Phobia for alcohol or drugs due to DP/DR? - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Phobia for alcohol or drugs due to DP/DR?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 santi123

santi123

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 02:34 AM

After DP/DR, sobriety is a blessing which to some is under-appreciated. Alcohol and other things that impairs my mental capacity give me a sense of panic thinking that could lead to DP/DR arising again. 

Do you guys feel the same?

#Thoughtsoftheday

Have a good week,
cheers,
Santi.

#2 AnnaGiulia

AnnaGiulia

Regular Contributor

• Moderators
  • 134 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 12:22 PM

After DP/DR, sobriety is a blessing which to some is under-appreciated. Alcohol and other things that impairs my mental capacity give me a sense of panic thinking that could lead to DP/DR arising again. 

Do you guys feel the same?

#Thoughtsoftheday

Have a good week,
cheers,
Santi.

I have always dreaded drugs, as my childhood was plagued by dissociation and - at the time I did not know it - DP and DR. I always felt as if I were in a dream, and nothing around me made sense - school, social relations, homework that we were given. I was as intelligent as the most intelligent kids in the class, but could not perceive the world as they did. When in my younger adult years, I did try weed twice, but more for show, and I am not even sure that I properly inhaled. Apart from that, I have never ever tried drugs, and I disliked the idea that the world may seem even more weird than it already was.

I do not, however, dread drinking. I were rarely ever drunk in my life, let's say three times altogether, and I actually like to have a glass of wine, it makes me feel floating but in a good way. As if there's a reason for me feeling that way, you know? I don't know if that makes sense. You made me think about this, and I was surprised to realize that when I have a really bad onset of DP, I actually tend to drink more, e.g. one glass of wine every day. When I feel well, I practically do not drink, apart from some special occasions or gatherings. Perhaps drinking is not such a good idea after all...

#3 curiousmind

curiousmind

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 100 posts
  • LocationBudapest, Hungary

Posted 10 February 2020 - 03:05 PM

If your DPDR was drug-induced then you will likely have developed a passion for disliking such substances, or whats more, you have come to fear mind-altering substances all together. My DPDR was induced by ecstasy and for the longest time I swore to never touch drugs, alcohol, caffeine or any mind-altering substance ever again. It is generally not a bad thing to want to stay away from such substances that you would use to arbitrarily make you happier (or to cover up some deeper, underlying, unresolved issue), however, I came to realise that my motivation for staying away from these substances was out of fear of what "they have done to me", which lead to avoidance behaviours and an underlying source of anxiety: not a psychologically sound way to live. The logic was: I took the drug, something bad happened to me, therefore the drug is evil. However, overtime I processed my traumatic experience and returned to my previous mindset that the drugs are not malevolent in and of themselves, they are purely chemicals just like food or particulate matter in the air or pharmaceuticals or what have you. That being said, I stay away from these substances nevertheless, because I don't need them to be happy, I am finding solace and joy in other things such as exercise, family relationships and friendships. But that is to say that I also don't fear substances, in fact, I have since my onset revisited some of my older acquaintances. 

It is probably a good thing to stay away from drugs and alcohol no matter who you are (in my opinion, because you are likely using them to fill a void in your life), but you shouldn't be fearing these substances, they are not inherently harmful. If your DPD was induced by ecstacy, think about how MDMA is being used in clinical settings to treat PTSD. If your DPD was induced by weed, think about how it is being used in a therapeutic context for those with cancer. If your DPD was induced by a psychadelic like LSD, then think about how psychadelic research is progressing, and how such mind-altering substances (ayahuasca and psilocybin mushrooms as well) are being used in the treatment of severe depression. Drugs are not evil, forget all the fear-mongering that you were subjected to in your childhood. In the just-mentioned scenarios, drugs are actually benevolent

If your DPD was induced by drugs, just know that it wasn't the drugs' fault per se, rather you are predisposed to a certain reaction to them, and you were probably in the wrong place at the wrong time. Don't blame yourself because you didn't know this about yourself, and don't blame the substance either because it didn't intend to harm you either. Blame your rVLPFC if anything haha. That is also to say that you would have likely developed this condition anyway at some point during your development. That night when I took ecstacy, I took the same type of pill that a couple of my other friends took as well. I developed DPD, they didn't, it wasn't the drugs fault. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users