Psilocybin mushrooms - Page 3 - Discussion - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Psilocybin mushrooms

• Please log in to reply
79 replies to this topic

#25 James_80

James_80

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 226 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:46 AM

"Magic mushrooms could replace antidepressants within five years" :

https://www.independ...t-a8929796.html

#26 eddy1886

eddy1886

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:51 AM

"Magic mushrooms could replace antidepressants within five years" :

https://www.independ...t-a8929796.html

"COULD" replace?????"

Just like prescribed heroin replaced morphine in the earlier twentieth century...

Tread carefully is all I can say..

#27 James_80

James_80

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 226 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:57 AM

"COULD" replace?????"

Just like prescribed heroin replaced morphine in the earlier twentieth century...

Tread carefully is all I can say..

Will do. Slight media news exaggeration going on here obviously but I'm still very interested in the research. I think there is potential for treating sufferers of dp more than any other condition. 

#28 James_80

James_80

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 226 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:00 AM

"If you ask people who are taking SSRIs chronically, they often say 'I feel blunted'," Dr Carhart-Harris told The Independant, meaning both negative and positive emotions are suppressed.

"With psilocybin therapy, they say the opposite, they talk about an emotional release, a reconnection, and this key emotional centre being more response."

This is what makes me think it could help DP sufferers.

#29 eddy1886

eddy1886

• DPSH Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 11 June 2019 - 06:22 AM

I think personally until they can find really whats going on inside the brain chemically with each of us as individuals we wont get to a point where DP can be treated with a one size fits all solution...

Again the lack of research and awareness is still huge with this condition...

We are all dealing with something that up until 20 or 30 years ago was literally unheard of in mainstream society...As a result the research as regards this condition is in its infancy..

I dont underestimate modern science and quite possibly someone out there has the solution to this condition hidden away...But unfortunately it might just remain hidden until there is a big enough market for someone to make a huge profit from it...

Gotta love capitalism....Profit before People!!!!!

One major gift I received from DP was to learn to see the world for what it actually is....I neither look through pessimistic eyes nor optimistic eyes anymore...I look through realistic eyes...This is an excellent way to deal with anxiety btw...

#30 Broken

Broken

• DPSH Members
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:26 AM

My DPD I would say is in fact complex PTSD, that has gotten to the point that it is so severe that it limits my ability to function on every level. I think that during my weed induced panic attack (and marijuana is considered by some to be a psychedelic) it somehow unlocked a window in my mind that made me remember a repressed memory (these do exist despite the denial of some).

This caused a MASSIVE adrenaline dump and furthered the panic attack and almost made my mind double down in a way and repress the memory again. It is a very blurry experience but I also remember consciously trying to lock that memory away and denying its existence rather believing I had gone mad than it be true. Which is in fact kind of what happened from there.

As I say my diagnosis to me really is CPTSD and I think that involves processing and remembering the trauma fully. There are plenty of anecdotal stories of people taking mushrooms and remembering and healing traumas. The issue is when people take mushrooms for fun and get the worst thing about themselves revealed to them. Mushrooms aren't for fun, they are a very powerful tool that unfortunately we still don't fully understand, but seem to heal trauma quite well

I tried microdosing recently to no effect, whether they oxidised or something I dont know but I got no benefits. It is for that reason I have ordered some and have decided to trip to process this trauma. I realise people will try and dissuade me from doing this but I have fully made up my mind. This is NOT a recommendation for others to do this. I have read a lot of studies and anecdotal evidence (good and bad) and have decided that this could be what I need. I have tried every medication under the sun and as James said above, they just numb me (the last thing I need with DP).

I know the trauma I have to face and know that it is true. Still I feel numb and dead to the context as if they didn't happen or I just don't care or love myself enough to give a crap. At this point I really have exhausted all options and this may well be my last attempt to get somewhere with this. I have felt like that multiple times though and keep pushing on so never say never. But I really need to face head on these deep dark memories from my childhood, and have an emotional release from it. It will be probably 2-3 weeks before I can do this but will post an update when I plan to do it 

#31 James_80

James_80

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 226 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 14 June 2019 - 12:36 PM

My DPD I would say is in fact complex PTSD, that has gotten to the point that it is so severe that it limits my ability to function on every level. I think that during my weed induced panic attack (and marijuana is considered by some to be a psychedelic) it somehow unlocked a window in my mind that made me remember a repressed memory (these do exist despite the denial of some).

