Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts
G

·
The way he described feeling like just a set of eyes is exactly the way I feel most of the time. And I do often feel like that I'm trying to escape myself, but that's impossible, so depersonalizing is the next best thing.

Excellent read, thanks for finding this~!

I'm going to show this article to my psychologist I do believe. The first thing I asked him was if he knew anything about DP, and he said no so I quickly moved on, but I feel this can give him a good sense of what it's like for me, and likely why it's occurring.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The way he described feeling like just a set of eyes is exactly the way I feel most of the time. And I do often feel like that I'm trying to escape myself, but that's impossible, so depersonalizing is the next best thing.

Excellent read, thanks for finding this~!

I'm going to show this article to my psychologist I do believe. The first thing I asked him was if he knew anything about DP, and he said no so I quickly moved on, but I feel this can give him a good sense of what it's like for me, and likely why it's occurring.
I'm glad I was of some service. I wish you well.

Interesting article, thanks for the post. I especially got a lot out of the comments posted below it.
It's a very insightful blog. I think there's a lot of other articles on there that can offer a different perspective on issues to people with DP.

·
DPSH DONATOR
75 Posts
Someone on here the other day posted this and I would highly recommend it. http://nothingworks.weebly.com/ Be prepared because it's more like a little book in length but I really got a TON out of it. Would love to hear your opinions on it as well. One of the better resources I have seen posted on here.

·
Registered
427 Posts
haven't read it fully, but this is right on point: " that what defense mechanisms essentially do is divert attention away from sources of pain so that we no longer notice them."

this is almost the same as dissociation, running away from problems, repressing emotions, cowardice.

If you're a coward, that's one problem. If you're a coward AND very intelligent, you're fucked, because you'll create so good and logical sounding excuses that you'll believe them.
Coward is such a god awful judgemental label to use, especially since you have no idea what people have gone through on here, some of which have even endured years of childhood sexual abuse. It's really unfair for you to come on here and throw around your labels in some kind of twisted attempt to stimulate people into recovery.

·
Registered
427 Posts
That's funny, but apparently we do seem to need all the "help me pls " x 90000 and other countless self pitying victim threads.
Two wrongs don't make a right. Self pity may not be the best thing but neither is going around telling people they are cowards and lazy for not being able to completely eliminate their dp. DP is the result of being victimized in life so why shame people for expressing that if they have a need to express that?

G

·
I feel like you're misinterpreting the article. What I gathered from it is that DP is functionally a defense mechanism against ones emotional, or internal traumas. Normally when something is threatening a person the flight/fight mechanisms kick in and in physically traumatic events it's effective and can play out normally; the threat is a very real tangible thing. Problems arise when you have the flight/fight mechanism reacting to either nonexistent or non-tangible threats.With a panic attack your body, and the person experiencing it, are 100% convinced something in the environment is going to kill them, but they can't find it and thus can't escape it. With emotional trauma your feelings become a threat, even ones you might not recognize. If there is a lot of shame about who you are or intense self loathing, or just powerful emotions that you can't handle, your body is going to see these as a threat to your well being, it doesn't understand their just emotions and can't hurt you; it gets worse if you suppress your feelings because that just confirms them as a threat. Point is, as the emotional issues build and intensify, your body starts to see yourself and all of those dangerous feelings as the threat to it, and it starts trying to escape its self, which is impossible.

So if your in a situation where your body believes it desperately needs to escape it's self and the emotions it's going to do the closest thing possible and depersonalize. With depersonalization people report feeling emotionally numb, having brain fog, a hard time thinking or concentrating, and not recognizing their body as their own on a conscious level, but most importantly feeling cut off from their sense of self. All of these things are ways the body is escaping the self and emotions that the body sees as a threat.

Further, DP's ability to distract you isn't about pulling you out of and making you unaware of horrible situations, it's about pulling you out of your self and away from your emotions. Like I said, DP dose not deal with external threats, since your surgery and the anesthetist are external it has no need to intensify. This why people with cancer can develop PSTD, because the cancer is a tangible external threat which is what PTSD is meant to defend against. They likely wouldn't develop DP because their is no need to escape themselves on an emotional level and emotions are what DP defends against.

You also mentions suffering from depression, and depressions function is to let you know that something in your life isn't working and that you need to take a time out away from other people and distractions and figure out what the problem is and how to fix it. If you treat depression as the problem that needs to be fix, you'll just end up going around in circles, the same thing applies to anxiety and DP, these are all natural responses to issues in our life and they won't stop until those issues are resolved.

Lastly, just understanding that you've suffered abuse doesn't mean anything unless you fix what that abuse broke.

G

·
I wasn't trying to call you lazy, I was just trying to make the point that anxiety, depression and DP are all natural processes and they come about for a reason and those reasons need to be fixed before any of them will clear up for good, which is the case 95% of the time. A lot of people on here talk about all 3 like they're some sort of disease that came out of nowhere to ruin their lives, but if they understood themselves and their situations better the path that lead to anxiety, depression and DP would be fairly clear.

G

·
Dreamer... give this a try.

Throw away your textbooks, your computer, and your intellect.

And 'feel' your way through.

Cos that's what we've gotta learn here.

How do you 'feel' about what I just said?

P

·
Registered
105 Posts
Dreamer, you seem to be very intelligent.

Whenever I see your posts here they are very well structured and equally well written, so, my question to you is:

You have this strange and debilitating condition that you are trying to get rid of.
Someone gives you a possible solution and what do you do? You don't even bother "trying" it. Why is that?

Try it! Give it a chance! It won't make matters worse. Aren't you tired of being dissociated?

When I watched Harringtons program it didnt make ANY sense at first. I basically kept it in my computer and procrastinated. Why? Because I didnt now for sure If the program would led me to recoverl AND because it was a shitload of work. HARD work. DP is a cosy place. We sure dont like being dissociated, but would we like to face our pains? Hell no. DP is safe, cosy and our choice. Our intelligence basically interprets it in a harmful way, thus creating loads of other problems.

In the past couple of months Ive been working with the said program and Im definitely improving. Along with some people here Im sure. Also, Im getting more active on these boards and I could not notice the TONS of similarities we, DP sufferers, have.

All of us experienced emotional abuse in different flavors.

Almost all of us might have experienced severe trauma.

We have the habit of repressing our emotions.

We all have some degree of perfectionism/codependency/enmeshment/disease to please/you name it.

We are all creative and intelligent.

There are way more Im sure.

I dont mean to start a debate with you. Just read this and reflect upon it. I wont answer you If you reply with your classic deflective posts. But I respect your choice nonetheless and I also respect you for what you have gone through.

Think about it.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts