Limbo Phase - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Limbo Phase

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 dookiE

dookiE

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 01:56 PM

Hi All,

at the moment I am in a very weird phase. I started to be more connected in March, but Corona really triggered my anxiety with its rules and regulations. In addition, many more things which are not necessary to go into detail. My symptoms got really bad again, as so many emotions came up and I lost orientation in my inner world.

Two weeks ago I had some findings. I felt that I put myself in check-mate to create the scenario for me that there is no way out. I use the outside to continously relive my experiences and with Corona  this reached a really high level. And this time it felt so true and I cannot escape. It is everywhere......so I felt I cannot solve this by thinking which I often heard but never felt. 

Some days later I was visiting friends and was lying totally exhausted on their couch and suddently my body went into a really peaceful state and my vision slowly became 3-D. I can see the nature in a beauty I never experienced before. My body is with its symptoms still in DP, but in these moments I can be with the symptoms in the moment. I do not want to talk or do anything then. It is a feeling that is wordless. I can even be with severe brain fog, as I can choose to either look at the beauty of nature or get obsessed about my symptoms. It is both there at these moments. 

Unfortunately, I cannot reach this state by myself, as I only experience it with people where I feel safe enough to open up. I cannot do this with my mind, it just happens naturally. When I am by myself again I slowly lose this feeling and even if I feel ok in the evening, then I wake up back again in full DP. In this state I can better be with my current triggers, but at some point they overwhelm me. So it is really tireing to fall in and out of this state and not being able to reach it by myself. Since I know it is both there, it is harder to be with my current state. 

Does anyone of you have experience with this "limbo state"? 

Many Thanks and stay strong

Till

#2 Where

Where

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• Moderators
  • 720 posts

Posted 20 May 2020 - 04:21 PM

If by "limbo state" you mean somewhere between typical DP and normalcy, I think I have been in such a state for years. I only experienced 2D vision for a short time. There are moments when I feel especially DPed from stress, or when I feel better from opening up maybe like you mentioned. I feel good in the morning unless someone interrupts my sleep, which is the norm in the house I'm staying at. How is your sleep?

#3 dookiE

dookiE

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 03:15 AM

different than the normalcy I felt before falling in DP - state. Like a new quite and calm level within me. This morning I woke up with the sentence in my mind: "I cannot deal with me" Like there is a sepatation within me. It is quite a rollercoaster.

My sleep depends. I sleep like 6-9 hours per night, but wake up 1-2 times per night. This morning I woke up quite disorientated and it takes some time to get going. 

#4 Where

Where

• Moderators
  • 720 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 10:26 AM

Emotional numbing probably has some benefits, at least compared to symptoms such as feelings of disorganization and non-existence.

#5 dookiE

dookiE

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 12:06 PM

i prefer the latter, rather than the mental numbing state. In this state there is no energy to think, but rather oberserve and be and let the body organise itself again. I feel this state has healing potential, as it is different to the me known mental circulating state. I feel exhaustion mentally and physical, which is a pleasant feeling. 

#6 Where

Where

• Moderators
  • 720 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 02:14 PM

I mean a subtle emotional numbing. Many people here feel zero connection to their emotions and they don't seem to like it. To me, feeling like I'm crazy or don't exist is scary because I'll take the feelings very literally and then start a cycle of worrying.

#7 dookiE

dookiE

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 02:45 PM

the way to connect to our emotions seems to be our body, as thoughts are also just emotions. It is just soooo exhausting to build up the connection and digest the stored emotions. I remember a book title: "the body keeps the score". Never read it, but it resonates with me. I went to therapy on Monday and since two days my body and brain are so tired, but in a  more relaxed way, which is different to the panic feeling. I feel kind of safe from the inside.  

#8 AnnaGiulia

AnnaGiulia

Regular Contributor

• Moderators
  • 109 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 04:11 PM

@dookiE,

I am currently reading the book that you mentioned, Van der Kolk, Bessel A., The body keeps the score : brain, mind, and body in the healing of trauma, Viking/Penguin Group, New York, 2014.

