PerfectFifth's Content - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

PerfectFifth's Content

There have been 142 items by PerfectFifth (Search limited from 23-September 19)

Sort by                Order  

#620676 Weather affecting DP/DR intensity.

Posted by PerfectFifth on 20 August 2020 - 07:43 AM in Discussion

*Stuff about climate change*

I also remember when in my childhood we had incredibly cold winters here. Hell, the country was kind of known for that. Now it's funny that the stereotype lives on, but there is basically no winter here at all. Yes, climate change will destroy humanity, or more aptly, humanity will finally pay the bill for its irresponsible and unsustainable way of life. What did we expect? The greenhouse effect has been known for about two centuries, and yet we've done nothing. Fossil fuel companies have been lobbying against all policies that have been in favor of the environment, and continue to do so vehemently. Greed and money always wins at the end because those with money ultimately control everything. 

It's over. It's too late to solve climate change now—though as far as I can tell, it was never possible due to how humans evolved to essentially maximize resource hoarding due to the reproductive advantage it provides. The feedback loops are already in effect, emissions keep rising, and on top of that we're slowly running out of resources due to our unsustainable consumption patterns. We're in the endgame of our civilization. These are the last decades before the immensely interconnected superorganism of humanity collapses, and billions (perhaps total extinction) will die due to starvation (total failure of global food system), catastrophic weather events, resource wars, disease, and other problems. Only a real geoengineering miracle could save us at this point—it's not coming. 

Many still seem to believe that climate change is some far-away future concern and therefore don't care. They couldn't be more wrong. It's already happening. It's a matter of decades now at best before the shit really hits the fan. 

I'd be lying if I said that it's not somewhat depressing to live in a world that is about to end in the near future. Feels like working toward long-term goals is a bit of a waste of time. But it must be done regardless. 

To those interested: The Uninhabitable Earth (book)

#620642 Weather affecting DP/DR intensity.

Posted by PerfectFifth on 19 August 2020 - 05:30 PM in Discussion

I find hot weather to be worse. Winter was definitely preferable for me. I'm saying "was" because there aren't really cold winters anymore nowadays here in Finland. There has barely been any snow for years. 

#620248 Real vs not real

Posted by PerfectFifth on 09 August 2020 - 12:01 PM in Discussion

The idea really doesnt bother you? Like if you really consider it, it doesnt? I just wanna not be bothered by it at this point. Is it really not something to worry about? I feel like the idea that even my emotions dont exist changes things and that its all invalid and pointless to experiance if it doesnt exist.

Nonsense doesn't bother me, no. Saying "emotions don't exist" is a prime example of nonsense. Emotions evidently do exist. 

#620036 Solipsism and Coronavirus

Posted by PerfectFifth on 29 July 2020 - 07:32 AM in Discussion

I have had psychosis once when I had a breakdown in 2016. I am on medication an antipsychotic med for bipolar so how would I be psychosis I have had these thoughts for years but still go to work go shopping and do normal things. I have had people misdiagnose psychosis many times on here. As I have said I am on medication so how would I be psychosis? People don’t seem to understand I’ve had these though patterns with my ocd for many years.

I wondered if this was all a ploy to make me some how appetite life?

Your original post seems psychotic because it makes no sense at all. What do you think is killing—and if not killing, then potentially PERMANENTLY DAMAGING those who have had the illness, and that's not just the lungs—people around the world if not COVID-19, a real disease? Coronavirus is not some bullshit, fake story designed to provide something for you in a solipsistic world; it's a real crisis, it's here for everyone equally, and you should treat it as such. 

We have seen many viruses like SARS but none have shut the word down. I have still continued to moan about not getting to NYC and lack of night out.

That is contemptibly petty and frankly a completely ridiculous attitude in the middle of a pandemic like this. 

