hypervigilance - does this sound like you? - Research - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

hypervigilance - does this sound like you?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 WreckingHotelRooms

WreckingHotelRooms

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 961 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 07:47 AM

https://www.depressi...ypervigilance/ 

I am just putting this here, because if i had narrowed this down a long time ago I would not have endured what I went through.. 

A bit of the article goes; 

"Physical symptoms of hypervigilance can include the following:

• Excessive sweating
  • Rapid heartbeat and elevated blood pressure
  • Fast, shallow breathing and/or hyperventilation
  • Extreme fatigue or exhaustion

These physical symptoms, or interoceptive exposure revealing a hypervigilant personality, show how the body reacts to the mind. When the mind is on alert, the body responds to support the senses and react accordingly to stimuli. Being on alert is quite taxing, hence the fatigue and exhaustion—especially when respiration is abbreviated.

Emotional symptoms of hypervigilance can include the following:

• An increase in fear or anxiety
  • Consistent feelings of panic
  • Persistent worrying

These emotional feelings are often a result of PTSD, and are the brain’s natural reaction to dealing with possible threats. Again, hypervigilance is a defense mechanism and these emotional responses to sensory sensitivity or environment are typical.

Behavioral symptoms of hypervigilance can include the following:

• Fast-twitch reactions; being “jumpy” when confronted with a “threat”
  • Faulty interpretation of innocuous remarks
  • Reacting in a hostile manner consistent with self-defense

The more prominent the behaviors, the more likely there is a correlation with increased anxiety.

Finally, the mental symptoms of hypervigilance include:

• Paranoia is a large part of hypervigilance
  • Lack of sleep
  • Extreme rationalizations of illogical action

Btw this is slightly confusing as you can have these things and just an anxiety disorder, but for me I have full hyper vigilance and it's got worse leading to days not sleeping, sweating that's well embarrassing and shakes... we now believe it can be pinned after many thousands wasted to this guy...

#2 tikobird

tikobird

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 119 posts
  • LocationSunshine

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:33 PM

I've had an anxiety disorder most of my life that sounds like what you describe. It sounds like we both have panic attacks. I've had insomnia for the last 4 and a half years and close to bedtime I start sweating, have trouble breathing and thought I was losing my mind. I also have chronic DP since I was 14.

I've had  such hypervigilance in the last few days I jumped in fear when someone came behind me and I never heard them. My husband came home from work and I was probably in my own thoughts so he said hello and my adrenaline went berserk.

There are two types of Anxiety disorders. I gave generalized anxiety disorder and it sounds like yours. There is also social anxiety disorder. It's been hell at times especially if I'm in a depressed state.

I'm seeing someone who's helping me now with Acceptance and Commitment Therapy which uses mindful meditation and teaches you to stay in the moment. By not thinking so much and dwelling on problems and the anxiety so much it helps a lot to lessen those feelings. I'm sure you know that we tend to ruminate and it seems impossible to stop. We worry about why , how, and what if something is happening. I always based my happiness by what others thought of me and now I know that has nothing to do with me. We're never perfect and life is up and down. I was glad to read your post. There are rarely people you meet with an anxiety disorder.It makes me feel less alone with this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users