This caused a MASSIVE adrenaline dump and furthered the panic attack and almost made my mind double down in a way and repress the memory again. It is a very blurry experience but I also remember consciously trying to lock that memory away and denying its existence rather believing I had gone mad than it be true. Which is in fact kind of what happened from there.

As I say my diagnosis to me really is CPTSD and I think that involves processing and remembering the trauma fully. There are plenty of anecdotal stories of people taking mushrooms and remembering and healing traumas. The issue is when people take mushrooms for fun and get the worst thing about themselves revealed to them. Mushrooms aren't for fun, they are a very powerful tool that unfortunately we still don't fully understand, but seem to heal trauma quite well

I tried microdosing recently to no effect, whether they oxidised or something I dont know but I got no benefits. It is for that reason I have ordered some and have decided to trip to process this trauma. I realise people will try and dissuade me from doing this but I have fully made up my mind. This is NOT a recommendation for others to do this. I have read a lot of studies and anecdotal evidence (good and bad) and have decided that this could be what I need. I have tried every medication under the sun and as James said above, they just numb me (the last thing I need with DP).

I know the trauma I have to face and know that it is true. Still I feel numb and dead to the context as if they didn't happen or I just don't care or love myself enough to give a crap. At this point I really have exhausted all options and this may well be my last attempt to get somewhere with this. I have felt like that multiple times though and keep pushing on so never say never. But I really need to face head on these deep dark memories from my childhood, and have an emotional release from it. It will be probably 2-3 weeks before I can do this but will post an update when I plan to do it

Good luck mate. How many mushrooms will you be taking? If I take them, it will be a small dose at first. I really only want to do this with a therapist present in the room with me though to be honest. Maybe I could try finding a therapist somewhere who is willing to sit through it with me. They would probably need to have experience with mushrooms themselves too so they don't freak out when I freak out.

I've experienced repressed childhood memories coming up when smoking weed. I can't remember exactly what they were but it felt really uncomfortable so I managed to distract myself from it. Weed didn't give me dp though. Life did and SSRIs did too.

#32 Broken

Broken

• DPSH Members
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 June 2019 - 02:34 PM

Thats a good plan, start small and get used to them. If I could afford the £2k to do the therapy at London that is what I would do. Are you in the uk? But I can no way afford that right now. I will take 30g fresh shrooms probably, just set up a grow kit today. 

There are secret therapists who do this, but I have no way of finding them, or affording it atm. 

Yeh I have had repressed memories come up once on weed in a panic attack. You say SSRI's did this, it is most probably the trauma that you experienced when you were young. The subconcsious expends a lot of effort keeping those things hidden through a learnt loop of thought. The time you remember them coming up on weed may not be the first time you repressed them, and when they come up again you consciously suppress them. This then becomes an subconscious pattern that goes on. Like a guard always at a door in your mind, constantly getting your conscious attention to circumnavigate it. This is ALWAYS switched on, as the mind has learnt what happens when you open that door

Unfortunately for you and me, I think we have to go through that door and fully face those fears. It is going to be utterly awful for me. But I know it is what has to be done to overcome DPD. I wish this was a chemical imbalance or vitamin deficiency, but it's not what is causing this for me, and many others here yet to face it

#33 WreckingHotelRooms

WreckingHotelRooms

• DPSH Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 07:25 PM

Okay as someone who never considered this as something i'd touch in a million years, I've just flipped side.

I understand everyones point, I think they are all valid. Hear me out.

I can't say a lot right now, but I was asked to be on a trail of Psilocybin, this is a very exclusive and small study. My physiatrists (private) colleague is involved in a research team leading this in the UK.

We Skype and it was all going normal, till this was brought up, I was in shock, but we've tried 4 ADs this year and we agreed that it seems I have treatment resistant depression, YAY. 30 Meds total or something stupid. Not all for DP, don't worry.

