Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone here tried antipsychotics as a treatment for dp/dr. I know most people freak out when they hear antipsychotics, but a lot of psychiatrist, when they hear the word depersonalization and dissociation tend to prescribe very low doses of antipsychotics, much much lower then schizophrenia or other disorders. For them it's the treatment of choice for dp, besides the usual stuff like antidepressants. I've tried as many as 3 different kinds, the lowest possible dose, but none has really worked for dp as much. And higher doses give me side effects. I would like to know other people's experience in here.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Antipsychotics are pretty much just major tranquilizers, while benzodiazepines are minor tranquilizers. So some psychs will prescribe APs in low doses for anxiety. Like all psych drugs, they work for some and not for others.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Antipsychotics are pretty much just major tranquilizers, while benzodiazepines are minor tranquilizers. So some psychs will prescribe APs in low doses for anxiety. Like all psych drugs, they work for some and not for others.
Are you sure about that? I believe that in high doses they are prescribed for Psychosis.

·
Registered
449 Posts
some antipsychotics are also given as stabilizers not only for psychosis . such as seroquel for example . I took seroquel over a year or so . because I thought I am bipolar even though I wasnt and I told my doc that I have ups and downs and asked for a stabiljzer and he gave it to me . first time I took it I felt as if I literally am on drugs ...

@OP

antipsycbotics did help me a little . I took Perazine/Taxilan , amisulpride (but only 2 weeks) , and sulpiride sometimes in a very low dose

perazine was ok . it helps a little in making you sleep , and makes dp a little more bearable

first night I took it I actually slept very good and it dramatically improved my mood and made my dp better . the first day I took amisulpride it also made me feel a lot better and my dp was almost completely gone but I couldnt tolerate it because it made me too restless so I had to stop ...especially because that restlessness made me actually feel worse . but first day I took it it helped a lot

sulpiride helps a little with the "did I die feeling " and makes you think a little clearer too

·
Registered
343 Posts

·
Registered
1,416 Posts
I took 100mg of Seroquel for insomnia. It worked. I slept 8 hours a night when taking it. It also eased my heavy anxiety. I didn't really care for the fogginess it gave me,

but it took care of my major issues and I would take it again under the same circumstances. Maybe not. I had succesful ECT in 2014. I have felt great the previous 5 years.

I have taken no psych meds for the last 2 years. I think I'm done with psych meds. I will go back to the ECT if it comes to that.

·
Registered
89 Posts
i've had really bad experiences with antipsychotics, i dont think i'll ever try another one. i believe i've tried three different ones? but i'm not sure...

·
Registered
Drummer, Sound Engineer, Music
979 Posts
plenty of misinformation. Akathisia for example is a common side effect in A LOT of medication, changes of having it on an AS is around 20% and that study was done with high doses, so. Akathisia is common in Antidepressants and I have it without medication. Changing medication to suit your side effects is part of any trial of medication.

I've taken AS and found them useful, for me Olanzapine was the nicest one i've tried but I only like them when paired with an AD, it all varies, if your doctor wants you to try one, i'd be open to a trial, mainly because most from what i've read of people who are happy with there meds take a AD + AS combo, i'd say hands down the most common.

My biggest relief and regret is stopping Mirtazapine with Olanzapine. Like a lot of people when I tried what worked before it didn't work again, which is why many preach the "if it's not broken don't fix it"...

·
Registered
449 Posts
I am taking zyprexa/olanzapine 2.5mg since 2 days and feel a lot better . I am in hospital since 3 weeks

not sure if zyprexa helps with dp but it made my brain cool down a bit and I feel more like my "normal self" again

but the doc said if I gain weight on it we will try another one

I hope I wont get fat on it (it is a common side effect with thia drug) because I would like to take it for a while

·
Registered
Drummer, Sound Engineer, Music
979 Posts
How's hospital going Psyborg?

Also if you don't mind me asking, is it DR/DP or were you having other difficulties? I know here that you can't get a hospital stay easily and DP is treated like an anxiety thing, which if you go to hospital for you'll be sent packing

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
The very first thing anybody is going to do when they have a bad experience with a medication is shoot it down as evil and try to warn every other person on the planet to avoid it like the plague...This is actually dangerous advice...The fact is that same medication could be a life saver for another individual...So tread very very carefully when you feel the need to tell suffering individuals that a certain med is gonna make them worse....

We are ALL playing a guessing game of trial and error when it comes to meds for treating DP with success...

One of these days people are going to realise that we are ALL DIFFERENT and as a result meds will have different effects on each of us as individuals...

I get annoyed when people demonise medicines that have made them feel bad when other people in fact have been given their lives back by the same drugs...

When it comes to meds especially for DP an OPEN MIND is essential......

1 - 20 of 33 Posts