A question about personality disorders - Page 2 - Mental & Physical Health - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

A question about personality disorders

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#13 Chip1021

Chip1021

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 627 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:30 AM

I was going to say it's funny that part of society consider tobacco use a disorder while another part encourage it, but thinking about it more I realize it's mundane. The same thing is with junk food and overeating. And if a person gets drunk alone regularly, they're maybe considered an alcoholic, while doing so with other people is condoned.

A lot of this has to do with whether your issue causes any social problems (or, again, harmfulness to self or others). The college student who drinks himself stupid everyday may not be considered an alcoholic, but the parent who has one too many beers at dinner and then drives home, is stopped by the cops, and arrested “has a problem”, and may be an alcoholic for life. There’s a reason the rate of alcoholism is higher in suburbs and rural areas than in inner cities: people who live in inner cities don’t need to drive home after a night of drinking!

Another thing: drinking at night: ok. During the day: alcoholic.

#14 Chip1021

Chip1021

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 10:42 AM

Yeah, of course I'm not going to be my own doctor. I started being aware of my problems since 2005 and I've learned a lot since then. I'm actually more interested in the available treatments rather than a diagnosis. If the treatment sounds good I don't care what they call it. I'm not too sensitive to the term Personality Disorders either.
It's just that doctors take a very one-sided approach and they insist on being always right. That's why I didn't go back to that doctor, he was very one-sided.

I think this is the right attitude to have. Examine the various treatment options, and if one seems to be reasonably relatable to the specific problems that you e been having, then try it out. Of course, you’ll have to get “diagnosed” with the “disease” for which the treatment is indicated, but that usually isn’t too hard, unless it’s ADHD. That’s how many mental health people operate: the diagnosis you get depends on the treatments they want to give you as well as what insurance covers.

#15 Abe89

Abe89

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 85 posts
  • LocationSri Lanka

Posted 23 June 2020 - 10:37 AM

Of course, you’ll have to get “diagnosed” with the “disease” for which the treatment is indicated, but that usually isn’t too hard, unless it’s ADHD.

Hey Chip,
So what's different about ADHD?

#16 Chip1021

Chip1021

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 627 posts

Posted 23 June 2020 - 06:51 PM

Hey Chip,
So what's different about ADHD?

The fact that the drugs prescribed for it are often abused and passed around in schools. That and the fact that rates of diagnosis have been ridiculously high in some places. I think I read somewhere that 1/3 of boys in Alabama have received a diagnosis of ADHD. At least at one point they were that high, and it was very embarrassing for the profession of psychiatry. So they are very reluctant in many places to give out such diagnoses.

#17 Abe89

Abe89

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 85 posts
  • LocationSri Lanka

Posted 24 June 2020 - 06:41 AM

The fact that the drugs prescribed for it are often abused and passed around in schools. That and the fact that rates of diagnosis have been ridiculously high in some places. I think I read somewhere that 1/3 of boys in Alabama have received a diagnosis of ADHD. At least at one point they were that high, and it was very embarrassing for the profession of psychiatry. So they are very reluctant in many places to give out such diagnoses.

I see. That haven't happened in our country yet. But a lots of children are being screened for hyperactivity and attention problems in schools these days.
My cousin's youngest son of 7yrs was identified as being hyperactive recently.

#18 ReiTheySay

ReiTheySay

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 91 posts

Posted 24 June 2020 - 04:29 PM

Interesting. I've never thought about it or seen it this way. I get how it can be seen this way as an autistic person.

Honestly, it feels like one of these terms that in ten years or so they find a different alternative to. It feels like an umbrella term that is not accurate to be honest.

And it is a little disturbing to think "personality disorder" does suggest there's something wrong with the personality/person as a whole or how it functions as a whole where a lot of times it's aspects of it, or not even necessarily "personality".

I think it's also the connotation it has. Comes from the doctors themselves. 

Btw, 15 minutes to diagnose? terrible doctor. I have had my own share with them. Most recent doctor I went to needed 2-3 sessions to try to diagnose me (then decided he really couldn't, at least he knows his limits)

Good points Chip & Where. I think when you realize that societal norms extend to the psychiatric industry and nothing is an exception, you don't take everything from their point as an absolute.

#19 Where

Where

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• Moderators
  • 720 posts

Posted 27 June 2020 - 04:42 PM

Btw, 15 minutes to diagnose? terrible doctor. I have had my own share with them. Most recent doctor I went to needed 2-3 sessions to try to diagnose me (then decided he really couldn't, at least he knows his limits)

Thinking about standards, the only time I've seen a fifteen minute diagnosis is when one officially needed to be made in order for treatment to be given. The standard evaluation is longer than fifteen minutes, possibly an hour or two, but even then the doctor's view is colored by what you tell them and what glimpse they got of you in that moment.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users