Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys, hope all is well for you.
just thought post something about alcohol.
since my dp/dr kicked off again, about a year ago, ive hardly touched any alcohol, for a long time the whole feeling of being drunk seemed to intensify my dp/dr and cause me a lot of extra anxiety.
as time has gone by, i have had a few drinking sessions, very mild ones though and im slowly starting to enjoy the odd drink here and there.
for me, drinking was never really a problem, but i did enjoy my weekend adventures with my mates around pubs and niteclubs, infact the whole niteclub scene was very much a part of my life, being a dj.
so i guess im somewhat stuck, i want my old life back, as we all do, and part of that life was enjoying a few drinks and having a laugh, but im still very hesitant about drinking, as i wonder if it will make the dp linger longer.
i do miss getting drunk, but i guess when i feel like this, i figure any drug is not a good thing. i really miss the social aspect to it, and i know, in order to beat this problem (dp.dr) i need to get out and be more social and i guess, carry on with life as if it wasnt there.
so yeah, where do you guys stand on the topic, do you still drink, if so, does it help, or make things worse or what?
or, are you like me and stear clear of the drink?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
hey guys, hope all is well for you.
just thought post something about alcohol.
since my dp/dr kicked off again, about a year ago, ive hardly touched any alcohol, for a long time the whole feeling of being drunk seemed to intensify my dp/dr and cause me a lot of extra anxiety.
as time has gone by, i have had a few drinking sessions, very mild ones though and im slowly starting to enjoy the odd drink here and there.
for me, drinking was never really a problem, but i did enjoy my weekend adventures with my mates around pubs and niteclubs, infact the whole niteclub scene was very much a part of my life, being a dj.
so i guess im somewhat stuck, i want my old life back, as we all do, and part of that life was enjoying a few drinks and having a laugh, but im still very hesitant about drinking, as i wonder if it will make the dp linger longer.
i do miss getting drunk, but i guess when i feel like this, i figure any drug is not a good thing. i really miss the social aspect to it, and i know, in order to beat this problem (dp.dr) i need to get out and be more social and i guess, carry on with life as if it wasnt there.
so yeah, where do you guys stand on the topic, do you still drink, if so, does it help, or make things worse or what?
or, are you like me and stear clear of the drink?

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I almost always drink on weekends. Well I started a diet a few weeks ago where I couldn't have any alcohol for two weeks, I lasted one weekend almost two, but crashed on Labor Day Sunday. So I started the diet again two days later and now here is my first weekend and I swore I wouldn't but I'm here now debating it. Drinking makes me really happy while I'm doing it, but the next day the DP is like 5 times worse and I'm in a worse fog all day long. As for the social aspect, if I wasn't here with just my bf and out with friends I'd definitely be drinking cuz I'm so closed up without it so I think I know what you mean. I need to talk to people. But if I were you I'd continue to steer clear of the liquor and maybe find some other social activity... I wish I could do that myself.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
I almost always drink on weekends. Well I started a diet a few weeks ago where I couldn't have any alcohol for two weeks, I lasted one weekend almost two, but crashed on Labor Day Sunday. So I started the diet again two days later and now here is my first weekend and I swore I wouldn't but I'm here now debating it. Drinking makes me really happy while I'm doing it, but the next day the DP is like 5 times worse and I'm in a worse fog all day long. As for the social aspect, if I wasn't here with just my bf and out with friends I'd definitely be drinking cuz I'm so closed up without it so I think I know what you mean. I need to talk to people. But if I were you I'd continue to steer clear of the liquor and maybe find some other social activity... I wish I could do that myself.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm with you. I've barely touched alcohol since my dp and panic kicked in and it sucks sometimes. What is another social activity that doesn't involve drinking? That's all anyone does around here on the weekends and at night. If I could find another social activity I'd be straight.

·
Registered
774 Posts
I'm with you. I've barely touched alcohol since my dp and panic kicked in and it sucks sometimes. What is another social activity that doesn't involve drinking? That's all anyone does around here on the weekends and at night. If I could find another social activity I'd be straight.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah.. like it or not, for a 25 year old australian male, drinking is very much a part of the lifestyle, add to that the fact i used to spend most weekends and some week nights working in niteclubs.
i know i probably should stay away from the alcohol, it kinda makes sense to, but like i said before, ive reached a point with my dp that i know it's not a matter of taking the right medication, giving myself a break from life for a while or anything else like that, that is going to help me to recover, as hard as it seems, i think the key to recovering is learning to distract myself from what im feeling, and to do so involves me getting back into the old lifestyle i had, except less alcohol and no drugs, more exercise and a healthier diet.
for the last few weeks ive been living on an island north of australia and the island is alcohol free, so staying away from it hasnt even been a choice, but im heading over to the mainland next weekend and i think im gonna have another go at hitting the pubs and clubs... i dont think i can make myself worse, and i really miss going out and meeting people, having a dance etc. and a few drinks is allways fun.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah.. like it or not, for a 25 year old australian male, drinking is very much a part of the lifestyle, add to that the fact i used to spend most weekends and some week nights working in niteclubs.
i know i probably should stay away from the alcohol, it kinda makes sense to, but like i said before, ive reached a point with my dp that i know it's not a matter of taking the right medication, giving myself a break from life for a while or anything else like that, that is going to help me to recover, as hard as it seems, i think the key to recovering is learning to distract myself from what im feeling, and to do so involves me getting back into the old lifestyle i had, except less alcohol and no drugs, more exercise and a healthier diet.
for the last few weeks ive been living on an island north of australia and the island is alcohol free, so staying away from it hasnt even been a choice, but im heading over to the mainland next weekend and i think im gonna have another go at hitting the pubs and clubs... i dont think i can make myself worse, and i really miss going out and meeting people, having a dance etc. and a few drinks is allways fun.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Owell, same here..like it or not, for a 25 year old finnish female, drinking is very much a part of the lifestyle.:D My dp kicked in after I had just returned home from France (was there on exchange), and along with dp I stopped drinking totally. That was the end of wine nipping...

