Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi friends

For awhile today I was having a hard time with DP and feelings of non-existence. I felt numb and had thoughts that I didn't have a head and that my mind was simply made out of air, that i didn't actually exist except as an idea. "I think therefore I am" (Descarte) of course my rational mind knew that I had a physical head but I couldn't get a bodily sense that my head was actually there and it was disrupting my entire body image unity, particularly my arms began to feel unreal or free floating. It was extremely stressful, terrifying in fact.
And then it dawned upon me that i must have a head because when I looked around at things I was experiencing the visual perspective that would be exactly the same angle of vision for a person of my height. I.e. I am fairly short (5'6") for a male and everything I was looking at while standing was seen viewed from that height. I found this very reassuring and my anxiety which was moving quickly into feelings of panic was greatly reduced and I felt much more real almost instantly.

I just wanted to share this insight with others reading here in case anyone else might find it useful like I did.

john

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi friends

For awhile today I was having a hard time with DP and feelings of non-existence. I felt numb and had thoughts that I didn't have a head and that my mind was simply made out of air, that i didn't actually exist except as an idea. "I think therefore I am" (Descarte) of course my rational mind knew that I had a physical head but I couldn't get a bodily sense that my head was actually there and it was disrupting my entire body image unity, particularly my arms began to feel unreal or free floating. It was extremely stressful, terrifying in fact.
And then it dawned upon me that i must have a head because when I looked around at things I was experiencing the visual perspective that would be exactly the same angle of vision for a person of my height. I.e. I am fairly short (5'6") for a male and everything I was looking at while standing was seen viewed from that height. I found this very reassuring and my anxiety which was moving quickly into feelings of panic was greatly reduced and I felt much more real almost instantly.

I just wanted to share this insight with others reading here in case anyone else might find it useful like I did.

john

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
that's the way to work it, John. :)

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
that's the way to work it, John. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.