Caffeine - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Caffeine

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Kell0613

Kell0613

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 07:48 PM

How does caffeine affect your dp/Dr for me it makes me worse and that sucks because I love coffee I had a really bad episode today and I'm seriously contemplating switching up meds to what I don't know if you have any recommendations let me know

#2 forestx5

forestx5

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1245 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 08 June 2020 - 07:56 PM

So many things have caffeine as an ingredient.  I play billiards competitively and it gives me hand and arm tremors.  I cut it out of my diet for several months and the tremors improved significantly.

Drinking decaffeinated coffee is like drinking non-alcoholic beer.  You come to realize that you drink coffee for the caffeine and beer for the alcohol.  LOL  It's just not the same without it.

Everything in moderation is good advice.

#3 James_80

James_80

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 215 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 10 June 2020 - 10:21 AM

How does caffeine affect your dp/Dr for me it makes me worse and that sucks because I love coffee I had a really bad episode today and I'm seriously contemplating switching up meds to what I don't know if you have any recommendations let me know

Caffeine tends to improve concentation, focus and energy but at the same time increases anxiety. I think there is a bit of overlap with adhd and dp/dr symptoms. They are separate conditions but they overlap and interact. Also, caffeine messes with your sleep, which is bad for mental health all round. I find caffeine can really help me on bad days when I can't focus on anything and can't think straight but I try to keep it to a minimum. Drinking it all day is a recipe for disaster for me. If you can, I would say completely avoid caffeine. But unfortunately it's positive effects are too luring for myself. I've been addicted to it for a long time and withdrawing to no caffeine takes a long time to fully recover from. Many months if you have been taking it for years. Physcial symptoms might just last a week or two but the mental effects take much longer. It's similar in a way to withdrawing from antidepressants.

#4 Grindelwald

Grindelwald

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 289 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 04:10 PM

Try caffeine with theanine

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users