Do you have certain triggers that gets you into a DDD episode? - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Do you have certain triggers that gets you into a DDD episode?

depersonalization triggers ddd dpdr

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 kh.e.291509

kh.e.291509

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 04:45 AM

Hello! This is Khulan from Mongolia. I'm 20 years old.

I started getting short episodes or moments of depersonalization [for about 5 seconds every time] since I was in elementary school. I would get confused and ask other people if they felt what I felt, too. Since I was a child, people didn't care much about it when I explained what felt. So, then, even I stopped caring about it.

I used to get these 5 seconds of depersonalization once a year or two. But after I turned 17, it started to get really intense and frequent. These days I get ddd episodes at least once every month, often short, but sometimes for hours. I couldn't find much information about this in my native language, so I decided to get help from here.

The weird thing is the triggers. [though it happens occasionally without any triggers]

When I see mannequins up close [not picture], or when I'm surrounded by mirrors, I instantly lose my train of thought, and the ddd episode starts. But if I'm prepared to see mannequins or mirrors, it's perfectly fine. For example, I can go to a clothing store and be okay because I was prepared; but when I enter a room and don't expect to see a mannequin or lots of mirrors there, I get depersonalization.

And sometimes [very rarely] videos or audios can be a trigger for me. Like, there are a few videos on the Internet that I can't watch because it has parts that trigger my ddd even though I'm prepared for what's coming.

As far as I know, ddd is often associated with childhood trauma, depression or drug abuse etc., but I'm healthy both mentally and physically. I don't have anxiety either. And I don't have a phobia of mannequins nor mirrors. So I don't know why it happens to me often. Do you guys also have certain triggers? Or could this be another mental disorder that's similar to ddd?

#2 Findmywayhome

Findmywayhome

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 May 2021 - 10:41 PM

I used to have short episodes of ddd since I was little. Grocery store lights would almost always trigger it for some reason. Being in extremely crowded, noisy, and hot environments also triggered it. It is definitely normal to have triggers

#3 forestx5

forestx5

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1378 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 05 May 2021 - 04:42 AM

I had brief spells of what I termed "depersonalization" which were intense and frightening, but usually lasted less than 2 minutes. I also experienced confusion in large department stores due to

the mirrors and shiny displays. The mirrors and glitter could trigger a spell.  I had an EEG which showed I was having focal temporal lobe seizures.  I was diagnosed

with an epileptic syndrome. The temporal lobe of my brain showed pathology.  Apparently, my damaged temporal lobe couldn't handle the overload of stimuli found in a typical box department store.

I also attribute my lack of resonance with my mirror image to my temporal lobe pathology.  If the eye is the window to the soul, and if the soul resides in the

temporal lobe, then it stands to reason that a damaged temporal lobe is no longer your soulmate.

#4 Grindelwald

Grindelwald

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 340 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 03:01 PM

Weed is a huge trigger which is why I don't use it.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: depersonalization, triggers, ddd, dpdr

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users