Instantly had concerns

1. It's a dissociative medication 

2. I don't want a trip

3. How is the doses split up? 

Replies: 

1. Yes - (not worried, this is mainly to do with dose) 

2. No tripping involved 

3. Doses are micro, twice a day, takes 6-8 weeks to feel anything (so really micro! done some reading) 

What I've learnt since this conversation

1. Unlike Antidepressants and such-forth, the plan appears to reset the brain and is showing that in patients who respond it does that, read the articles below, many talk of this reset being like PRE state of mental illness. 

2. Dosages is what they are homing in on, Harvard (below) did a study where they used a small trip and could elevate depression for a month to three months, this has also been done in England too, but now they have found daily micro doses has staying power, no tripping, little side effects.

3. fMRIs are showing rebalancing, mentioned in below articles, it is not even a debate at this stage that it can stop PTSD symptoms in the medical world it’s finding out the dosage and how to use this information. Studying Mushrooms for PTSD and Depression has been getting serious now for around 10 years and seems it's coming. 

5. Dissociative qualities of this medication does not appear to be a concern, many on Reddit say full doses makes them the opposite, which clinically is paradoxic but paradoxic in medicine is not abnormal. (quick example, Cortisol blockers increase my Cortisol). I do not however dismiss this can also cause DP, but we already have it. 

6. Micro dosing twice a day with no effects for 6-8 weeks is many times weaker than what everyone who thinks they are 'micro dosing'. This is gradual. Shouldn't feel a thing in a week never mind a day. 

6. Patients don't need long term treatment from what I’ve read for MMD. They use it till they feel good. fMRI’s show ONE trip has long term changes in the brain. HENCE WHY, DO NOT DO THIS BY YOURSELF, ONE BIG DOSE COULD GO THE OTHER WAY AND HAS DONE FOR MANY PEOPLE. 

Since, I've randomly googled it a lot, as well as reading trials, I've looked up anecdotes here and mainly Reddit, most are full out tripping, looking to have fun, I've found an overwhelming amount of cure stories of MMD and a few of DP. These get backed up by people it happened to but dismissed by everyone who either took way too much and were tripping (remember no tripping what so ever is the dose) or never tried it. 

I have to admit, I never even clicked Mushroom posts here really, self medicating is a dangerous thing, which I standby, till we understand the doses and trails! But from all the reading on cured PTSD patients and how my physiatrists talked about this, this is gonna be a big deal. 

How did I get offered this?

After knowing my physiatrist for over a year, she diagnosed me of having HPA dysfunction; 

This was concluded from loads of medication trials, my symptoms of Anxiety, Depression, Anhedonia, Blank, Dissociated etc and now my Endocrinology is proving her diagnoses which is weird (Cushings Syndrome), because as you know mental health often has very light paper trial but mine is now showing Cortisol to be five times over. My physiatrist agrees that endocrinology is a factor, but will not cure my mental health, gonna have to tackle both. 

IF i'm accepted, I'm rolling the dice. (Better not get the test drug which is usually escitalopram, although having been on it this year, I doubt they'd try it!).

Can we see what studies there is on the HPA axis? (often mentioned in DP trials). 

I've got one study on HPA, looks at substance abuse and relates it to MMD. It also explains how it works if you want to get technical.  

https://www.tandfonl...75.2016.1220834

Harvard:

http://sitn.hms.harv...-psychotherapy/

Few links showing this is happening in England:

https://www.theguard...health-medicine

https://www.bbc.co.u...health-41608984

#34 eddy1886

eddy1886

• DPSH Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 14 December 2019 - 02:46 AM

Let us all know how you get on....Your alot braver than me...

#35 James_80

James_80

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 226 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 14 December 2019 - 06:43 AM

Okay as someone who never considered this as something i'd touch in a million years, I've just flipped side.

I understand everyones point, I think they are all valid. Hear me out.

I can't say a lot right now, but I was asked to be on a trail of Psilocybin, this is a very exclusive and small study. My physiatrists (private) colleague is involved in a research team leading this in the UK.

We Skype and it was all going normal, till this was brought up, I was in shock, but we've tried 4 ADs this year and we agreed that it seems I have treatment resistant depression, YAY. 30 Meds total or something stupid. Not all for DP, don't worry.

