Depersonalization Support Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
On Monday, I moved out of my boyfriends house. He was psychologically, emotionally, and mentally extremely abusive. He is a part of what brought on this 3 month long episode of DP. Anyways, it was a toxic, sad, cruel, and scary environment living with him. I was isolated and alone with my emotional illness. Monday at 11:30pm he said something mean to me, and I snapped at decided to finally leave him. I didn't have the strength to do it. For 3 years, I was codependent and attached to him, I thought I was in love. Monday, all of a sudden something came over me. And I said "I'm DONE." and I packed up my entire life, and within half an hour I was on the road to my best friends house who told me to move in with her. My point is, my DP was my strength while I was packing. I completely disconnected from him and my environment. All that was on my mind was "collect all your important things, and get out of here." I was out of it, but focused on packing my belongings. If I didn't have depersonalization and my dissociation, I wouldn't have had the strength to leave. FINALLY, a brighter side to this has been revealed.

Liquid Drinkware Art Font Event

dope
May 10 2017 03:18 PM

Cool! That's awesome, props!
Don't ever allow anybody anymore to treat you like that, because not only are you worth it, but he doesn't deserve your tears and suffering.
Now focus on your health
Head Sky Vehicle registration plate Automotive lighting Font
Strength to you, it's really admiring what you've done, and you were really strong. Not everyone has the strength to do that, really inspiring.
Props

Nose Cheek Eyebrow Eyelash Hat

Sharon22
Jan 13 2018 12:23 AM

Depersonalization has helped me alot with anxiety. We forget that this is here to protect us not harm us at all.

Jaw Ear Gesture Tie Art

andy_goodchild
Feb 12 2018 06:09 PM

I can relate to this so much. I was in a very abusive controlling relationship for over 15 years. Two kids...a mortgage and unable to escape from this woman who was killing my soul. I was losing "ME" everything I did or said was wrong. Even the money I earned was never good enough for this person. I lost my self asteem and self value because I was ovewhealmed with her control both financially and emotionally. I became depressed and anxious, until a series of panic attacks sent me into a breakdown. I was diagnosed with depersonalisation disorder after my symptoms changed rapidly over the course of a week. I realised the stress I was under was destroying me and making me a very unwel man. I too packed my bags and one day left the house I worked hard for, for so many years. Developing DP/DR was hardly surprising looking back. My brain did the escape.....not the consious me.

It's been a hard struggle being a father folliowing an horendous divorce, but I'm here to tell the story and support anyone who has a similar story. NEVER let anyone destroy the person you are. For me, my attachment has it's routes in childhood. I ask myself, why did I stay with this woman for so many years....so many years of verbal putdowns. I stayed because of my young sons who I adore and love. Catch 22 situaton. Wanting to escape, but couldn't .

I wish all of you here a recovery and a self discovery which turns you into the person you were always meant to be. Healthy in mind and strong.

Happy to answer any questions or share your suffering. Andy.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts