Depersonalization Support Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been on Quetiapine before and switched to a new medication that works the same or better (not worsening dpd)?

I'm on it mostly for insomnia now and helps with anxiety. My concern is around the fact that it's not good for people with heart history or diabetes. I haven't been diagnosed but have a family history of both so who knows

So if you have any good experience with an alternative without drastic side effects -sounds impossible for antipsychotics but- share please

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
I had 5 heart bypasses and took Seroquel for a few months on two separate occasions. No one ever told me it was bad for my heart. I suspect my insomnia posed a greater risk to my health.

Seroquel provided 8 hours of sleep. That wasn't just 8 hours to the good, it also took away 8 hours to the bad. Insomnia can be more than not sleeping. It can be suffering extreme anxiety during

a time one should be having restorative sleep. Insomnia is like burning the candle at both ends. I reduced the dosage until I found the minimum that induced sleep. If I remember correctly, that

was 75mg. I didn't particularly like the fog that accompanied it, though the fog was better than the anxiety it displaced. I discontinued it when I no longer needed it, and I never regretted taking

it because I needed it. I'm sorry but I don't know of a better alternative. If there is one, I'd like to know myself. I'm just glad that Seroquel was there when I needed it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I'm gonna follow this. I'm also on seroquel for sleep (taking 12.5mg is enough for me right now). 25mg for sleep and i'll be groggy all day long.

Has anyone been on Quetiapine before and switched to a new medication that works the same or better (not worsening dpd)?

I'm on it mostly for insomnia now and helps with anxiety. My concern is around the fact that it's not good for people with heart history or diabetes. I haven't been diagnosed but have a family history of both so who knows

So if you have any good experience with an alternative without drastic side effects -sounds impossible for antipsychotics but- share please
Are you also taking seroquel during the day? I'v always wondered what would happen if I took it during daytime (like a very small dose).

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
I take a low dose of Sulpiride first thing every morning....It works wonders for me as regards DP, paranoia, panic and high anxiety levels etc and gets me through every day much much better than if i took it late at night...In fact it doesnt do the same job if i take it late at night....

Nothing has ever worked as regards my insomnia problem....Not even taking higher doses of Antipsychotics at night...Ive also tried various sleeping pills, higher doses of Benzos and various natural remedies...Everything failed....

I still after nearly 30 years of DP experience bouts of chronic insomnia that can go on for days....

Sulpiride is also known as Dolmatil....Ive been taking it daily for many years now without any side effects.....BUT its only available in Europe and a few other regions...Its not FDA approved in the USA for some strange reason.....This played a major role in preventing me fulfilling a life long dream to go live in the USA....

Thanks for that DP...............

1 - 4 of 4 Posts