Does really distracting you from the feelings/thougts from DP cure it? - Page 2 - Treatment Options - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Does really distracting you from the feelings/thougts from DP cure it?

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#13 Phantasm

Phantasm

Janitor

• Moderators
  • 931 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 September 2019 - 11:58 AM

Yeah, strategies like this can no doubt be helpful.

Not really DP-related, but I used to be envious of others. I fixed this by realizing that it makes more sense to compare myself to a past version of myself rather than comparing myself to others. This way, I focus on my own progress and what I am rather than on what I'm not. 

Yes, that sounds like a practical example. You've taken a recurring thought or belief that was causing you harm, and replaced it with one that's more adaptive.

The more central and destructive the belief is to our sense of self, the more it can fuel chronic dissociation, and the more powerful a correction can be.

#14 Array

Array

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 17 September 2019 - 12:27 PM

Life was 99.9% distracting before DP. You're just a slightly evolved monkey, you're not meant to notice your own consciousness. 

#15 Broken

Broken

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 818 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 17 September 2019 - 03:30 PM

It's weird actually I just think of this, because it is quite obvious. But we are constantly looking at the symptoms (or I am anyway), whenever I am conscious, so that feedback loop is always there giving a bit of underlying anxiety almost with the thought always in the background "it's still here".

But I guess one reason meditation could work is your eyes are closed but you are still awake and distracting yourself directly from your thoughts to your breath. Whatever can distract you in whatever way may help, but like I say you can't really distract or not focus on something that is always there

#16 yuri

yuri

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 September 2019 - 07:30 AM

Thank you for enlightening answers. It is god too see that different things works for different people. I will stick with my way for now, acceptance. For me it is very powerful and I can see the changes it makes. Small changes is better then none and I think in the real world small steps is almost always the only way. When you start to accept your negative thoughts and emotions sometimes they become the same as sensing for example that something is hot or cold or maybe here something on the radio. You acknowledge the information and then you move on. Let the mind do its thing, you cant stop it (I cant anyway) so better just accept it.

It is not helping anyone if we sit in here and reenact the Four Yorkshiremen scethc by Monty Python. Human suffering is absolute. Everybody suffers. Yes everybody. It can be hard to remember that when you have full on anxiety attack but we shouldn't say that people who got well did it because they didn't suffered hard enough. That they didn't have it as extremely hard that I (not meaning me here) have had it. You cant possible know that and that can also scare away the people who got better. We need those people here for inspiration. This is not a competition. It can be soothing to think that your suffering is the worst ever but in the long run it doesn't lead anywhere. You can try to be the winner but you will end up the loser because you just move further away from finding a solution. I have had mental problems for 20 years and suffered enough for a couple of lifetimes. But I got a gift as well. I am stubborn i spades. I have tried most of the different therapies by book at home, also had my own ideas to recover that I tried. Finlay I have find what I think is my way to a better life, acceptance. Hang in there and hopefully you also will find your way. I don't know if it will cure me but I'm going to try. What else is there to do really?

#17 Phantasm

Phantasm

Janitor

• Moderators
  • 931 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 19 September 2019 - 05:32 AM

You sound wise, Yuri.

Yes, I think that it can be so much about how we look at a thing, in a way that makes sense to us, and there can be many ways of describing a similar process. If you have found a way of approaching things that feels right and is helping then stick with it.

The work I've done with core sense-of-self is really another way of healing that inner wound, as with acceptance. Here Sun Yata was describing the same thing: 

I think embodying the mindset that 'I Am exactly who i'm supposed to be"

Is very powerful, transformative and healing.  

Whenever I felt that terrible sense of badness inside, I would use an equivalent phrase like, "I'm not bad or flawed, there was never anything wrong with me," to turn self-judgement into self-support.

Yes, no-one should presume to know another person's medical history, or their experience and knowledge. The old, "if anyone got better they never had it in the first place" argument is one I'm thankful I don't subscribe to. I think it's the illness talking.

#18 yuri

yuri

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 07:02 AM

You sound wise, Yuri.

Yes, I think that it can be so much about how we look at a thing, in a way that makes sense to us, and there can be many ways of describing a similar process. If you have found a way of approaching things that feels right and is helping then stick with it.

The work I've done with core sense-of-self is really another way of healing that inner wound, as with acceptance. Here Sun Yata was describing the same thing: 

Whenever I felt that terrible sense of badness inside, I would use an equivalent phrase like, "I'm not bad or flawed, there was never anything wrong with me," to turn self-judgement into self-support.

Yes, no-one should presume to know another person's medical history, or their experience and knowledge. The old, "if anyone got better they never had it in the first place" argument is one I'm thankful I don't subscribe to. I think it's the illness talking.

Interesting. It sounds like accepting self. That is a hard thing to do. So thanks for another thing I can use in that regard.

Yeah it is the anxiety talking. I have those thoughts and feeling myself from time to time. They come up when you suffer a lot.

#19 fieldsmatt31

fieldsmatt31

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:49 PM

Not that you ignore what you think or what you feel. 

Not that you trick your self.

Not that you think your way out of it.

You transcend. You go on living. Get out of the mind set that you are mentally crippled with some kind of debilitating mental illness and continue on with your life.

