Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I strongly believe, as many others do, that the reason DP/DR continues to intrude our lives is because of anxiety and stress. Specifically the anxiety and stress of dealing with DP/DR. However, the type of anxiety each of us faces may or may not be different. I've recently read two articles on two specific types of anxiety, amygdala based anxiety and cortex based anxiety. I will provide the articles below, but basically it seems like people who suffer from amygdala based anxiety suffer from social phobias and trauma like PTSD, while people who suffer from cortex based anxiety suffer from OCD, generalized anxiety disorder. No matter what kind of anxiety you experience, it is what causing your DP/DR. That's why I think some methods or programs for DP/DR, like Harris Harrington's program, focus on trauma for people who have experienced real trauma in their past. However, perhaps this doesn't work for everyone. Like me, I experienced more anxiety than any trauma so I have to work on my anxiety and not any hidden trauma I may or may not have.

I relate more to cortex based anxiety because I feel that I only get really anxious when I think about my triggers. My anxiety never really explodes for no reason or is triggered from a certain external stimuli, it usually comes from a thought pertaining to existentialism, death, the derealization I'm experiencing, the fear that I'll go crazy or never get better, etc.

I think a lot of people have the very same issue. Simply put people, the constant fear of DP/DR is what keeps you in DP/DR. The more you perceive your DP/DR as a threat the more it sticks with you. That's simply it. You THINK DP/DR and the sensations you feel are a threat and that keeps your amygdala on high alert which causes the DP/DR to stick around. DP/DR is a defense mechanism against threats you perceive and when you're under the influence of DP/DR you perceive MANY threats. Insanity, the world falling apart, reality being fake, everything looking scary and unfamiliar. The more you're scared of these things, the longer DP/DR will stay.

Now, how to treat your anxieties and fears? Well it's true when people say ignoring DP/DR thoughts is the best form of treatment, because when you ignore them your brain begins to understand you're not under any threats.

Anyway, back to the ABA and CBA, both these forms of anxiety and treatable and curable, BUT both require different methods which I think is very important. ABA for example recommends doing exposure therapy while CBA recommends mindfulness and doing psychotherapy. But I suggest doing more research on these types on anxieties and which one you relate to the most so you can get a better understanding on how to treat it.

Anyway I hope recovery for all of you and have a good day!

http://www.balancingbrainchemistry.co.uk/peter-smith/125/Anxiety-Treatment-Naturally-Without-Drugs/Amygdala-Based-Anxiety-Treatment.html

http://www.balancingbrainchemistry.co.uk/peter-smith/126/Anxiety-Treatment-Naturally-Without-Drugs/Cortex-Based-Anxiety-Treatment-.html

·
Registered
375 Posts
I'm definitely cortex related, always have been. I don't have deep-seeded phobias or more traditional fears of animals, dangerous people, disease, etc. I've always just had a problem with thinking too much and too hard, in addition to being raised in a messed up family system with a lack of love and borderline physical abuse.

My newest theory is that DP is a result of nerve dysfunction due to excess anxiety, though the details I'm unsure of. The problem is, some people stress these nerves to such an extent that they actually break and end up with 24-7 DP (like me), and some are simply pushing those nerves to the brink whenever they have anxiety which is why there are so many theories about decreasing anxiety in order to control DP. It's just like an overworked muscle. Some people can feel a strain every time they work out but can still exercise and move that muscle knowing how far they can push it while others have totally pulled it and have pain and can't hardly walk.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts