Do u agree with this? - Treatment Options - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Do u agree with this?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Zayniii

Zayniii

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 07 June 2020 - 10:37 AM

My 24/7 dp/dr started when I was 13 years old and had to start living with my parents. Before that I didn't live with them. (I always had issues living at home)

So I think maybe I don't feel safe living at home which is why the dp started.

Do u think if I move out, I might feel safe, and then that could fix this?

Because ppl say dp/dr is there because u dont feel safe

#2 AnnaGiulia

AnnaGiulia

Regular Contributor

• Moderators
  • 119 posts

Posted 08 June 2020 - 06:10 AM

Hey Zayniii,

Feeling safe at one’s home is necessary to feel ok.

I cannot give you any advice, though, as I do not know you situation, but before making any big changes, such as moving out and starting your life somewhere else, it is always a good thing to put some effort first into understanding what is it that makes you feel unsafe, and to have some consultations with your therapist about that.

Removing yourself from the environment that feels unsafe to you will probably not automatically solve everything, but it can be a start - provided that is part of your problem. However, from your post I basically read that you are guessing as to what could have caused you DP, and among other things that you found out, this one rang a bell. Perhaps it is a good lead, and you should work with that.

DP in its form that I have (when it is caused by long-term repetitive trauma in childhood) means detaching yourself from your feelings, thoughts, even body, as in "removing" yourself from situations or sensations that you find unbearable. Many of us who develop this coping mechanism early on in life, have it triggered later by some situations, usually when we are faced with feelings that we find intolerable. Your current living conditions could be triggering for you in some way, even without posing a real threat atm. However, it may be a completely different cause for your DP, so this is basically just guessing.

Take care,

A.

#3 forestx5

forestx5

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1285 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 08 June 2020 - 06:22 AM

My do travelled well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users