Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this site (url posted below) very imformative. For instance I read that when one is withdrawing from Xanax switching to another benzo doesn't help. One must taper off Xanax by itself. Also Xanax is the most addictive of all the benzos and it's half life is 11 hours. I am thinking I would like to try and discontinue Xanax, but I don't want to substitute another drug for it. I just quit drinking fivemonths ago and I had been drinking 6 + drinks a day for thirty years. worked great for me and my DP/DR. in combination with a small amount of Xanax. And i miss the drinking in particualr for that reason. I didn't have any noticaeable withdrawal symptoms when I stopped drinking. (cold turkey) But I did double my daily Xanax intake. Anyway I don't want to be moving to fast with this. One of the things I like so much about Xanax is that I have control over the effects. i.e. if I take 3/4 of a mg and after a half hour or so that doesn't seem to be enough in knocking back anxiety I can take an additional 1/4mg. I will have to say though I do think and feel that Ihave reached a point where I am medicating withdrawal symptoms sometimes rather than existing anxiety. Of course is is very difficult at this time to determine one from the other. My gravest concern is being so dependant upon the medical profession because of my habituation to this drug. The other day I was asking a pharmacist about XanaxXR a one a day time release tablet and when I told him I had been taking Xanax for many years he sort of gave me the "cold shoulder" and made me feel as though I was a criminal or something. I hate this sort of attitude amongst medical professionals.

My regular friendly pharmacist told me that the effective dosage of Xanax in part is correlated to the state of ones nervous system at the time one takes the drug. The nervous system itself is dynamic and isn't always the same. Therefore sometimes 1/2mg will be enough other times 3/4 mg or even one mg will be necessary to achieve the same effect. I like the ability and freedom to sort of micro manage the drugs I take into my system rather than taking some arbitrary amount according to some medical text book. Anyway here is the link I guess it should be considered for the link section on this site, but I wanted other readers to be aware of it s existence. Perhaps everybody already knows about it and it is just news to me.

http://www.crazymeds.org/

·
Registered
749 Posts
JOHN, Is xanax for anxiety? i was at doctors the other day, ive been on propanadol and they wanted me to go on a one a day high dose tablet, the whole idea freaked me out, it rather take smaller doses frequently throughout the day, and feel like i have some control over it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes dreamcatcher

Xanax is prescribed for anxiety and panic disorders. Also some believe it has a mild anti depressive quality. I'm with you about having the greatest control possible over my dosing schedule. I prefer to have a drug that acts quickly and is in and out of my system sooner rather than later. Of course I suppose it depends on the kind of drug one is taking and their reasons for taking it.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hey John,

Tho I never took xanax myself, Ive read that interdose withdrawal is very common. Ive also read that the short half life of xanax sometimes requires people to take it 2-3x per day just to beat back the withdrawal symptoms. I know a woman who started out with 1mg of xanax and at the end of her "treatment" it required over 30mg per day just to stay ahead of the withdrawal.

I also quit drinking cold turkey after 3 years of being a alcohol "enthusiast". I had next to no withdrawal symptoms. I wish I could say the same for my benzo withdrawal. Im not sure I agree with your idea of a direct taper. Most benzo addiction experts will tell you that the only tried and tested method is a x-over to valium(1mg xanax=20mg valium) and then a slow taper over a period of months or even years. Valium has a very long half life and allows for a very slow drop in blood concentration. Valium doesnt bind as tightly to the receptors as the high potency benzos like xanax and klonopin. These qualities make it a much better choice for tapering.

Joe

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Found an interesting quotation in my chem drug book:

"Problems with the Benzodiazepines. The controversy about BZD abuse liability is compounded when they are taken by persons who suffer from a sort of chronic anxiety syndrome that is not attributable to any crisis in their lives but is more or less an intractable feature of their personality. The anxiety they experience when they stop taking BZDs is not so much a withrawal syndrome as a recurrence of their problem, and it does not seem surprising that they feel the need to use BZD on a daily basis. Again, we are up against cultural value judgements: most red-blooded Americans fell that people should not have to take drugs because they are anxious, even if the anxiety is debilitatingly painful. Either they are "really" drug addicts or they are just "worrywarts." The proper cure for their problem is simply to stop worrying you see."

Pages 138-139

The Chemistry of Mind-Altering Drugs:
History, Pharmacology, and Cultural Context

Daniel M. Perrine
American Chemical Society
Washington, D.C. 1996

Also, these benzos are far more complex if you have a look at the chemical structures. Some produce metabolites, others have varying half-lives. Half-life depends on the unique metabolism of the individual, male/female, height, weight, health, liver function, etc., etc., etc.

My only comment: Everyone is Unique! Vive La Difference!
Pax
D :shock:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts