelming yourself too much. I know that DP is ultimately there only as a defence mechanism so I try to keep reminding myself of that. Even though I'm not being chased by a bloody tiger, I'm in an office, but my nervous system seems to think otherwise.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yup, working part time and the other part time I’m in class or my internship. I don’t think my dp is chronic to stop me from doing anything, first of all I hate staying home unless I need to go to bed. I don’t think it’s a bad thing to work with dp or dr, I rather be distracted and around other people, I notice and feel it less. Mine doesn’t flare up so much when I’m in school or work but when I’m driving, it does and I just take some ashwagandha or tea and then I’m okay again.

·
Registered
343 Posts
No. I'm about as low-functioning as can be right now, but I wouldn't attribute that to DPDR so much as I would attribute it to my other physical symptoms.

·
Registered
445 Posts
In the past yes, i was high functioning with it. I worked in cancer research at a major hospital and studied to be a dietitian on the side. Back then though, i was tough. These days, i recognise my mind is malfunctional and not really built for modern life, whenever i push it too far i am sent back to thw dark ages with depression or dp. At the moment i have been incapacitated for years, i do intermittent work at factory jobs and coal yards but most of my time is spent at home feeling shit

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I overcame agoraphobia by taking baby steps off my front porch. I ended up in Europe in the military. During my service, I was entitled to "Pro Pay" for my proficiency test scores. I never got it, because Congress never funded it.

I set production records in my job feeding blast furnaces at US Steel. I trained to dunk a basketball, and did. I graduated at the top of my class of 35 at a technical college.

I believe a Calculus IV homework project motivated my math professor to investigate inconsistencies in the Intel Pentium II processor. He discovered a flaw in the arithmetic logic unit of the Pentium II which caused a $400 million loss of Intel stock.

He was featured in Time magazine. I had written a nice basic program to manipulate Taylor polynomials. It was perfect in every way, except it did not give the correct answer. The Pentium II became suspect. All I got out of it was an A+ for a program that didn't work on the P2.

I won 3 open bracket racquetball tournaments, beating semi pro players in the process. I once played the #1 racquetball player in the world. (a demonstration match).

I attained the highest paying hourly wage job at the USPS, and worked it until retirement. . I own my home and several vehicles. I have 2 children who are doing well in life.

I cared for my blind springer spaniel for 18+ years. I took him hunting and we bagged a grouse! He was so proud! I survived and continue to thrive after CABGX5 some 16 years ago. Medical Science wouldn't diagnose me because of my high functioning,

but at age 57 I diagnosed myself and the appropriate tests established that I had been suffering an epileptic syndrome comorbid with major depression for 40 years. I was told I was disabled.

If I am, I have been disabled since I was 17. I'm 64 now. I had ECT in 2014 and it's been all good since. I keep up with politics. I am frequently published in the editorial section of my local newspaper. I play billiards competitively and

recently won my local American Pool Players Assn Most Valuable Player Award for the highest skill levels. I'm off to regionals in March to compete for a freebie to Vegas!

Don't ask about the low points.

·
Registered
818 Posts
My 96 year old grandmother is more functional than me mentally... well socially lol I'm not stupid, but I struggle with social situations to an extreme level and just shut down. I have no idea how to overcome that either

·
Registered
138 Posts
Depends where you draw the line at low-functioning and high-functioning...
When i had it, i think id consider myself higher functioning because i was able to force myself to do things that seemed utterly daunting and impossible with the amount of fear i had about leaving my house, much less my room...i even got a impromtu job with my friend at a ren fair (made my dp so much worse, dear god, but i still worked till the season was over)

Sidenote: im not even sure if i am fully normal since my recovery. Still get moments where i feel im on autopilot or that im in a dream and get weird visual disturbances, im just not convinced my it now and only happens a few times a week a few times a day, maybe more if im more depressed.

·
Banned
13 Posts
Yes. In the beginning i didn’t work for about a month. Then I had to force myself to get back on track before I ended up in the poor house. I was confined to my living room and used my phone 20 hours a day.. only thing that I knew was real at the time. Driving? Forget about it. Grocery shopping? Hell no. Leaving my house at night or sunset?? I would’ve probably killed you if you tried. These days I’m doing all that and more. I even started back in the gym & working full time again. My DR is mostly gone but it has definitely left me with some nasty residual issues that have seemed to wax and wane as time goes on ( if you want to know just ask) I’ve made it passed the anniversary of the panic attacks that caused this and I reflected heavily on that day because this has truly changed my life forever

1 - 11 of 11 Posts