#619854 Questioning my own existence / extreme dpdr

Posted by PerfectFifth on 24 July 2020 - 12:37 AM in Discussion

You've made this same thread countless times. It's clearly not helping or productive as the loop keeps going. I could reply to this one as well, but I don't see the point as it's all been done before with you at great length, more than once. 

https://www.dpselfhe...ntial-thoughts/

https://www.dpselfhe...and-depression/

https://www.dpselfhe...-own-existence/

https://www.dpselfhe...-solipsism-ocd/

https://www.dpselfhe...ucinating-this/

https://www.dpselfhe...8-i-dont-exist/

https://www.dpselfhe...-non-existence/

And that's just a few of them!

Do you see how futile this is? You're literally repeating the same process over and over. You should try to find another way to cope with this because this doesn't help you. 

#619828 A small survey to SSRi: Did it helps you or worsened your numbing ?

Posted by PerfectFifth on 23 July 2020 - 07:23 AM in Discussion

Nightmarish side effects only. 

#619678 A small survey to lamotrigin (lamictal): Did it helps you or worsened your nu...

Posted by PerfectFifth on 19 July 2020 - 02:31 PM in Discussion

I wonder why lamotrigine as a mono therapy is Less effective than adding an ssri considering there’s no theoretical reason for this to work.

Yeah, good luck with that. You're not going to get an explanation anytime soon considering how poorly the mechanisms of these drugs are understood in general. 

#619610 Depression and existential thoughts

Posted by PerfectFifth on 16 July 2020 - 08:55 AM in Discussion

Yeah, you both are right. Fifth, I appreciate the brutal honesty, it actually worked pretty well hahah

Well, good to hear. I know I'm blunt, but it's just the way I tend to write. I'm not hostile or trying to be disrespectful (and hopefully aren't) or anything. 

#619596 Depression and existential thoughts

Posted by PerfectFifth on 15 July 2020 - 05:44 PM in Discussion

Like, "mh, I'm really experiencing all of this right now, but why? why am i even here, what's the purpose of all this?"

What do you want for an answer? It seems that you're assuming some sort of human-relatable reason here, some sort of agency and objective purpose behind it all, like there was some entity—who of course thinks exactly like a human—who thought it would be cool to have all this stuff doing all this stuff, and so it made the stuff do stuff. Yeah, you're not the only one, hence the existence of so many different religions. We just want to shove agency everywhere; it's natural for us to do so. Doesn't mean there is actual agency everywhere. There is probably no reason, at least the kind that would satisfy you, for your existence. There sure are physical processes that gave rise for your existence, but there isn't some grand cosmic narrative with a protagonist and antagonist that you're probably looking for here. 

Here's the reason for your existence: billions of years of evolution. 

I think your question is essentially a loaded one. You're assuming something unsubstantiated in your question. It's basically asking "what purpose did my creator have (for me) when he made me?" I think your question has that embedded into it. I'm sorry if that's ultimately a strawman, but that's how I interpret your predicament. 

Clearly the evidence, what we know of biological organisms and the universe, won't satisfy you as a reason for your existence. That's why you're grasping here. You seem to want something you can relate to, that there was a consciousness that wanted something with us humans. You want objective purpose given to us by some sort of agent. Something neat and convenient like that, that appeals to your human mind. Well, you're out of luck and stuck forever if that's what you want because the evidence is not coming in.

For those who've also suffered from depression while dp'd, how did you deal with the existential thoughts?

DP never gave me any more existential thoughts than I had prior to it. I don't see why it needs to. If my sense of self is distorted, I have no reason to attribute it to anything but some sort of neurological disturbance because that's what it really is. Nothing more. The self-construct is a result of the physical interaction of neurons just like everything else, and prone to abnormalities which then directly impact your consciousness. 

#619516 when thoughts triggers no metabolism and emotions anymore

Posted by PerfectFifth on 13 July 2020 - 09:13 AM in Discussion

Now, “Runtome” have asked about emotional numbing for over a year. I have replied him 3.times and he then asks again.so, he don`t read the reply. One can hope he reads 10-20% of ones writes. But, it is the same question, as always, just with the word metabolism added to the question he asks. 

