Depersonalization Support Forum banner

About to turn schizophrenic

5K views 36 replies 13 participants last post by  jake 
#1 ·
I've been really confused lately. I remember questions nurses used to ask me during psychiatric evaluations and some of them were "Where are you right now?" " What year is it?" Stuff like that. And I thought it was kinda funny at the time, but not now.

I'll be in the car with my boyfriend and I'll completely forget where we're going and what day it is. I'll remember within a few mins. but it's really scary.

Lately I have to think really hard about whether it's 2005 or 2006.

Ok so this isn't schizophrenia... but I don't know I still feel on the brink of it. I read that most women become schizophrenic in their mid to late twenties. I'm 23. And with all this unreality shit for the past 17 yrs, well I don't know I guess I'm just waiting for something to come of it.

I'm not making sense.... oh I'm really paranoid too. I always think people are laughing at me. And when I go to restaurants I'm sometimes scared that the workers put stuff in my food like LSD. I eat my food anyways and so far no LSD... but I still worry about it at times.

I have many theories for how I became DP'd. One of them is I was abducted by aliens when I was a child and this DP is an experiment they're performing on me. So thinking this as a serious possiblilty makes me feel schizophrenic.

And then there are times when I think I'd be better off if I was schizophrenic. Someone on this board sounded like she's perfectly content being schizophrenic. Man, if I could be content I'd trade DP for schizophrenia any day. Who cares if I'm not in reality, but think I am and everyone else is wrong... as long as I'm happy and not hurting people right?

See less See more
#29 ·
I thought I was turning schizo for about 5 months. For example...you know how you can imgaine things, like if some told you to imagine yourself in a car. And if you think hard enough you can picture yourself in a car.

Well because of that I thought I was seeing things. Plus I had fears and urges that I was about to lose control and choke someone, or stab someone.

So through all that crap I thought I had dementia, phycosis, schizophernia, brain tumor, alzheimers...basically I thought I had a bunch of crap.

#33 ·
Sojourner said:
I think it would be good to keep in mind (and I'm speaking to myself as much as to anyone else) that several people who have schizophrenia are a part of this forum. Having that illness is not the end of the world, and many people with it live fulfilling, creative, and happy lives.
I agree. I didn't mean for this thread to be a knock to anyone. I would really appreciate some insight from anyone with schizophrenia. (And yes they are insightful) I visit some of their support forums occasionally and they've always been kind and helpful to me.

#34 ·
I forget the two people here who said they had schizophrena. Blackwinded
and the other one I can't recall. There was an active thread here within the last three weeks and it was very interesting. I presume they're taking medication and seem to be doing all right. Both are highly intelligent and quite lucid, in my opinion.

#35 ·
I can only say my Mom was paranoid schizophrenic and she the poor thing went untreated, and I might add was no picnic growing up with that illness for us kids. Meds and tx have come a long way but I still wouldnt wish it on anyone, nor what I have. But I am grateful it skipped over me.
---Jake

#36 ·
Sojourner said:
Do you think it's funny to the folks who visit this forum and have told us they have schizophrenia?
No, of course it's not funny.
I guess it was the writing style or the way in which it was expressed
by the person who wrote it.

I work with 3 people with scizophrenia twice a week and you just can't
generalize.
They are really nice people too.
Sorry, i hope i didnt offend anyone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.