I didn't drink a drop for two months while I was 24/7 dp'ed, but actually my dp-recovery is somewhat related to drinking and having a really good evening out. First time my dp started to break was during a nite when I had decided to have fun in spite of feeling weird - go out and drink and pretend just for one nite that I was normal.

After a wine bottle (and after two months of absolutism) I was drunk, but the miracle happened as I in the middle of the nite realised: I was totally dp-free (I felt it even though I was drunk, so after all there is a difference between those states:D )

So that nite was the beginning of my recovery. I really doesn't mean it was alcohol that cured me, but managing to divert myself. That was able to happen, as I allowed myself to feel dp'ed and had decided that I would have just one nite's break from thinking about it - I would start obsessing the next morning.

Now I only have dp occasionally, but I still do have anxiety, so I don't drink much or often. The alcohol works its magic on my brains and I can relax and enjoy when drinking, but the next day is always very bad. Even if I only had some three glasses of wine. I feel very dp'ed and anxious.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Owell, same here..like it or not, for a 25 year old finnish female, drinking is very much a part of the lifestyle.:D My dp kicked in after I had just returned home from France (was there on exchange), and along with dp I stopped drinking totally. That was the end of wine nipping...

I didn't drink a drop for two months while I was 24/7 dp'ed, but actually my dp-recovery is somewhat related to drinking and having a really good evening out. First time my dp started to break was during a nite when I had decided to have fun in spite of feeling weird - go out and drink and pretend just for one nite that I was normal.

After a wine bottle (and after two months of absolutism) I was drunk, but the miracle happened as I in the middle of the nite realised: I was totally dp-free (I felt it even though I was drunk, so after all there is a difference between those states:D )

So that nite was the beginning of my recovery. I really doesn't mean it was alcohol that cured me, but managing to divert myself. That was able to happen, as I allowed myself to feel dp'ed and had decided that I would have just one nite's break from thinking about it - I would start obsessing the next morning.

Now I only have dp occasionally, but I still do have anxiety, so I don't drink much or often. The alcohol works its magic on my brains and I can relax and enjoy when drinking, but the next day is always very bad. Even if I only had some three glasses of wine. I feel very dp'ed and anxious.

G

·
Up until about five months ago I was what is referred to as a maintainence drinker. I drank every day a six pack of beer or more and a glass or two of wine in the evening.

I too looked forward to visiting with my friends at the end of the day at the pub for a couple of pints of beer.

I seldom got drunk just drinking to feel comfortable.

I quit by tapering off over several months because the alcohol was worsening my high blood pressure and my blood sugar was moving into the range of type 2 diabetes.

I still go into the pub to visit with my olds firends but I drink O'Douls or another sort of non alcoholic brew. I really miss the buzz and i believe I was much happier when I was drinking. I never drunk till I was sloppy drunk nor did I ever get hangovers. At least not often. Since I quit drinking I lost almost twenty pounds and I am more concious of my diet than before. Alcohol did reduce my anxiety and the intensity and frequency of DP. I probably wouldn't have stopped except for my health concerns as I enjoyed it and didn't have personal problems because of it.

Also my need for medication was less. Since I stopped I have doubled my Xanax dosage from one mg to two or two and a half mg. Still in the fairly moderate range. I do miss the beer buzz as i was able to laugh and have a lot of fun at times. Not so without it. And least it hasn't been up to this point.

G

·
Up until about five months ago I was what is referred to as a maintainence drinker. I drank every day a six pack of beer or more and a glass or two of wine in the evening.

I too looked forward to visiting with my friends at the end of the day at the pub for a couple of pints of beer.

I seldom got drunk just drinking to feel comfortable.

I quit by tapering off over several months because the alcohol was worsening my high blood pressure and my blood sugar was moving into the range of type 2 diabetes.

I still go into the pub to visit with my olds firends but I drink O'Douls or another sort of non alcoholic brew. I really miss the buzz and i believe I was much happier when I was drinking. I never drunk till I was sloppy drunk nor did I ever get hangovers. At least not often. Since I quit drinking I lost almost twenty pounds and I am more concious of my diet than before. Alcohol did reduce my anxiety and the intensity and frequency of DP. I probably wouldn't have stopped except for my health concerns as I enjoyed it and didn't have personal problems because of it.

Also my need for medication was less. Since I stopped I have doubled my Xanax dosage from one mg to two or two and a half mg. Still in the fairly moderate range. I do miss the beer buzz as i was able to laugh and have a lot of fun at times. Not so without it. And least it hasn't been up to this point.

·
Registered
723 Posts
i have found over the last 6 months or so that alcohol increases my dp and depression/anxiety the next day. at present i'm not drinking at all and see how it goes

·
Registered
723 Posts
i have found over the last 6 months or so that alcohol increases my dp and depression/anxiety the next day. at present i'm not drinking at all and see how it goes

1 - 16 of 16 Posts