Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DP Treatment D.I.Y Style

Drug therapy in the treatment of dp/dr in general lags behind the treatment of other major disorders, probably because originally dp/dr was seen generally as a secondary symptom and it was obscure as to whether it constituted a disorder in itself. Now, however the figures have clearly shown that dp/dr as the lone primary symptom occurs in rates which differ little from other mental health conditions: In general the demographic studies have determine that dp/dr occurs in 1% of the population, the same as schizophrenia.

There a several avenues in the treatment of dp/dr via the use of alternative therapies, as well as benign medications. Such therapy in the longterm can be utilised to improve health in general, aswell as not only attempting to target the primary symptoms experienced, but also in an effort to reduce the co-occurence of Depression, anxiety, paranoia and the many other negative emotions which accompany such a strange and distorted state of conciousness. On this site many users have post personal reviews of there own experience using such health supplement which you may be able to obtain from your local herbal remedy store (such as Holland and Barrett in the UK). Obviously it is essential to rule out any possible interactions that these substances may have with any medication you are taking already, so in general it is a good idea to make it known to your doctor that you have begun a regimen of such a substance.

In all instances though, you must investigate online for any interactions yourself, because a lot of herbal supplement may have multiple active compounds with a slew of different physiological effects.

Treatment of the primary DP/DR

Unfortuantely, pharmaceutical interventions in general are known to not be that effective in ameliorating the debillitating experience of DP/DR, but much can be done for the amount of stress and depression this causes in the sufferer. S.S.R.I antidepressants are known to be an effective treatment for depression, aswell as anxiety. They are generally well tolerated, and have a specific mode of action, so there mechanisms inside the brain is not at all obscure. They too, however may not be very effective in treating the feelings of unreality, although they may have an extremely positive effect on mood. Low stress levels and a good mood in general is something healthy to have, not just for pure enjoyment but because stress is associated with a decrease in the amount of connections between brain cells, aswell as in some instances cell death itself. The brain region known as the Hippocampus, which is related to the formation of new memories, has been shown to be of a reduced size in chronically depressed and stressed patients. Also, on the microbiological level, after a while the hippocampus becomes particularly susceptible to a stress hormone known as Cortisol, which is known to trigger cell death.

Benzodiazepines have been widely used to treat the co-occuring anxiety levels in dp/dr, and may lead to a global improvement in symptoms and mood, but Benzodiazapines themselves are accompanied by the risk of tolerance and addiction, as well as many other unwanted side effects. It is also known that in some cases the withdrawal of the long term usage of Benzo's can trigger dissociation itself. All of this taken into account, Benzo's are still an effective treatment for the more acute symptoms which occur in dp/dr, even though in general benzo's can have a numbing effect on emotions themselves.

There are other pharmaceutical agents which have been used to treat anxiety such as pregabalin, as well as beta blockers, with some success.

On the lighter side of treatment, Omega 3 fish oils have been shown to play a role in the improvement of mood, as well as having a positive effect on the symptoms of Schizophrenia in those who suffer from the condition. Dosages generally vary widely. In my experience High concentrate omega 3 gave me peace of mind more than anything else, its contribution toward the sustainability of my mood is unclear, aswell as to whether it actually had an impact on the primary condition.

Another substance, known as Sarcosine, which is found ubiquitously in food stuffs, has been shown in some studies to have a beneficial effect on major depression, as the symptoms of schizophrenia, both positive and negative, and generally causes an improvement in functioning over all. Sarcosine itself is a glycine reuptake inhibitor. In my experience, sarcosine may have actually helped in upholding my mood in tough times, as well as improving my ability function both mentally and physically.

In my experience a class of drugs known as the Racetams have been effective in improving my mood and anxiety levels, as well as improving my outlook on things in general, I took one of these known as piracetam before I started to experience chronic dp/dr, so I was familiar with its effects on normal conciousness. I can say that out of all the drugs, Piracetam is the one that has produced the most consistent feeling eveytime I took it, DP or not, for me personally It causes a reduction of anxiety, much clearer thought, and generally a more abstract sense of optimism, which I noticed I did not have before. The world seemed to gain beauty again, and I can only put it down to this.

Another one of the racetams, known as Aniracetam, is more potent but has a shorter duration of action than the above compound. Its effects differ from those of piracetam in terms of it mainly improves levels of anxiety and mood, and is generally more activating, while piracetam just tends to stand in the background.

Ive found green tea extract to be slightly beneficial in combating anxiety levels, but its efficacy on other more prudent symptoms is not clear.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hi Nath,

Thankyou so much for sharing what you have found to be helpful. I will definately look into some of the things you've mentioned. Maybe they could helo me also. All the best.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts