Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I wanted to ask if anyone has experienced this symptom that I'm going to describe below. I've told my counselor about it multiple times, but I feel that I'm not fully capturing the essence of it when I describe it.

It's like I'm just less actively aware of the context in which I exist. It's not a memory problem: I remember where I live, where I am right now, what I did earlier today, etc. It's more like I have to think about these things a bit more actively if I want to recall them. Perhaps secondary to this, I feel as though I have a less-firm grasp on the many components that make up my current "situation." It's almost as though I'm wearing some form of mental blinders that make it tougher to keep these things in the back of my mind and access them at will.

My counselor asks if I am actually describing "brain fog." I'm really not sure, is this brain fog? Has anyone else experienced this? The description is pretty poor, I apologize. Any replies are appreciated.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I feel a similar thing if I’m understanding correctly. I feel like I’m kinda going through the day in a foggy sense and then when I think about reality or start to question everything comes into focus but then it feels like the rest of my day was a blur that I have put more effort into remembering. Does that sound similar to ur situation?

Hey everyone,

I wanted to ask if anyone has experienced this symptom that I'm going to describe below. I've told my counselor about it multiple times, but I feel that I'm not fully capturing the essence of it when I describe it.

It's like I'm just less actively aware of the context in which I exist. It's not a memory problem: I remember where I live, where I am right now, what I did earlier today, etc. It's more like I have to think about these things a bit more actively if I want to recall them. Perhaps secondary to this, I feel as though I have a less-firm grasp on the many components that make up my current "situation." It's almost as though I'm wearing some form of mental blinders that
Hey everyone,

It's like I'm just less actively aware of the context in which I exist. It's not a memory problem: I remember where I live, where I am right now, what I did earlier today, etc. It's more like I have to think about these things a bit more actively if I want to recall them. Perhaps secondary to this, I feel as though I have a less-firm grasp on the many components that make up my current "situation." It's almost as though I'm wearing some form of mental blinders that make it tougher to keep these things in the back of my mind and access them at will.

My counselor asks if I am actually describing "brain fog." I'm really not sure, is this brain fog? Has anyone else experienced this? The description is pretty poor, I apologize. Any replies are appreciated.
make it tougher to keep these things in the back of my mind and access them at will.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I feel a similar thing if I’m understanding correctly. I feel like I’m kinda going through the day in a foggy sense and then when I think about reality or start to question everything comes into focus but then it feels like the rest of my day was a blur that I have put more effort into remembering. Does that sound similar to ur situation?
Yes, it does. Unfortunately it's pretty hard to describe this as accurately as I want to, but I can definitely relate to what you said.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey everyone,

I've come to realize I think what you're seeing is lack of blood flow to certain parts of your brain... either that or it's purely psychological but I doubt it

·
Administrator
1,413 Posts
What you are describing is something on the spectrum/related to the psychological term: Orientation.

Orientation is being aware and acknowledging what is today's date, where are you, how is the weather etc.

Though, for us, it's on a whole other level.

With DP/DR or Dissociation in general, we can be aware of the date/location/weather etc, but it's like we are removed from the situation/circumstances on an existential and experiential level.

I've also mentioned often that it's not just the DP/DR, it's also the repercussions of our disorder, i.e. we are prone to isolation and detachment, (which even deepens the hole we've been living in).

·
Registered
106 Posts
My DPRD rejects contexts as familiar even when they are day-to-day scenarios. Pointing out to myself where I am and what is happening is useful, and often required when I cannot otherwise 'read' or notice what is (and has) been going on. However, I balance that (when possible) with trying to trust contexts and what has happened, even when they are so blank to me. Otherwise, I can be in a cycle of over over-analysis and be stressed from 'reality uncertainty'. DP and coping methods - ever contrary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts