How many therapists are helpful? - The Daily Forum - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

How many therapists are helpful?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Where

Where

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• Moderators
  • 671 posts

Posted 20 February 2020 - 07:43 PM

Today. my new therapist who I thought was going to help me told me that I need to take my medicine and think more positive thoughts. This was a revelation to me, because for the past decade I've been giving my medicine to the dog and trying to think the most negative thoughts I could.

#2 forestx5

forestx5

• DPSH Members
  • 1233 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:20 AM

You saw my post about Robyn Dawes' book "House of Cards"?  Typically, you have to spend much more $ before it dawns on you that many therapists are but licensed frauds.

Since they paid to acquire a psychology degree (the most popular degree available), they  feel legitimate in charging you for treatment of conditions for which they have no training or understanding.

I had more than a half dozen psychologists and therapists over a 30 year period.  The most I could say for two of them was that they seemed capable of empathy.  I suppose that is sufficient for their  patients

on public assistance and Medicare, who had no real expectations to ever get well.  I wasn't looking for sympathy.  I wanted answers.  None were forthcoming from the mental health community.

My illness originated from the (as yet) uninvestigated realm of neurology.

#3 Where

Where

• Moderators
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 February 2020 - 12:43 PM

None were forthcoming in the mental health community.

Isn't that the strangest part? I might read that book you suggested.

#4 forestx5

forestx5

• DPSH Members
  • 1233 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 22 February 2020 - 06:12 AM

Robyn Dawes is a seriously intelligent  human being who had some important  issues to deal with in raising a disabled daughter alone.  His frustrations with the psychology industry mirrored my own in many ways,

and I found his book to be a refreshing endorsement of my dissatisfaction with the mental health industry et al. His book also serves as a warning for those who may be subject to the influence of "professional opinion"

from supposed experts, who have no real authority.  Having a degree in psychology is relatively worthless, but their associations have power due to the large number of people who have aspired to worthlessness.  lol

#5 Where

Where

• Moderators
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 February 2020 - 11:38 AM

I read the first few sections of the book. It seems like people in society are dummies for trusting clinical psychologists to moderate each other intellectually.

#6 Broken

Broken

• DPSH Members
  • 754 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 February 2020 - 07:03 PM

As a society we really need to look at what is a philosophy and a science. Journalism, psychology and even climatology are things that have huge impacts on society and yet, are not science. Go to 10 different journalist, psychologists or climatologists and you will get 10 different answers with 10 different solutions.

These things aren't 'professions'. Which is a shame as there are some people in those fields use science and data objectively to prove or disprove their points. There are good psychotherapists that perhaps have an innate wisdom to cure some psychological illnesses (if indeed they were treatable via talk therapy in the first place).

I may have found a good therapist at the moment, but god knows if it will cure me or help. But she seems to care and is making me talk about things in different ways. Plus it is phone therapy, which for whatever reason makes me more capable of shedding a tear at times which perhaps I need to do to get this emotional junk processed. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users