Sunlight causing derealization! Has ANYONE recovered from this? - Page 2 - Managing DPD - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Sunlight causing derealization! Has ANYONE recovered from this?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#13 eddy1886

eddy1886

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 26 February 2019 - 05:13 AM

Im actually of the opinion now that in the modern world the word STRESS needs to used instead of the words MATERIALISM, GREED & AMBITION...Cos thats what tends to be at the heart of most peoples stress.........

We have all set our personal bars way too high because thats what society has told us we need to do to be not only a success in life but also to be accepted and allowed to fit in........

My heart goes out to younger people in the modern world...The demands are way too high on them....

The pharmaceutical companies are loving it though....God I despise Capitalism....Its a disease in society......

#14 Where

Where

• Moderators
  • 720 posts

Posted 27 February 2019 - 03:19 PM

They say overstimulation can increase dissociation. I’ve also heard heavy alcohol users say that bright lights cause them to feel like they’re being pushed into a blackout. I don’t know what the hell DP is exactly, but the reaction to bright lights makes sense to me.

I’m less bothered by sunlight than I was several years ago. Of course, there’s no way to measure this, but I don’t stop and think, “This sunlight is giving me a problem,” like I used to. Flourescent tube lighting still messes me up, though.

#15 eddy1886

eddy1886

• DPSH Members
  • 1903 posts
  • LocationIreland

Posted 28 February 2019 - 06:47 AM

If you live in the Northern Hemisphere its actually important to expose yourself to as much sunlight as possible without getting sunburnt of course.... (Sunlight is the most natural source of vitamin D3 which is the feel good vitamin)

This is why winter depression or S A D is so common the further North past the equator you are...I myself experience S A D every year as soon as October arrives and the days start to shorten and darken....I despise Irish winters with a passion and lose all my motivation...Then as soon as Spring starts to arrive its like im being reinvigourated....The difference in me is literally night and day LOL...

You should see what happens to people in the British Isles when the sun starts to shine brightly in Spring and Summer  ....The transformation in everybodys mood is actually astonishing...

#16 Ahungerf

Ahungerf

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:12 PM

I appreciate the reply’s guys, I guess the tough part to get is why my anxiety can feel really low or completely gone yet once I step outside that sun if it’s bright is still causing a dreamlike environment and the sky looks shimmery and fake... hard not to feel trapped in this when you feel normal or close to normal when in doors but then my eye catches the brightness out the window or I open the front door and boom!! Bright ass dream world... Also did a bright night sky like during on a full moon create the same detached feeling? It’s like everything in front of me seems real like my house or trees but the sky behind it all seems like a fake backdrop... did anyone else have this???

#17 Ahungerf

Ahungerf

Advanced Member

• DPSH Members
  • 46 posts

Posted 28 February 2019 - 07:12 PM

I appreciate the reply’s guys, I guess the tough part to get is why my anxiety can feel really low or completely gone yet once I step outside that sun if it’s bright is still causing a dreamlike environment and the sky looks shimmery and fake... hard not to feel trapped in this when you feel normal or close to normal when the lights aren’t messing with me... did a bright night sky like on a full moon create the same detached feeling? It’s like everything in front of me seems real like my house or trees but the sky behind it all seems like a fake backdrop... did anyone else have this???

#18 Chip1021

Chip1021

Great Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 627 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, Minnesota, USA

Posted 01 March 2019 - 03:29 PM

I'm extremely light-sensitive. I'm mostly awake at nights, and as the sun begins to shine through the windows in the mornings my symptoms become much worse. Happens too when I go outside, but there are a lot of things about being outside that makes my symptoms worse, so I can't pinpoint that specifically to the sunlight.

#19 DerealizedDutchie

DerealizedDutchie

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 02 March 2019 - 06:22 AM

I see things as they should be inside my home. Well, maybe the depth is a bit fucked. But as soon as i walk out of the door everything looks extremely fake. The trees freak me out the most. The cloudy days are the worst tbh, with the bright white light and no sun at all. At night i do feel a litte bit more at peace when i’m outside.

Afaik i had this since i was very young, not the DR particularly, but the fact that nights were more soothing and calming than days. I always played my best soccer matches in the late evening with no anxiety at all. When i played in the morning or at midday with the bright white light i freaked out a lot and did hyperventilate during matches.

It all seems so connected in a way, but i’m too tired to figure it all out lol.

To give you some hope: there was a time in my life where all of this did not bother me anymore and all the symptoms dissipated. In the end it’s all about having something to focus on and live for which is more important to you than your symptoms.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users