Same theme as some individuals have with the solipsism stuff. 

#619508 when thoughts triggers no metabolism and emotions anymore

Posted by PerfectFifth on 13 July 2020 - 06:45 AM in Discussion

that not true...when you get a panic attack because of dangerous thoughts you feel adrenalin in your nervous system and you get nervous, higher pulse etc....this is clear caused by that thoughts and not independently...so you find a lot of body sensations when have positive or negative thoughts

Okay, and this doesn't happen to you? How do you know it's not just a case of not being in a situation that would warrant such a physiological response? Let's see you receive a text message from an unknown number that says you're going to die in an hour and then monitor your heart rate and blood pressure. 

#619504 when thoughts triggers no metabolism and emotions anymore

Posted by PerfectFifth on 13 July 2020 - 06:28 AM in Discussion

Thoughts trigger no metabolism? What? Metabolism is something that runs independent of one's thoughts. 

#619404 Real vs not real

Posted by PerfectFifth on 10 July 2020 - 09:22 AM in Discussion

Before i read this i actually came to the same conclusion about myself existing. I know i have to exist. The other part is like what if awareness can pick up on things that are impossible too? Like that they appear too as impossibilities and i wouldnt know it? So far the only thing ive proved is I (as in just my awareness) exists but idk about anything else. This questioning does sound very irrational i know, but it freaks me out enough to consider it.

Yeah, it's quite irrational. Something being "impossible" is more or less just a tautology for something not existing, so you're back to square one. How can thing X be impossible if it's there for you to sense and clearly has a form? Clearly it *is* there and exists in some sense. If I'm not entirely mistaken, you're probably talking about those objects being illusory in some way, as in their essence is somehow different from how you perceive them (or how they seem to exist in this reality), or that they're "fake".

I haven't dropped my go-to response to these threads yet, so here we go: why does it matter? Why does any of this matter? I couldn't care less whether this is actual, fundamental reality or not, whether my existence is solipsistic, etc. It makes absolutely no difference, and I can't prove it one way or another. It's little more than a waste of time to even think of this. It gets you nowhere. It's an intellectual dead end. 

Whether a table "really exists" is ultimately irrelevant to me. Why? Because it exists to me, and everyone else in this existence, in practice. I can utilize it. It exists to me in this reality, whatever the fundamental nature of said reality. I'm in this "container", and all that matters to me is what takes place in the container and how it operates, how the laws within the container work. The ultimate realness or whatever of the stuff inside the container is irrelevant. And besides, I have no reason to assume it isn't fundamental reality. 

Okay, everything may be fake and so on. Now, tell me why this matters to you. This life is what it is, and it's going to keep going like it has been since you were born, until your death, whatever the fundamental nature of it.

This pondering would be worthwhile if it was at all possible to even investigate. But no, it's not. It's impossible to prove or disprove. 

#619352 Real vs not real

Posted by PerfectFifth on 09 July 2020 - 02:17 AM in Discussion

How can your awareness not exist if you're aware? Seems like a logical contradiction.

It all started with me thinking what if i can perceive only things that dont exist, including myself.

This makes no sense to me. If they didn't exist, would it not follow that there should be nothing to perceive at all? Something that doesn't exist surely should be unavailable to our sensory experience. It shouldn't have any form at all because, by definition, if something doesn't exist, it is nothing, or rather it isn't anything. If there is something to perceive, then something must exist.

Because you're aware, your awareness must exist in some sense. If your awareness didn't exist, you would be dead, in a fully vegetative state, or you simply would never have existed. 

#619298 What is it like to have dp/dr for decades?

Posted by PerfectFifth on 07 July 2020 - 06:57 AM in Discussion

It's not so bad after some years. You get used to it. 

