Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
I believe this happened from the extreme amount of stress from my boyfriend passing away a week ago. It seems like the more time goes by my brain keeps shutting down. I also had extreme anxiety in the beginning of this. I dont feel that so much anymore, atleast physically. Mentally I might be going haywire idk. I dont have any physical symptoms like feeling spacy or anything like that. I'm also pretty emotionally stunted. Like I'll have times where Ill laugh a bit but even when Icdo it doesnt feel like "me" if that makes sense. I cant be sad at all, which is weird. Like I said idk if my boyfriend passing took such a big toll on my brain but I havnt been able to really cry about it like at all, a bit the first couple days. Like I know FACTS about myself but no memories to really correlate with them. Its terrifying. Can DP be strictly mental? Like with not many physical symptoms of any at all? Have people recovered from this?

I'm also scared that if I do get my memories/emotions back that's why I'm going to start processing my boyfriends death? Idk can anyone relate or know anyone that has gone through similar symptoms?

·
Registered
445 Posts
It doesn't sound like typical DP to be honest, but in many ways you sound similar to what happened to me.

I truly resonate with what you say when you say "i know facts about myself but no memories to correlate with them"

My dp nowadays is almost entirely mental i don't really feel thick dpdr anymore, but have a whole host of mental deficiencies and memory problems

I'd recommend trying to not let it make such a big impression on you, things always get better but no one really knows the timescale. My problems have been with me for 1.5 years

·
Registered
374 Posts
I can relate 100% and for me it got worse alot, I can definitely say it's stress. Huge stressfull events caused to make it worse. Break up with girlfriend, and a few weeks back I had weird muscle twitches all over my body and it did not stop. And I convinced myself I had ALS, the amount of stress and anxiety I brought upon myself was huge,and I went deeper in the hole. I don't think it's anything permanent our memories and personality are still here somewhere hidden but it's blocked out. Try to relax.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I'm gonna say hell no dp can't be strictly mental. And let me tell you in the future they will understand this. Dp is so taxing on the body and you have dp sufferers talking about very physiological neurological symptoms and consequences. Dp is so much more worse and more powerful than I would say just about any psychogenic disorder. What you describe doesn't sound like dp/dr at all. But that's just my opinion
Why does this not sound like dp at all? I definitely think it's in the spectrum of the "Blank mind' symptom. Many people on this site reported the same issues, so do I. Definitely dp/dr.

·
Registered
32 Posts
yes it can mine is absolutley only mental i just feel weird in my perception and have weird existencial thoghts never had physical , after all dp is mostly anxiety in most cases , anxiety can have lots pf symptoms physicals and mentally the one that bothers you the most are the ones that are going to be in priority of your overly stressed mind , your bf passing sure was an incredibly stressing event for you even if you dont feel it ritht now because your mind said you know what heather is having enough im out , and its alitle over worked , thats why it feels so weird , almost surreal , but hey we all have felt that, hypno sorry but your reply was really innapropiate to someone whos asking for help, and i think its bad to spread negativity by saying what horrid infernal whatever scary word you wanna use dp is , please i encourage everyone to motivate others even if you feel like shit there is no need in spreading more fear in an already scared community like depersonalized people i have never understand why are people allowed to answer negativly in these forums should not be allowed , its like putting gas to the fire , anyways my advise to you heather is to seek a professional to understand better your mental state , dont be inpatient and just seek for possitivity your in a very vulnerable state , and im very sorry for the passing of your bf , excersice , therapy, and doing your life as before , even if it feels weird as hell keep doing it , i hope your doing better

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes it can mine is absolutley only mental i just feel weird in my perception and have weird existencial thoghts never had physical , after all dp is mostly anxiety in most cases , anxiety can have lots pf symptoms physicals and mentally the one that bothers you the most are the ones that are going to be in priority of your overly stressed mind , your bf passing sure was an incredibly stressing event for you even if you dont feel it ritht now because your mind said you know what heather is having enough im out , and its alitle over worked , thats why it feels so weird , almost surreal , but hey we all have felt that, hypno sorry but your reply was really innapropiate to someone whos asking for help, and i think its bad to spread negativity by saying what horrid infernal whatever scary word you wanna use dp is , please i encourage everyone to motivate others even if you feel like shit there is no need in spreading more fear in an already scared community like depersonalized people i have never understand why are people allowed to answer negativly in these forums should not be allowed , its like putting gas to the fire , anyways my advise to you heather is to seek a professional to understand better your mental state , dont be inpatient and just seek for possitivity your in a very vulnerable state , and im very sorry for the passing of your bf , excersice , therapy, and doing your life as before , even if it feels weird as hell keep doing it , i hope your doing better

1 - 6 of 6 Posts