Depersonalization Support Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Hello, thank you for this! I struggle with the fact that I shouldn't tell anyone about DP. If I am ashamed about it, it gets bigger in my head and I feel worse about it. If its something that is okay, common, then surely i can say it, right? (there I go with overthinking) but it really helps me decipher things..I would like to be open and expressive, and maybe DP wouldn't be such a big bad monster as I may think it seems.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Don't you have to deal with any situation that arises instead of just distracting yourself constantly? I feel like that would just get into a bad cycle and your brain can't understand what is happening, deciphering what it should be understanding and paying attention to.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well, this is kinda old post but I have to say that I don't agree on advice to watch news, since they filled with negativity.

This main advice to focus on FEELING rather than thinking to become more grounded is an issue for a strong DP sufferers. This work for a people who are in stage of recovery and who passed the worst of the depersonalization.

I tried to ride my bike outside of the city in nature, and I didn't feel enjoy at all. Didn't feel like I'm riding the bike and feel excitment because I'm so emotionally numb and disconnected.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Shalom! Yeah, amazing! You put in words all my feelings about this and how I'm recovering faster because I believe in only that's important, LIFE, LOVE, RESPECT, WISDOM AND G.D!????????????????????????????????❤????????????????????☺

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fucking love this post, stop given attaching all your thoughts with emotions, and therefore worrying about situations that won't happen as long as you stop making them, Ive struggled with all of you and feel for all of you. Lets all think simpler and therefore think less. about the concrete changes we cant make in our lives, dont hang onto feelings or memories, live now.

·
Registered
239 Posts
I agree with this guy im gonna go for it.

·
Registered
820 Posts
Yeh this makes sense as dp in terms of neurobiology is the pre frontal cortex repressing the insula and maybe amygdala.. and the more I feel the heart/solar plexus the more the sense of dread increases and dp/Dr and concentration gets worse. So it seems like it actually makes things worse which is why I have avoided feeling for so long.. and probably why dp hasn't left me for so long. So it makes sense. I've tried it before but failed. More recently I'm trying to intensify whatever feelings are there. And the reflex is to turn away, numb the emotions and tense up.. just trying to soften the heart almost and slowly feeling what's there more intensely... will see how it goes

·
Registered
239 Posts
This is the only post I have taking a liking to. It makes so much since to me now. All my life I had did really deep thinking about everything and wasn’t really living life and weed just makes you think even deeper. It’s no wonder I have DP from weed now.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Thank you for sharing the technique. but how is this supposed to work for someone with drug induced dp? It's not like I'm purposefully suppressing my emotions. I simply can't feel them no matter what I do cuz the problem is physical just like when you have numb hands.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Kind of silly though to say that we do this to ourselves. It's something within the mind that has happened for some of us that have used some type of drug/substance or are suffering with mental illness in some way. We don't do this to ourselves. I don't think anyone would WANT to do this to themselves. I can't control this.. when I wake up and go outside I can't control how my mind processes the outside world. It's like a perception issue within the brain. I'm glad you don't have the severe symptoms like some of us do. Good for you. But a lot of us don't choose this or want this for ourselves. Don't be one of those ignorant people.
If you keep telling yourself that, there is nothing anyone could ever say to change your mind.

·
Registered
176 Posts
If you keep telling yourself that, there is nothing anyone could ever say to change your mind.
What he/she said is true tho (at least for someone who actually used a drug which resulted in brain chemistry being altered).. It's like when you have a numb hand, would you be able to unnumb it? if you have dysfunctional legs, would you be able to suddenly make it functional?

·
Registered
239 Posts
This really is the only recovery story that fits good on my soul, the only story i look at the most.

Reactions: curiousmind

·
Registered
239 Posts
making sure this stays at the front of the recovery stories

21 - 36 of 36 Posts