EMDR - Treatment Options - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

EMDR

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 LRD123

LRD123

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 January 2020 - 03:49 PM

Has anybody had any success with EMDR treatment? I was just diagnosed a few weeks ago with PTSD with dissociative symptoms. My neuropsychologist said EMDR will "cure" me. I will start EMDR therapy on March 9th

#2 Aridity

Aridity

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 343 posts

Posted 22 January 2020 - 05:17 PM

Tried it, it can work if you have emotional and maybe physical anxiety towards memories. I myself cannot visualize anything in my mind, and if I can bring up a memory it doesn't envoke any emotion in me. I can talk about maybe traumatic events in my childhood but I am totally numb and dissociated.

#3 inspiredpoet

inspiredpoet

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 February 2020 - 10:14 PM

It helped me in the sense that it took my symptoms from unbearable to nearly manageable. Basically with the therapist I looked back on some stressful/traumatic memories, and then she did the emdr method while I imagined the memory in a more helpful manner (saw myself acting in a more empowered manner).

After a few sessions I felt more grounded and safer expressing myself.

It didn't 'cure' me but was a big help. 

#4 Phantasm

Phantasm

Janitor

• Moderators
  • 887 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 03 February 2020 - 09:34 AM

I learned all about it and did all the processing part - had all the manuals - but my ingrained negativity at the time cancelled it out. The last part, the part I thought most unimportant, is the most important, the re-framing, changing how you feel about things, is essential.

You can go over and relive trauma a million times, but if you don't change how you feel about it - and you can do that deliberately - then you wont move forward.

#5 inspiredpoet

inspiredpoet

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 04 February 2020 - 09:44 PM

I learned all about it and did all the processing part - had all the manuals - but my ingrained negativity at the time cancelled it out. The last part, the part I thought most unimportant, is the most important, the re-framing, changing how you feel about things, is essential.

You can go over and relive trauma a million times, but if you don't change how you feel about it - and you can do that deliberately - then you wont move forward.

Yeah that's true. In my case, going back to the memory and picturing myself doing something empowering like standing up for myself was what helped me feel better. Just going over and over the trauma without actually re-framing it or picturing a better outcome wouldn't have done anything for me. 

#6 LRD123

LRD123

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 February 2020 - 12:02 PM

Thanks for the input everyone! This derealization/depersonalization crap really scares me. I went through a short period of this when I was 13, only last a couple weeks and another time at age 15  when my friend died that lasted only at her funeral and a couple days afterwards. Scary stuff. I think the visual part of it scares me the most. My vision has never been affected but this time it definitely has (tunnel vision, visual snow, blurriness, colors are washed out, things appear to move...) 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users