Psychiatric Medications that may contribute to dementia. - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Psychiatric Medications that may contribute to dementia.

medications dementia

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 forestx5

forestx5

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1259 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:18 AM

Antipsychotic Drugs: Clozapine, Olanzapine, Perphenazine, Quetiapine, Thioridazine, Trifluoperazine, Loxapine, Methotrimeprazine, Molindone, Pimozide

Tricyclic Antidepressants: Amitriptyline, Amoxapine, Clomipramine, Desipramine, Doxepin, Imipramine, Nortriptyline, Trimipramine 

Source: JAMA Neurology

"Old soldiers never die, they simply fade away"

#2 Psyborg

Psyborg

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 430 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 06:22 AM

oh no.....

#3 Fromhollandwithlove

Fromhollandwithlove

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 16 August 2019 - 07:47 AM

Since when did this forum become about Dementia? What's the point of this topic? 

I personally don't give a F about Dementia, I would like to live NOW and I would take anything to feel alive. 

Should people who are already struggling with dpdr ALSO start worrying about possible dementia in the future? Is that what you are trying to tell us?

#4 eddy1886

eddy1886

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:01 PM

Medications used to TREAT the symptoms of Dementia..........Scroll down through the link for the list...

https://www.alz.org/...ts-for-behavior

If i ever develop Dementia please switch me off....Thats a horrendous degenerative killer condition........

And we think we have it bad with DP.......

#5 Chip1021

Chip1021

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 627 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Posted 16 August 2019 - 05:42 PM

I think it's not justs a reasonable assumption, but rather self-evident that psychiatric drugs in general are bad for the brain. Some probably more so than others, and perhaps the effect may be minor or unnoticeable for many of them. After all, if they do alter neuro-chemistry, without having demonstrated that your brain's neuro-chemistry requires altering, then it's very likely to be damaging.

But of course, as someone on his forum has already eloquently stated, for some, taking the risk now to live a life is worth the increased risk of dementia or other problems later in life. It's a perfectly reasonable trade-off and the reason why so many people continue to smoke, eat unhealthy but delicious foods, and consume illegal drugs.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: medications, dementia

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users