#619190 back to this site

Posted by PerfectFifth on 03 July 2020 - 03:10 PM in Introduce Yourself

A special love, for me is someone who can take your dp away forever. Now I'm married with anoter person, and I'm married an very happy about it. I will tell more about myself later.

I was very much in love, and it did nothing for my DP. Was my love not "special" enough? Did one of us not have DP?

Also, you've now said "I will tell more about myself later" three times. When is it happening? I'm losing faith here. 

#619086 back to this site

Posted by PerfectFifth on 30 June 2020 - 01:46 PM in Introduce Yourself

What's a "special love"?

#619068 So scared.

Posted by PerfectFifth on 29 June 2020 - 08:02 AM in The Daily Forum

I was acting silly with my girlfriend and we were in a small fight through text and she asked me if I drank anything. I started panicking because it wasn’t really me to act silly

Whatever you do is you. Maybe you just don't know yourself all that well. 

#618786 psychological model of a cognitive or mental human process in normal and dysf...

Posted by PerfectFifth on 18 June 2020 - 07:01 PM in Treatment Options

:All which have a driver license, may remember the first hour of learning driving and to shift gears, knows how laborious and how much consciousness is necessary for that. Already after a few repetitions you get caught that you are in a high gear without knowing how you have done it, because it was fast automated respective slipped into the subconscious. And it goes so quick because you had the belief "i can do it" unwritten.

That's nowhere near analogous. Learning motor tasks and changing beliefs about oneself aren't even in the same ballpark. 

It's as if you think that we have complete control over our beliefs and emotions. That's not the case. I, for example, couldn't decide to become sincerely religious, no matter how many times I told myself that God exists and painted every single wall with the text "God is real". That's because there are deterministic factors, completely beyond my control, that dictate that through the "unconscious mind".  

I'm skeptical about positive affirmations in general. Say, someone has a deep conviction that they're ugly. What do you think saying "I'm beautiful" will actually accomplish? I don't think it will accomplish anything at all because they don't actually *believe* it. At worst, it just reminds them of how ugly they actually think they are.

Finally, do you have any sources for this post? There are a lot of bold claims here. 

So the process of automation is a fact, it only works slowly or quicker (depends from your positive belief; unfortunalety you are now in force of strong worrying and anxiety, whereby your positive beliefs at first is less), but it works and your worrying and anxiety will fade out.

Fact, really? Last time I checked, the efficacy of positive affirmations was in severe doubt or even debunked. 

#618728 A question about personality disorders

Posted by PerfectFifth on 17 June 2020 - 09:41 AM in Mental & Physical Health

I'm just amazed how it can be said in a very short amount of time like 15min, without any investigation or looking at any facts. 

Welcome to psychiatry/mental health. You won't find any empirical evidence of anything. 

#618684 Pressure anxiety sensations

Posted by PerfectFifth on 13 June 2020 - 07:37 PM in Discussion

https://www.wellandg...ess-connection/

Have a look at this link smile.png

That is certainly interesting, but at least as far as I understood it, all the research did seem to establish is that there's some sort of interaction between the cerebral cortex and the adrenal medulla, not that core exercise definitively reduces stress or anything of the sort. Still, core exercise of course can't hurt, and this research shows that there may be a benefit to stress. 

This is an example of common sense not always being a good guide, this time on my part. This seems to make no sense from a common sense perspective, but research shows that there is a connection of some sort. 

#618676 Pressure anxiety sensations

Posted by PerfectFifth on 13 June 2020 - 05:26 PM in Discussion

Thank you both for your replies smile.png I will give the exercises some try! Why is it that work on the core and lower part of the body wil help with these anxiety sensations? Or is it pure to be in the moment?

