Quick Question, I'd appreciate responses - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Quick Question, I'd appreciate responses

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 AlPal24

AlPal24

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 12:43 AM

Hi guys, 

I feel as if I am recovering from DP/DR and that thoughts are the only things that are causing me anxiety and holding me back from making my full recovery. Also - this damn coronavirus makes me feel like I'm in a dream or am in a simulation.

Have you guys ever had the fear that other people don't have mental states and are just zombies in a way? This makes me feel very lonely.

I appreciate it a lot, Alec

#2 AnnaGiulia

AnnaGiulia

Regular Contributor

• Moderators
  • 108 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 07:20 AM

Hey Alec,

DPDR can make you perceive the things around you differently, and this current situation most certainly does not help when you feel like that...Curiously enough, for me the world does not look stranger than per usual...It actually looks closer to what I otherwise experience on a daily basis.

As far as your fear goes, about people being zombies, I can assure you that people are just people, some of them more and some of them less involved with their mental states. I hope it makes you a bit less alone in your fears.

Take care,

Anna

#3 Where

Where

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• Moderators
  • 701 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 10:01 AM

People do have mental states and consciousness. Whether or not the world is an illusion is a different subject.

#4 PerfectFifth

PerfectFifth

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 323 posts

Posted 30 March 2020 - 11:53 AM

Have you guys ever had the fear that other people don't have mental states and are just zombies in a way? This makes me feel very lonely.

Yes, but why would it be so? They have the same hardware as you do, the brain, and all evidence points to the brain producing consciousness, consciousness being entirely dependent on the brain organ. Therefore, why would they not be conscious just like you, given they have the same consciousness-producing organ?

It's a fun thing to ponder, but there's absolutely no reason to believe solipsism would be true. 

Also what is there to fear? Given that they display the full spectrum of behaviors as you do and at least "fake" these mental states, what does it matter even if they were somehow fundamentally different from yours? I don't see why it would really matter as it wouldn't change anything about anything. The world keeps rotating and people keep functioning in full capacity, regardless of whether their emotions, sense of pain, etc are identical to yours or exist at all.

Eventually we'll probably have AIs that are on humans' level in terms of intelligence (and beyond). Does it matter that they don't feel the same way? Well, I can't answer that fully right now as it involves complex moral considerations, but you get the point. 

The bottom line is that it doesn't matter because it changes nothing. Even if it were confirmed to be true somehow (impossible scenario), you would still feel a deep aversion to hurting or killing another human being, even with the knowledge that they feel no pain the same way you do. But it's not true, so you can just forget about it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users