Anyone else? - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Anyone else?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Jix

Jix

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 07:37 AM

Ive had this everynight for over a week. Like most wierd feelings, this is difficult to describe but ill do my best. Basically in order for me to get comfortable to sleep i have my own calming rituals. Tonight, i chose to color in my phone app as coloring is relaxing. But sure enough the wierd confusion and mental imagery started immidetly after closing my eyes. Now heres the wierd thing. Whenever i do something right before sleep, its like my mind still believes im doing it even though ive stopped. As in, when i closed my eyes, i still had mental imagery that i was still coloring. And whenever my mind drifted to other thoughts, it still felt like i was coloring. This happens with anything i do right before bed. If im watching a video, i believe in still watching it even if ive turned it off and will vividly hear the voice of the person speaking in the video still. Not only this but this is all accompanied by severe confusion where i cant tell whether im awake or not untill i fully wake up. Im also very anxious and will jolt awake often, however, the jolt doesnt fully wake me up and im still in a confused and disoriented state and it usually causes a panic attack. Its also accompanied by vertigo and head pressure.

#2 morph

morph

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 171 posts

Posted 31 March 2019 - 09:35 AM

Ive had this everynight for over a week. Like most wierd feelings, this is difficult to describe but ill do my best. Basically in order for me to get comfortable to sleep i have my own calming rituals. Tonight, i chose to color in my phone app as coloring is relaxing. But sure enough the wierd confusion and mental imagery started immidetly after closing my eyes. Now heres the wierd thing. Whenever i do something right before sleep, its like my mind still believes im doing it even though ive stopped. As in, when i closed my eyes, i still had mental imagery that i was still coloring. And whenever my mind drifted to other thoughts, it still felt like i was coloring. This happens with anything i do right before bed. If im watching a video, i believe in still watching it even if ive turned it off and will vividly hear the voice of the person speaking in the video still. Not only this but this is all accompanied by severe confusion where i cant tell whether im awake or not untill i fully wake up. Im also very anxious and will jolt awake often, however, the jolt doesnt fully wake me up and im still in a confused and disoriented state and it usually causes a panic attack. Its also accompanied by vertigo and head pressure.

It's possible you're experiencing hypnagogic phenomena during the transition from wakefulness to sleep. It's not something to be unduly concerned about if it's only been happening for a week. it's kind of Interesting that it's mental imagery and auditory stuff that you are experiencing. Don't know if you've heard of the tetris effect but it can occur during the hypnagogic state. The panic attack afterwards, suggests that it's an anxiety issue contributing to the "mind awake- body asleep" state.

Some people actively induce this state because they enjoy the experience or want to encourage lucid dreaming. here's a link to explain:

https://www.world-of...hypnagogia.html

#3 Jix

Jix

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 77 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 03:02 AM

Wow i think your right. I read the whole artical and i experiance most of those things before sleeping. Maybe im unintentionally inducing hypnogogia because i stay awake untill i cant keep my eyes open most nights...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users