is treatment necessary or can you heal alone? - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

is treatment necessary or can you heal alone?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 santi123

santi123

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 08:55 AM

I have been wondering for quite sometime if it is necessary to take medication in order to heal from this disorder or can you heal by yourself?
I have had DP/DR for over a year now and throughout this journey i have felt that my condition is improving month by month, although at a very slow rate without medication.
Please do let me know, cheers. 

#2 Al_pk

Al_pk

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 445 posts
  • LocationExeter, United Kingdom

Posted 17 February 2020 - 12:14 PM

It is perfectly possible to recover from an anxiety based disorder without medication. I recovered fully without meds first time I got hit with DPDR. However, my later breakdowns got worse, and I had to try out meds to manage it. My brain gets seriously out of control though.

Personally I would say if you can manage without meds, then go without. I wish I never got involved in the dpdr/ medications lifestyle. But I was horrendous so i kinda had to

#3 PerfectFifth

PerfectFifth

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 335 posts

Posted 17 February 2020 - 03:58 PM

It's possible, probably depending on the cause of DPDR symptoms. 

#4 James_80

James_80

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 230 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 17 February 2020 - 04:28 PM

It is perfectly possible to recover from an anxiety based disorder without medication. I recovered fully without meds first time I got hit with DPDR. However, my later breakdowns got worse, and I had to try out meds to manage it. My brain gets seriously out of control though.

Personally I would say if you can manage without meds, then go without. I wish I never got involved in the dpdr/ medications lifestyle. But I was horrendous so i kinda had to

The exact same happened to me!

I agree with what Al_pk said - medications can help if you're really bad but once you get started on them and they work, you might not be the same after. You may wonder if the person you are on medication is the person you should be or if the medication free person is who you really are. My mental health become much more erratic once I tried to come off antidepressants. It's like they messed with my brain long term. It's what has been part of inducing my latest period of chronic dp. You can be really unstable after finishing a course of antidepressants and this can sometimes flick the dp switch to 'on' in your brain. I don't regret taking them because they showed me what normal mental health should be and really changed my life around when I needed it. It's just that medication can screw with your sense of who you are and what you should be.

You can heal without meds and it will be much more empowering to do it that way. No one should be left in desperate suffering though when medication can help out. Proceed with caution is what I would say.

#5 santi123

santi123

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 01:50 PM

In short, it is possible to heal by yourself. Are you doing anything that you think is particularly beneficial to recovery, or are you just giving it time and acceptance?

There's no proven medication for DP, though there's some limited evidence for a few, SSRIs being one example. Some people take antidepressants and feel more DPed. Treatments besides medication exist, such as talk therapy and lifestyle changes, though I imagine very few of them are designed to help with DP specifically.

The TMS that can target brain areas associated with DP is called rTMS, and is currently difficult for many people to receive, for logistical and financial reasons.

That's good, and that makes sense. Most people get DP during some kind of drug or mental health episode, and then start to recover. I'll just warn you not to be too reluctant to ask for help if need be, especially if you have depression or anxiety, in the form of therapy and lifestyle changes as well as medication

True, 
Well I always believe that nutrition has a huge impact on your overall health, so I tend to eat pretty healthy. In my case, DP/DR has not been triggered by emotional trauma or so, just weed induced DP/DR. 

In terms of supplements, I take magnesium, vitamin B12 and vitamin B6. It has helped me a lot in reducing my amount of anxiety. According to NCBI, there is a case study of a women being treated with Vitamin B12 due to her psychosis and time distortion. However, I believe that DP/DR is not psychosis but more as neurosis. https://www.ncbi.nlm...pubmed/15029091

Magnesium and vitamin B6 are found to reduce the tension of the nervous system and reduce the amount of anxiety. Nevertheless, this can be applied with a careful dosage. https://www.ncbi.nlm...les/PMC6298677/

Its been a month now that I have been taking this supplement and I see no side-effects, considering that I am quite sensitive to any sort of medication. 

#6 Psyborg

Psyborg

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 437 posts

Posted 18 February 2020 - 08:49 PM

generally yes but for me it was not possible without meds . the funny thing is that I developed it because of meds (because of stopping them too quickly) to begin with

I also think it depends on the level of dp/dr ...if it is mild or strong , if you have other things like panic attacks along with it etc

me personally I accepted that I have a chemical imbalance in my brain and the meds I take now dont make me fat so I am ok with taking them

#7 santi123

santi123

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 15 March 2020 - 02:37 PM

Nutrition is very important, and can be challenging to get depending on your circumstances. Lately, I've been eating a lot of flash frozen meats, vegetables, and fruit. The other half of my diet is Larabars, which is probably an issue. I take all the supplements that are recommended to me by docs, including things I might be deficient in. Sleep, exercise, and psychological aspects are important too.

I know its been quite some time but have you taken any meds through the time you have been experiencing DP/DR? 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users