Yeah, I don't see it either. He also suggested deep breathing. Yeah, that may help with anxiety, and as far as I know it has been scientifically proven to do so. But core strength training exercise? Why on earth would that help with anxiety at all? Where's the connection? Does squatting help? What about lifting weights? Where's the logic? Again, as far as I know, exercise in general may help, anything that gets your heart rate up, but why does it have to be a core workout specifically? That seems totally arbitrary to me. 

#618664 Fucked up mean disorder

Posted by PerfectFifth on 13 June 2020 - 05:44 AM in Discussion

Why do you litter the forum with so many pointless threads like this? No one ever replies to most of them, so all they do is clutter the place and stand in the way of actual active, fruitful threads. This thread basically has no topic at all. It's just an empty complaint. 

It's an established pattern by now. I often know what thread is by you before even opening it, especially when I see a barrage of them in the "Latest Posts" section. 

#618652 Fear all my thoughts are determined? By God or someone that’s not me.

Posted by PerfectFifth on 12 June 2020 - 08:56 AM in Discussion

I think everyone's thought generator works similarly.  Great minds think in parallel, and all that.  I think it is important to recognize that the thought generating process is temperamental, and can be disturbed

by "mental" illness,  Mentally ill minds also think in parallel, which is why the DSM-V categorizes the parallel universe of the mentally ill into specific diagnosis. I've been there.  My mind was like an upset stomach,

burping and farting inappropriate thoughts and suggestions for the intellectual chairman's  review.  

I think we have to be careful about drawing direct analogies to "physical illnesses" (quotes because even mental illnesses are ultimately physical!) because the causation mechanism is often not analogous.

This is my view of the matter: most (probably not all) mental illness is not caused by anything abnormal occurring in the body. They're simply normal responses to an adverse environment. To say, then, that "mental illness" is like the flu would be incorrect as in the case of the flu, there's an external viral agent; there's a clear abnormality that isn't part of the body's normal functioning. I suppose mental illness would arguably be more analogous to something like diabetes as that is more like a response to an unhealthy environment. You stuff the body with too much of a negative external factor, and its systems break down due to excessive stress. You could argue that mental illness works the same way: you expose the brain to too many external stressors, and its function and therefore the psyche of the person suffers for it. 

Nothing abnormal, no endogenous pathology, is actually occurring; it's just that the natural, normal threshold for a certain external factor has been crossed. 

So, in a nutshell, my point is that the machine is working as intended, exactly as designed. The machine, even though it seems that way on the surface, is not malfunctioning. It's just reacting normally to the inputs given by the environment. The machine's design could be said to be incompatible with the inputs it's receiving from its surroundings, and that's how its "illness" results in. 

But you could object that "So what, coronary artery disease is caused by atherosclerosis, which is primarily caused by poor diet. That doesn't make it any less of a disease. It's normal and expected of the body to react this way". And yeah, that is correct. I guess drawing analogies to non-mental illnesses can be perfectly valid, at least it seems that way to me. But "depression is like the flu" seems incorrect as it's due to a virus, a clear external agent, not due to a slow build up of adverse external factors.

I think in mental illness, the biggest problem is where to draw the line between illness and normality as there is no clear empirical biomarker. Filling questionnaires and rating your mood on a scale from 1 to 5 only goes so far. It's pretty arbitrary. How do you distinguish between ordinary bouts of mental difficulty and "mental illness"? 

Well, from this ramble, one thing is clear: I haven't thought this through properly. 

#618650 Fear all my thoughts are determined? By God or someone that’s not me.

Posted by PerfectFifth on 12 June 2020 - 08:29 AM in Discussion

Btw, below is a philosophical theory about consciousness I've found really interesting.

https://www.youtube....h?v=oYp5XuGYqqY

Yeah, that was interesting. I was already familiar with it, and I believe I've read a paper written by the same person (?) about the same topic before, but it was still an interesting watch. The first time you realize this, it's quite the revelation. Our unexamined intuition is that we see reality exactly as it is, as an accurate, objective 1:1 representation. That's completely false.