Medication making things worse? - Treatment Options - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Medication making things worse?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 whatislife

whatislife

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 35 posts

Posted 10 June 2020 - 02:12 PM

Has anyone else tried taking medication to treat their DPDR but getting on and off meds only made it way worse? About a year ago I tried taking medication (zoloft/lamotrogine) to treat my dpdr symptoms and it helped immensely with certain symptoms like anxiety but made the feeling of things seeming unreal almost worse. After taking these meds for a few months I decided to ween off of them over the course of about 2 weeks and that's when my dpdr skyrocketed into a different dimension. I spent about 5 months in a different world almost as if I smoked DMT and just left earth. It literally felt like I was on every psychedelic there is at the same time while an atom bomb was dropping on my head lol. I've now been off meds for about 8 months and things are still kind of trippy but not nearly as bad as they used to be. I've actually noticed subtle improvements every single day consistently for the last 8 months which gives you an idea of how crazy things must have been.

I haven't heard much talk of people experimenting with meds and making their situation way worse. I had no idea it was so risky to try to them and I'm starting to wonder if I just weened off the meds too quickly or if this is normal. I believe there's a couple reasons I'm seeing consistent progress every day and expect to be fully recovered within a matter of weeks (at about 90% recovered right now). The first reason I believe I'm recovering is just because of time. If I do nothing special to recover I still notice improvements because my brain is still "sorting itself out" from the damage that getting on and off meds caused. The second reason is because I have a daily cardio routine where I ride my road bike for 2 hours every single day. This daily habit was inspired after reading this post here https://www.dpselfhe...e-cure-to-dpdr/

On a side note what's interesting is dpdr seems to have so many different "states" or dimensions. A year ago before I ever started taking meds things were just kind of foggy and I was in fight or flight mode 24/7. Everything was always perceived as a threat and I was stuck in my "lower self". While on meds I had no anxiety anymore which makes sense given the meds I was taking, but after getting off meds I still had no anxiety despite all the other dpdr symptoms being at 100/10. Right now, 8 months after getting off meds, I'm about 90% recovered and there's no anxiety and I don't have blurry vision anymore. I just have a couple weird symptoms where things look "unfamiliar" and the "perceiver" in my head feels kind of wavy and out of wack.

This disorder is a beast to overcome and I have so much empathy for anyone on their journey to overcome it as well. I've had it for a total of 3 years now (ironically triggered from getting off zoloft back when I was taking it only for anxiety/depression) and in the last 3 years I've probably suffered more than the first 25 years of my life leading up to that point. I pray that an actual cure comes along soon and we don't have to needlessly suffer anymore. I wish you all the best, god bless.

#2 bintuae

bintuae

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 175 posts

Posted 14 June 2020 - 05:43 AM

Has anyone else tried taking medication to treat their DPDR but getting on and off meds only made it way worse? About a year ago I tried taking medication (zoloft/lamotrogine) to treat my dpdr symptoms and it helped immensely with certain symptoms like anxiety but made the feeling of things seeming unreal almost worse. After taking these meds for a few months I decided to ween off of them over the course of about 2 weeks and that's when my dpdr skyrocketed into a different dimension. I spent about 5 months in a different world almost as if I smoked DMT and just left earth. It literally felt like I was on every psychedelic there is at the same time while an atom bomb was dropping on my head lol. I've now been off meds for about 8 months and things are still kind of trippy but not nearly as bad as they used to be. I've actually noticed subtle improvements every single day consistently for the last 8 months which gives you an idea of how crazy things must have been.

I haven't heard much talk of people experimenting with meds and making their situation way worse. I had no idea it was so risky to try to them and I'm starting to wonder if I just weened off the meds too quickly or if this is normal. I believe there's a couple reasons I'm seeing consistent progress every day and expect to be fully recovered within a matter of weeks (at about 90% recovered right now). The first reason I believe I'm recovering is just because of time. If I do nothing special to recover I still notice improvements because my brain is still "sorting itself out" from the damage that getting on and off meds caused. The second reason is because I have a daily cardio routine where I ride my road bike for 2 hours every single day. This daily habit was inspired after reading this post here https://www.dpselfhe...e-cure-to-dpdr/

On a side note what's interesting is dpdr seems to have so many different "states" or dimensions. A year ago before I ever started taking meds things were just kind of foggy and I was in fight or flight mode 24/7. Everything was always perceived as a threat and I was stuck in my "lower self". While on meds I had no anxiety anymore which makes sense given the meds I was taking, but after getting off meds I still had no anxiety despite all the other dpdr symptoms being at 100/10. Right now, 8 months after getting off meds, I'm about 90% recovered and there's no anxiety and I don't have blurry vision anymore. I just have a couple weird symptoms where things look "unfamiliar" and the "perceiver" in my head feels kind of wavy and out of wack.

This disorder is a beast to overcome and I have so much empathy for anyone on their journey to overcome it as well. I've had it for a total of 3 years now (ironically triggered from getting off zoloft back when I was taking it only for anxiety/depression) and in the last 3 years I've probably suffered more than the first 25 years of my life leading up to that point. I pray that an actual cure comes along soon and we don't have to needlessly suffer anymore. I wish you all the best, god bless.

Yes. I never tried zoloft but I did many antidepressants in combination with Lamictal, not at one time of course (Paxil, Prozac, Trintellix, Pristiq, Cymbalta, Wellbutrin). Each one of them except for Lamictal made dp/dr much worse. Cymbalta and Prozac were especially bad. I felt as if I was high very dissociated and like existing somewhere else. I'm still looking for the magic pill though.

oh btw like you, my dp/dr was triggered from getting off paxil 5 years ago when I was taking it only for social anxiety. 

#3 forestx5

forestx5

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1245 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 14 June 2020 - 08:49 PM

The worst time to begin antidepressant treatment is when your symptoms are severe.  Which, of course, is when most people decide they better begin SSRI therapy. And, I suspect that is the reason the meds have suicide

as a side effect.  I began Paxil during a very rough period of major depression, and I got progressively worse every day for over a week.  It was horrible and I was extremely ill. Then, in the midst of my despair, I felt a 

strange inkling of hope. I clung to it and I slowly eased out of the darkness. All in all, it was a very risky thing to begin that medication in the shape I was in.  A decade or two later, I discovered ECT and I look back now

and realize that would have been the appropriate treatment, rather than the  SSRI.  I continued taking an SSRI following the ECT, but realized I didn't need it.  I have been med free for about 5 years and depression free.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users