Depression, Anxiety, or Depersonalization? - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Depression, Anxiety, or Depersonalization?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Where

Where

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• Moderators
  • 720 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 06:38 PM

Do you believe some DPSH users experience symptoms of depression and anxiety but misattribute them to depersonalization?

#2 Chip1021

Chip1021

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 627 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Posted 09 July 2020 - 07:20 AM

I think because the symptoms of DP/DR are so strange that they basically need to be couched in metaphor in order to even articulate them, a lot of people on here are probably suffering from a lot of different conditions that can be vaguely fit under the umbrella of DP/DR.

#3 badsidejoe

badsidejoe

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:32 AM

Yes, maybe that's the case for me, too. But panic, anxiety and dissociation hit me all at the same time, so it's hard to see what's causing what.

#4 badsidejoe

badsidejoe

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 09:36 AM

Yes, maybe that's the case for me, too. But panic, anxiety and dissociation hit me all at the same time, so it's hard to see what's causing what.
What are the overlapping symptoms of anxiety, depression and DpDr? Could someone elaborate?

#5 Where

Where

• Moderators
  • 720 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 10:21 AM

What are the overlapping symptoms of anxiety, depression and DpDr? Could someone elaborate?

I'm no expert but the first things I can think of are difficulty functioning both mentally and in life.

#6 Chip1021

Chip1021

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 02:31 PM

I'm no expert but the first things I can think of are difficulty functioning both mentally and in life.

This is very, very vague, Where. In this case, DP shares characteristics with having a low IQ.

#7 Chip1021

Chip1021

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 09 July 2020 - 05:22 PM

I would probably say that DPDR has a closer relationship with anxiety. There is often a feedback loop where anxiety can trigger DP, the symptoms of which result in more anxiety, and so on.

I would also say that depression and anxiety are reactive. They are responses to thoughts and life experiences, whereas DPDR is more of a state of existence.

#8 Where

Where

• Moderators
  • 720 posts

Posted 10 July 2020 - 12:00 AM

This is very, very vague, Where. In this case, DP shares characteristics with having a low IQ.

That's usually how mental disorders are identified and how their severity is determined, by how much they reduce functioning.

#9 Grindelwald

Grindelwald

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 302 posts

Posted 12 July 2020 - 01:12 AM

Maybe on this site. DP is something extra. Most people who don't feel disconnected from the world won't relate to this, but people on this site will. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users