I am reading it for the third time in a year, actually, as I was not able to retain the information or to grasp it entirely while I was very DPd, but now it makes a lot more sense (lol)

A great book, anyway, and I completely agree with what you said about the body and emotions, as I am also working on it rn.

#9 Where

Where

• Moderators
  • 720 posts

Posted 21 May 2020 - 04:54 PM

In my experience, people who are sleepy at the end of most days are the happiest. It sounds like common sense bullshit, but we need to remind ourselves of this in modern times. Thankfully, people have been paying more attention to this in recent years.

#10 dookiE

dookiE

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 07:54 AM

@Anna: I remember I started to read this book, but I am not ready for it. I had plenty of trauma books and gave all of them away. I felt it is not the time and I rather follow my inner way, although I often feel desperation to read on this topic. I am doing a trauma - therapy (SE & NARM) several times per week. I am not sure, whether these are also mentioned in the book, but based on my personal experience these techniques help me to slowly, but surely connect more with myself. 

@where: With corona I finally came to the conclusion that it is the ideal way to simply believe complete opposite of what the government and the mainstream media suggests. am still in the process, but I feel that this is my main learning from Corona. 

At the moment, I feel more present and less present at the same time. I just met a friend and she said that I seem so much more present. More present within me, but less present with my brain. It feels like one part of me which always controlls the outside is more silent at least if I am not confronted with the current laws and regulations, which is really tireing. Brain fog is much more present, but I can much better be with it. Strangely today I feel that most of my inner feelings have not manifested in my mimic, although I look much more soft compared to some month ago. Strange process with so much insecurity.....

#11 AnnaGiulia

AnnaGiulia

Regular Contributor

• Moderators
  • 109 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 08:32 AM

@Anna: I remember I started to read this book, but I am not ready for it. I had plenty of trauma books and gave all of them away. I felt it is not the time and I rather follow my inner way, although I often feel desperation to read on this topic. I am doing a trauma - therapy (SE & NARM) several times per week. I am not sure, whether these are also mentioned in the book, but based on my personal experience these techniques help me to slowly, but surely connect more with myself.

Hey dookiE/Till,

Yes, somatic experiencing of Peter Levine is mentioned in the book, and I heard of NARM as well. I am glad you are doing that kind of therapy - I would have done it too, if there were a place I could go to, but I was not sure about the options offered here where I live. I also think you have a great ally in yourself, as you decided to rely on your inner way.

I have been facing a very old developmental trauma and its consequences for 17 months now, having some CBT guidance only for the first 6 months, until I reached the limits of such a therapy. I was dissociated most of the time in this period, that was a culmination of a process that started 3,5 years ago. Getting out of DP some month and a half ago only made the process more intense and somewhat more difficult for me to bear, both emotionally and physically, as I have some rather bad somatization, and I am in some sort of pain most of the time, from mild discomfort to pain bolts shooting through my body, as my muscles are not able to relax, day or night.

I guess that is what came next after the "limbo" state that you described, at least in my case. I hope that with proper therapy and support you will go through the next stage of actually feeling all the emotions with less hurdles than I do right now...

Best of luck, I think you are on the right path,

A.

#12 dookiE

dookiE

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 May 2020 - 09:02 AM

Yeah, I am following this techniques for almost a year now about 4-times per week. Almost a year ago I had a big panic attack after a very traumatic event. After that i felt I fade away, until I was fully in DP. Too many emotions for my system. Blank mind and my soul was out of my body. I have no idea, where I am in my process, as I have no idea where it is going. I feel I was dissociated before without knowing it. I still have many somatisations, which are emotions for me that have not come to surface. Every week I get my head above the water, until the next wave comes over night. I cannot put it into words what comes up, so it is pretty old stuff from my early years. I also wake up with realisations about myself. It is quite weird process, as it is on a different level, than the mental level. But I feel that I slowly connect more from week to week. 

From what you write it, there might be still be blocked emotions in your system. I experienced that these can only be solved on a different level, than the mental level and in a safe environment. Only if we are safe enough certrain things within us come to surface. We protect them, as they are often painful experiences from our early years. So connected is one step and then they need to be felt. Yes feeling more real, is quite overwhelming.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users