Have you ever experienced macropsia or micropsia? - DPSelfhelp.com Member Polls - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Have you ever experienced macropsia or micropsia?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Poll: Have you ever experienced macropsia or micropsia? (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you experienced either macropsia or micropsia before?

1. Yes (10 votes [66.67%])

Percentage of vote: 66.67%

2. No (5 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 teal

teal

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 09 October 2019 - 06:45 PM

So this is basically how micropsia feels.

600px-Alice_par_John_Tenniel_11.png

Macropsia is the opposite, where the room feels endlessly large and your body feels small.

I have had both, and both simultaneously as well. Especially when I've got fever, but otherwise as well, on bad days. It's been a while since last though. 

If you've had it before, how often do you have it and how does it feel when you've got it?

#2 Aridity

Aridity

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 317 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 01:06 PM

I have this as well, but my body doesn't feel larger but my surroundings do feel smaller or larger at random.

#3 Where

Where

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• Moderators
  • 671 posts

Posted 10 October 2019 - 05:47 PM

Yeah. It didn't feel particularly good or bad.

#4 Chip1021

Chip1021

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 602 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Posted 10 October 2019 - 08:22 PM

Never experienced either.

#5 James_80

James_80

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 211 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 October 2019 - 06:11 AM

A friend of mine, who experiences a bit of dp, says he sometimes feels the size of a tiny baby when he's sleeping in bed. I don't know if that's considered macropsia?

#6 teal

teal

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 95 posts

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:20 PM

A friend of mine, who experiences a bit of dp, says he sometimes feels the size of a tiny baby when he's sleeping in bed. I don't know if that's considered macropsia?

If it's related to the size of his body, then yeah, that would count!

#7 James_80

James_80

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 211 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 October 2019 - 01:53 PM

If it's related to the size of his body, then yeah, that would count!

Ok, I'll vote yes on his behalf then ;)

#8 WreckingHotelRooms

WreckingHotelRooms

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 958 posts

Posted 28 December 2019 - 05:44 PM

haven't had to read the DSM5 since I did research paper but pretty sure it's in HPPD's and not DP's. HPPD often has DP as a symptom, I also see a fair few here explain HPPD thinking it's just DP/DR. 

yep just googled it:

DSM-5 Criteria HPPD

All of the criteria must be met for a diagnosis.

• The reexperiencing, following cessation of use of a hallucinogen, of one or more of the perceptual symptoms that were experienced while intoxicated with the hallucinogen (e.g., geometric hallucinations, false perceptions of movement in the peripheral visual fields, flashes of color, intensified colors, trails of images of moving objects, positive afterimages, halos around objects, macropsia, and micropsia)
  • The symptoms in Criterion A cause clinically significant distress or impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.
  • The symptoms are not due to a general medical condition (e.g., anatomical lesions and infections of the brain, and visual epilepsies) and are not better accounted for by another mental disorder (e.g., delirium, dementia, and Schizophrenia) or hypnopompic hallucinations.

#9 Trith

Trith

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 07 January 2020 - 05:20 AM

Cool! I didn't know it had a name. So I had micropsia a few times. It wasn't too unpleasant or frightening, but it was weird. I was lying in bed and the ceiling looked like it was so close it was touching my face. It felt like being in a coffin. And it lasted just few seconds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users