Instantly had concerns

1. It's a dissociative medication 

2. I don't want a trip

3. How is the doses split up? 

Replies: 

1. Yes - (not worried, this is mainly to do with dose) 

2. No tripping involved 

3. Doses are micro, twice a day, takes 6-8 weeks to feel anything (so really micro! done some reading) 

What I've learnt since this conversation

1. Unlike Antidepressants and such-forth, the plan appears to reset the brain and is showing that in patients who respond it does that, read the articles below, many talk of this reset being like PRE state of mental illness. 

2. Dosages is what they are homing in on, Harvard (below) did a study where they used a small trip and could elevate depression for a month to three months, this has also been done in England too, but now they have found daily micro doses has staying power, no tripping, little side effects.

3. fMRIs are showing rebalancing, mentioned in below articles, it is not even a debate at this stage that it can stop PTSD symptoms in the medical world it’s finding out the dosage and how to use this information. Studying Mushrooms for PTSD and Depression has been getting serious now for around 10 years and seems it's coming. 

5. Dissociative qualities of this medication does not appear to be a concern, many on Reddit say full doses makes them the opposite, which clinically is paradoxic but paradoxic in medicine is not abnormal. (quick example, Cortisol blockers increase my Cortisol). I do not however dismiss this can also cause DP, but we already have it. 

6. Micro dosing twice a day with no effects for 6-8 weeks is many times weaker than what everyone who thinks they are 'micro dosing'. This is gradual. Shouldn't feel a thing in a week never mind a day. 

6. Patients don't need long term treatment from what I’ve read for MMD. They use it till they feel good. fMRI’s show ONE trip has long term changes in the brain. HENCE WHY, DO NOT DO THIS BY YOURSELF, ONE BIG DOSE COULD GO THE OTHER WAY AND HAS DONE FOR MANY PEOPLE. 

Since, I've randomly googled it a lot, as well as reading trials, I've looked up anecdotes here and mainly Reddit, most are full out tripping, looking to have fun, I've found an overwhelming amount of cure stories of MMD and a few of DP. These get backed up by people it happened to but dismissed by everyone who either took way too much and were tripping (remember no tripping what so ever is the dose) or never tried it. 

I have to admit, I never even clicked Mushroom posts here really, self medicating is a dangerous thing, which I standby, till we understand the doses and trails! But from all the reading on cured PTSD patients and how my physiatrists talked about this, this is gonna be a big deal. 

How did I get offered this?

After knowing my physiatrist for over a year, she diagnosed me of having HPA dysfunction; 

This was concluded from loads of medication trials, my symptoms of Anxiety, Depression, Anhedonia, Blank, Dissociated etc and now my Endocrinology is proving her diagnoses which is weird (Cushings Syndrome), because as you know mental health often has very light paper trial but mine is now showing Cortisol to be five times over. My physiatrist agrees that endocrinology is a factor, but will not cure my mental health, gonna have to tackle both. 

IF i'm accepted, I'm rolling the dice. (Better not get the test drug which is usually escitalopram, although having been on it this year, I doubt they'd try it!).

Can we see what studies there is on the HPA axis? (often mentioned in DP trials). 

I've got one study on HPA, looks at substance abuse and relates it to MMD. It also explains how it works if you want to get technical.  

https://www.tandfonl...75.2016.1220834

Harvard:

http://sitn.hms.harv...-psychotherapy/

Few links showing this is happening in England:

https://www.theguard...health-medicine

https://www.bbc.co.u...health-41608984

Good luck! I was screened for a psilocybin trial earlier this year but wasn't suitable - they have super strict criteria. I would like to try micro dosing if there is solid evidence to show it helps dp and depression long term.

#36 WreckingHotelRooms

WreckingHotelRooms

• DPSH Members
  • 978 posts

Posted 14 December 2019 - 12:11 PM

Thanks Eddy, 

Will either be allowed on the trial and do a regular update and failing that once the report is published get that for us. 

I don't know how I am suitable, i've Cushings Syndrome apparently (St.Mary's London think so), tests all point that way, so I shouldn't really hit the criteria? but my p doc knows all this and she knows who runs this trial, so you never know... 

It's not only killing depression but nailing PTSD James, which is incredible, i'll get the evidence. DP people aren't getting trialed, i'd be going as a "treatment resistant depression" patient, anything else I find along the way for DP will be outside of the trial and for us

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users