Dont adopt the belief that there is no way out. Thats rediculous and totally not true. Theres always a solution. 

Dont listen to people on here who say that there is no remedy that cause DP/DR to go away because there absolutely is. 

You can search on youtube and see so many people who recovered from DP/DR and they all say the same thing. You grow out of it. 

You go on living and stop believing that you cant and that you have some kind of mental illness. 

The sooner you toughen it out, stop worrying about it and go on living the sooner it goes away.

And there is so much you can do to help you do this. Meditation. Exercise. Nutrition/eating well. Yoga. New hobbys. Traveling. etc. These are all great remedies to help you become stronger as a person and to transcend the symptoms that are DP/DR. 

Worrying about your mental condition and believing that there is no remedy is useless and totally unbenificial and is obviously not true.

#20 fieldsmatt31

fieldsmatt31

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 01:59 PM

Its really unlike me to call people out but I have to. I go here occasionally just to check things out. I would like to make treatment and understanding of DP/DR more clear to people. 

Eddy1886, doesn't fully understand what hes talking about when he says there is no cure. There totally is. DP/DR is totally manageable and treatable. 

Also, the things said on this thread by Eddy1886 are very pessimistic, unhelpful, non beneficial, and not true. 

I would encourage others to seek other sources for solutions rather then listing to Eddy1886. 

Go to youtube and look up videos of people recovered from DP/DR. Its actually very possible.

People please, if you are having a hard time in your life and with your self dont try to give people false ideas that they are doomed just because you your self are having a hard time. 

#21 PerfectFifth

PerfectFifth

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 342 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:05 PM

Its really unlike me to call people out but I have to. I go here occasionally just to check things out. I would like to make treatment and understanding of DP/DR more clear to people. 

Eddy1886, doesn't fully understand what hes talking about when he says there is no cure. There totally is. DP/DR is totally manageable and treatable. 

Also, the things said on this thread by Eddy1886 are very pessimistic, unhelpful, non beneficial, and not true. 

I would encourage others to seek other sources for solutions rather then listing to Eddy1886. 

Go to youtube and look up videos of people recovered from DP/DR. Its actually very possible.

People please, if you are having a hard time in your life and with your self dont try to give people false ideas that they are doomed just because you your self are having a hard time. 

Your own view is very narrow. You seem to suggest meditation, hobbies and such as a solution. What if the condition has an organic, rather than a psychological, cause? What do you think meditation will accomplish in that case? I guess meditation and new hobbies can cure cancer and diabetes in that case too? Look, not everything is as black and white as you think. People with chronic DPDR don't benefit from what you say at all. I've tried exercise and nutrition, and it has absolutely no bearing on my DPDR. My current physical fitness is actually great, and guess what? My DPDR IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS BEFORE, FOR MORE THAN A DECADE!

#22 fieldsmatt31

fieldsmatt31

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 177 posts

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:43 PM

My advice to people with DP/DR is simple. Go on with your life. Stop treating your self as a patient with a serious mental illness. As hard as it may be, go on living as you would without it. And as is the case with myself and many others, it goes away.

The advice I give about exercise, nutrition, meditation, etc are all great remedies to help you go on with your life in a healthy manner and to ultimately drop the whole idea of DP/DR all together.

On the matter of you and a few others who claim that DP/DR is non treatable, I have to say you are completely wrong. You are simply expressing your own frustration that you have with your life and your self. 

As far as having narrow view, the only ideas I reject here are those that suggest that DP/DR is a chronic debilitating illness that which cripples people and is unmanageable and which has no remedy. This is totally not true. Please, check your self to see if you are being narrow minded your self.

Anyone who reads this, please disregard these people who suggest that DP/DR is a long term illness which has no treatment or remedy. Do not buy into that idea, please. Its not true and it has no place in the group really.

Go on with your life in a healthy manner and it will go away. This happens to many people. More people grow out of this condition than those who do not. You can get lots of recovery stories on youtube. 

And what if the condition is organic? What does that even mean? You must mean physiological or physical? It is true that physiology and psychology are interconnected. Its also obvious that DP/DR is both physiological and psychological. Any useful remedy for DP/DR would be to treat both the psychological and physiological health of the organism to enhance the over all well being of the individual. 

That is not an outrageous claim as you suggest. It is true. Improve the over all well being of your self, drop the DP/DR cry baby bullshit and go on with your life. Toughen up and move on. That is your remedy for DP/DR. Like it or not.

#23 eddy1886

eddy1886

• DPSH Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:46 PM

I would like to see just where abouts I have stated that DP isnt curable or treatable?????

You are sadly misreading everything I post....

#24 eddy1886

eddy1886

• DPSH Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 19 September 2019 - 02:47 PM

BTW If you have and know the cure or proper treatment for DP please share it with us all.......................

Or maybe guide us to your magical You Tube cure videos...

Contrary to popular belief I am never negative on here...I am a realist and only deal with scientific facts...

The fact is there is no one size fits all treatment or "cure" for DP...

And if you firmly believe just moving on with life is the true cure for DP I would like you to listen to the people on here who are currently in the throws of chronic long term DP.....Moving on is not possible for them...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users