Year later, still completely cured: follow this advice and you'll be free! - Recovery Stories - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Year later, still completely cured: follow this advice and you'll be free!

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 freeyourself

freeyourself

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 04 December 2019 - 12:46 PM

Hey guys,

I (F26) feel incredibly grateful to be able to post here and know that browing this forum isn't going to push me back into DPDR. No, I am cured; I experience a blurry, tired feeling occasionally when extremely anxious, but I have taught my brain how to exist in this reality. I am real and this is real.

I promise that every single one of you can achieve this, too. You can live a full, vibrant life involving friends, relationships, crazy public transport, huge crowds, noisy gyms, oral presentations... free of derealization and panic attacks. 

I am not affiliated with this article (I wish!), but I've come back to share it again. It genuinely saved my life, and taught me everything that I needed to know to instantly snap myself out of the rumination that not only worsens DPDR, but causes it.

https://youmemindbod...h/derealisation

I quit coffee after reading it, which lessened my symptoms by 30%. Starting to supplement with NAC (incredible for minds like ours) and adopting the thinking styles explained in the article cured me in 2 weeks.

None of you are ill. You're vibrant, beautiful people who happen to be TOO intelligent, too analytical. When this tendency is projected upon questioning your reality, it creates the experience of dissociation. But it's never too late to escape, and pour your interest and passion into something else.

Feel free to ask me any questions. 

Good luck! :)

#2 Broken

Broken

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 802 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 04 December 2019 - 05:57 PM

Thank you for returning to share your story! Very happy you recovered. Did some quick research on NAC and is one of the few I haven't tried so am giving it a go. How long did your DP last? And was it chronic or intermittent with your anxiety?

#3 freeyourself

freeyourself

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 03:07 AM

Thank you for returning to share your story! Very happy you recovered. Did some quick research on NAC and is one of the few I haven't tried so am giving it a go. How long did your DP last? And was it chronic or intermittent with your anxiety?

Hey! :) I had severe, terrrifying, psychedelic DPDR for 4 years and it was chronic. I literally lived in a dreamlike state, and it was incredibly scary for me. However, it did worsen during my panic attacks/was a vicious circle in that sense. I believe weed triggered it (never touching drugs again), but the wrong mentality and tendency to question my reality 100% sustained the disorder. 

#4 Broken

Broken

• DPSH Members
  • 802 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 05 December 2019 - 08:07 AM

Awesome.. well not awesome but good to know that you recovered from chronic DP which gives me hope. Do you feel the NAC in particular helped you or not? Just interested in the glutathione theory as it is one of the last I havent really pursued directly and I have never taken NAC

#5 freeyourself

freeyourself

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 03:07 PM

Awesome.. well not awesome but good to know that you recovered from chronic DP which gives me hope. Do you feel the NAC in particular helped you or not? Just interested in the glutathione theory as it is one of the last I havent really pursued directly and I have never taken NAC

i really do feel like NAC makes me far less panic disorder/OCD-prone. without it, my thoughts race a lot more perceptibly, and I know that's the state in which I used to enter my worst derealization episodes. i still take it regularly, because it's also fantastic for lowering my desire to binge eat and do mindless things like scrolling on my phone for hours etc.. 

glutamate is implicated in all neurotransmitter systems, so abnormal glutamate/gaba balances etc. will affect dopamine, serotonin, acetylcholine... I'm also really interested in that side of DPDR and anxiety. 

i really recommend it, as it's given me zero side effects and seems to help my productivity too.

#6 Cali123

Cali123

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 04:35 PM

Congrats! So the NAC helped a lot with anxiety symptoms? Haven’t tried it either so I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try

#7 Broken

Broken

• DPSH Members
  • 802 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 06 December 2019 - 11:48 AM

I have been reading non stop on NAC the last few days lol it is the one thing I haven't tried that I have heard about before. I'm not holding out for it, but I have read many great things in reviews, but I have had this before with supplements. I would say this is the one supplement I have heard that is used in the clinical setting so it sounds like it could actually DO something... I have taken tryptophan the last week or so and that seems to be helping me relax, 5HTP had this effect before but I think you grow tolerant to it. Anyway, I will feed back here if it works any miracles lol

#8 freeyourself

freeyourself

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 06 December 2019 - 03:56 PM

Congrats! So the NAC helped a lot with anxiety symptoms? Haven’t tried it either so I guess it wouldn’t hurt to try

Yes - I feel it really helps with anxiety and mood regulation. Most supplements either do very little OR come along with a lot of side effects, but NAC modulates the root cause of mood issues/anxiety --> glutamate signalling. :) Good luck!

#9 Cali123

Cali123

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 125 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 09:37 AM

Yes - I feel it really helps with anxiety and mood regulation. Most supplements either do very little OR come along with a lot of side effects, but NAC modulates the root cause of mood issues/anxiety --> glutamate signalling. :) Good luck!

That’s good to know. Definitely gonna try it then. Did you ever stop or take a break from the NAC to see if the dpdr feelings come back?

#10 badsidejoe

badsidejoe

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 08 December 2019 - 06:29 PM

Hey!
How much of the NAC do you take and how often?

#11 freeyourself

freeyourself

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 12:30 PM

Hey!
How much of the NAC do you take and how often?

Hey there! I personally only take 600mg per day, typically in the morning. 

#12 freeyourself

freeyourself

• DPSH Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 12:38 PM

That’s good to know. Definitely gonna try it then. Did you ever stop or take a break from the NAC to see if the dpdr feelings come back?

I actually ran out of NAC for a month over the summer, and noticed that I gained a couple of pounds because I was binge eating more. I was also more anxious than usual when in large, open spaces.. nothing like my DPDR days, but mild agoraphobia and odd bodily sensations. I didn't think much of it at the time, but looking back, the only variable I changed was removing the NAC. I didn't slip straight back into DPDR, which is a great sign (I feel I'm quite psychologically-healed), but I certainly remember feeling a bit 'odd' during that particularly holiday.

Now, I'm back on daily NAC and am able to live in the centre of a hectic city, go out in crowds and live a fast-paced life without any hints of DPDR. 

Definitely isn't a placebo effect, because I tried so many supplements during my years of chronic DPDR and many of them screwed me up more. Be careful, everyone.. don't start supplementing things without considering how they can affect anxiety/mood. Stick to supplements that are already used therapeutically in clinical settings like NAC, 5-HTP etc. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users