Lost the ability to visualize memories and images in my mind - Page 2 - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Lost the ability to visualize memories and images in my mind

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#13 forestx5

forestx5

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1331 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:47 PM

I've never had a photographic memory.  I used to dream in video.  Now, I'm not sure I do anymore.  My dreams are more narrative dialogue than video.  I don't know that I care.  I don't need technicolor dreams.  What difference does it make?

EMDR is of questionable efficacy.  I tried it.  It helped me remember some traumatic events in greater detail.    I didn't see it necessarily as therapeutic.  Those details didn't seem to mean anything to my medical care providers, but a proper analysis of those events would finally lead me to understand

the nature of those events as epileptic in genesis.  That ultimately brought me to a thorough understanding of my illness, and appropriate diagnostics and treatment.  

I doubt there is a specific treatment for "lost ability to visualize memories and images".  Have you had an EEG?  Videos and images cause electric waveforms which are detectable by EEG.

If you have an EEG and your images and video are AWOL, maybe a neurologist can give you an answer. 

#14 ReiTheySay

ReiTheySay

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 96 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 08:28 PM

I did tell her, and she basically just agreed with my suspicions saying it's probably a defense mechanism deployed by my brain.

I'm worried something went wrong and i caused my brain irreparable harm. I looked up on google to find similar experiences which I know I shouldn't have done and came upon some people claiming it can cause brain damage

From what you described previously, it reallly does sound like a defense mechanism. It is so similar to when you get scared shit and your brain just goes blank. I'm already familiar with different reasons of temporary numbing living with DPDR; it is a matter of time.

I don't know much about this treatment you're undergoing but from what seems obvious, I don't see how it can ever do any irreparable damage to your brain!

Don't let yourself go into an obsessive loop on this thing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users