I suffer from reccuring DP/DR: This is how I recover - Recovery Stories - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

I suffer from reccuring DP/DR: This is how I recover

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 Johnson

Johnson

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 05:12 AM

Hi, I'm new here.

I went looking for a DP/DR community and landed here. I thought sharing about my DP/DR journey might help someone since I fully understand how incapacitating this condition can be.

I have suffered from reccuring DP/DR since I was 12. I'm now 30 yo. My triggers are stress and anxiety. I am currently recovering from the latest bout that was triggered by extreme stress that followed a bitter breakup with my girlfriend on the 1st of January. I am positive I will be fully recovered in 2-3 days.

My treatment plan is simple: I take AL (arthemeter + lumefantrine) (a drug used to treat malaria) in low doses (usually half) until I recover. I just buy lots of them and start taking them with little concern about any side effect or long term effects of the drug (anything is better than DP/DR). And it works for me. It usually takes between 3 and 6 weeks for me to fully recover.

I started using the drug to treat DP/DR in 2005 when I got malaria which triggered DP/DR (I am from Sub-Saharan Africa and malaria is very common here). All the DP/DR symptoms disappeared when I recovered from that bout of malaria.

I don't know if this will work for anyone else but I felt I should put it out here just in case.

#2 Dark12345

Dark12345

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 07 February 2020 - 05:06 PM

Reply back when you get fully better

#3 Johnson

Johnson

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 11:57 AM

I can now say I'm fully recovered. My DP/DR wasn't as severe as it usually is. I could recognize myself in the mirror but my mind was foggy and thoughts distorted, my eyes were extremely sensitive to light (I stayed indoors for two straight weeks with all the curtains drawn), and I had a distorted sense of time. I couldn't go to work (I lecture at a university so I just cancelled classes)

My mind is now 95% clear, the light sensitivity is gone, and my sense of time is back. I now feel ready to start my year.

#4 Where

Where

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• Moderators
  • 690 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 12:05 PM

Do you have malaria?

#5 Johnson

Johnson

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 12:27 PM

No. I use malaria drugs to treat DP/DR and it works for me

#6 Where

Where

• Moderators
  • 690 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 12:32 PM

Have you ever been tested for it while you were feeling sick?

#7 Johnson

Johnson

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 12:46 PM

Yes and I didn't have malaria at the time. That is actually when I tried using AL to treat DP and I was okay in about 4 weeks. I have been using AL to treat DP for the last 15 years and i have never had any side effects from using the drug.

#8 Where

Where

• Moderators
  • 690 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 12:53 PM

Okay, if you're sure you don't have it.

#9 Johnson

Johnson

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 01:12 PM

I don't. In fact i don't live in a malaria prone zone at the moment so the risk is very low (I've only had malaria once in my life). I'm sure stress was what triggered the DP.

#10 Where

Where

• Moderators
  • 690 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 03:05 PM

Does the malaria medication treat conditions besides malaria? You might want to see a doctor about this, and potentially discover how the medication is helping you with DP.

#11 Dark12345

Dark12345

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 09 February 2020 - 03:47 PM

What's the ratio of this drug, and how much MG?

#12 Johnson

Johnson

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 03:21 AM

I have never talked to any doctor about this treatment plan because I'm sure they wouldn't approve it. It was just an experiment that worked.

The most common brand of AL is Coartem and it is only used to treat malaria.

Each tablet is 140 mg and the prescribed dosage for an adult is 4 tablets taken twice daily for 3 days. In severe DP cases, I take the full dosage then reduce to half a dose when I begin to get better. After 3 days, I wait one to two days then start taking the drug again. This goes on until I'm fully recovered.

If you would like to try it, make an effort to familiarize yourself with the drug first and understand the risks involved.

If anyone decides to try it, I would be interested to know if it helped.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users