Thoughts on personal trauma. - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Thoughts on personal trauma.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 santi123

santi123

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:52 PM

Hello guys,

Wanted to post a thought that just occurred to me earlier.

Have you guys considered that if this disorder is a trauma-based disorder and a potential main source of trauma could be in the sense of the hardship of experiencing this disorder and going through it, therefore, by looking it up more and being on this page it is just fuels this trauma, leading to it being a never ending cycle? 
*its like digging and opening a scab without letting it heal*

Thought of the day,
Stay safe my peeps. 

#2 forestx5

forestx5

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1309 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 22 March 2020 - 08:47 PM

I precede this board by 20 years.  My trauma began in 1971, before there was an internet to support a board.

My trauma didn't care if the board existed, or not.

I ruminated about my illness and symptoms alone, before there was a practical way to find others

who shared similar symptoms.  I didn't seek psychiatric help for my first 20 years.

This group has changed quite a bit over the years.  Baby boomers to millennials.

I was off and on researching the origins of my illness for 40 years.  If I could have ignored it, 

I certainly would have.  As it turned out, I solved my riddle.  At 17, I had a series of powerful temporal 

lobe seizures that damaged my temporal lobe; gifting me with the affective disorder of recurrent 

major depression.  Researching my "rare epileptic syndrome" led to explanations of all the odd

symptoms I experienced, which grounded me for the longer haul.  No, I don't regret the time I spent

searching for my answers. But, I never considered myself a neurotic. 

#3 santi123

santi123

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 10:10 PM

I precede this board by 20 years.  My trauma began in 1971, before there was an internet to support a board.

My trauma didn't care if the board existed, or not.

I ruminated about my illness and symptoms alone, before there was a practical way to find others

who shared similar symptoms.  I didn't seek psychiatric help for my first 20 years.

This group has changed quite a bit over the years.  Baby boomers to millennials.

I was off and on researching the origins of my illness for 40 years.  If I could have ignored it, 

I certainly would have.  As it turned out, I solved my riddle.  At 17, I had a series of powerful temporal 

lobe seizures that damaged my temporal lobe; gifting me with the affective disorder of recurrent 

major depression.  Researching my "rare epileptic syndrome" led to explanations of all the odd

symptoms I experienced, which grounded me for the longer haul.  No, I don't regret the time I spent

searching for my answers. But, I never considered myself a neurotic. 

Ever since I was diagnosed about 1 year and 3 months, I have been constantly researching about it, day after day. Obviously since it disrupts your vision, feeling and so, it is nearly impossible for one to forget about it or not search it up since its constantly there.
Hence, this board here has been very very helpful for me and others to understand this disorder and feeling connected to others than are suffering the same thing, not feeling alone completely.  

Although, in my case, it was triggered by substance abuse and well my anxiety level spiked up abnormally, tricking my brain in believing that I am going through something traumatic events. Some have gone through therapy to understand their trauma and once they have resolved their trauma after countless amount of therapeutical seasons, they progress alot. However, in my case, I haven't had anything really traumatic, and reasoning this disorder everyday in the sense of what is my trauma had me always thinking. Therefore, I came to my senses that it might be the experience, discomfort and constant thought of this disorder that can result in it being my unresolved trauma? Researching it everyday can have a negative impact on my anxiety levels? Not sure. 

#4 AlPal24

AlPal24

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 11:17 PM

Honestly. I think the best idea is to read a sweet recovery story, pack your bags and head out with those positive thoughts in mind. The less you research, the more at ease our sensitive minds will be. I am also an avid researcher when it comes to dpdr. I am trying to force myself to never go onto a web browser if it is for dpdr. The past 4 hours have felt somewhat more relaxing as I have not googled anything, besides me being on this forum haha. 

#5 Heather414

Heather414

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 149 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 07:26 AM

I agree with ALpal here. This is my 3rd time having this condition (dont be scared by that mines always trauma/stress/anxiety related) and I believe that DP/DR itself can be traumatizing and coming on here frequently, reading all the forums and stuff might make your brain keep thinking that something is wrong, thus prolonging your recovery from this. In my past experiences with DP/DR it wasnt until I stopped or slowed down coming on here, that I started to actually recover.

What you should do is print out/screenshot a good and positive recovery story with recovery tips and never come back on here. Only read the recovery story if your feeling really stressed or upset about your symptoms. BUT if you feel you absolutely cant stay away and need someone to talk to/vent there are always very nice people here that would be willing to do that with you, as I'm sure you already know that :) !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users