Imipramine (analogue of clomipramine) - Page 2 - Treatment Options - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Imipramine (analogue of clomipramine)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#13 ali3n

ali3n

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationπŸ‡²πŸ‡½

Posted 27 December 2018 - 01:12 PM

i had never heard of this med huh.png

i'll stick to citalopram for now, and if in more months it doesnt work, i think i'll switch/add this one 

(also, do you have a blog here where you can keep us updated on your progress? if not, i think maybe you should consider it smile.png )

#14 Broken

Broken

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 December 2018 - 09:21 AM

I tried escitalopram but it didn't help me, but everyone's different especially with DPD it seems.

I don't have a blog no, but I will add any improvements here if there are any.

Today was another slight improvement. Perhaps the DR is slightly better but this can change from day to day. Also feel more relaxed/less tense and my sense of smell was again noticeably stronger today.

Imipramine is a really old fashioned drug but many with depression swear by it. I'm in the uk and the only reason I didn't try clomipramine is because there are issues with supply here so my GP recommended this. Will be back with more when/if things continue to change!

#15 DerealizedDutchie

DerealizedDutchie

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 11:21 AM

Good to hear Broken! Small steps everyday :)

If i may ask, what are you doing besides taking medication? And do you still go to work/college, work out a lot?

Keep it up man

#16 Broken

Broken

• DPSH Members
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 December 2018 - 02:12 PM

I haven't worked out for a while. I do intend on starting running again.

I take niacin, vitamin b3 that causes a 'flush'. Thought to be caused by releasing serotonin and b3 also increases bdnf which grows new brain cells. Other than that I have a fairly healthy diet, but the medication has been the main thing that has helped.... will give it some more time, but no negative side effects for me, Woke up today with a weird crackling in my ear. Hearing has been a big issue for me so hopefully it is helping that

#17 DerealizedDutchie

DerealizedDutchie

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 02:32 PM

Hearing is a big issue for me as well, sinusses always popping when i swallow and a minor ringing in the ears 24/7. Sometimes when i’m running my sinusses are cracking as well, it’s like they want to pop open for real this time, but they never do :(

Let me know if the medicine is changing your hearing for the better!

#18 Broken

Broken

• DPSH Members
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 28 December 2018 - 05:44 PM

"the following cocktail has given me nearly complete relief. Lamictal (lamotrogine) 300 mg; Zoloft (sertraline) 25 mg; Tofranil (imipramine) 10 mg; Klonopin (clonazepam) 4 mg"

"After many years of screwing around with various meds, it just -happened- one day that I was feeling better, took a look at my situation and realized I had been unintentionally shifted into clonazepam, lamotrigine, and imipramine (clomipramine's father)."

"On 100 mg of Clomipramine and 200 mg of Lamictal now... I think I've been starting to notice some of the DP/DR easing up over the past few weeks.  I'll keep you guys in the loop as I continue to titrate the clomipramine."

"When I had a relapse more than 10 years ago, Imipramine (Tofranil) blocked my panic attacks and eliminated all anxiety, and DP gradually wore off too."

"Well im on amitriptyline(brand name elavil) and id have to say it works great for depression. If you have the type of depression where you are awake allnight obsessing about everything tricyclics are probley the best option."

Above is a list of others experiences with imipramine or similar drugs. I think amitriptyline is quite similar to imip/clomipramine. It looks almost identical in structure and acts in a similar way. I am hopeful about this medication, it certainly is helping sleep which I feel is a major influence on my DP and anxiety. 

#19 gaddis

gaddis

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:31 PM

"the following cocktail has given me nearly complete relief. Lamictal (lamotrogine) 300 mg; Zoloft (sertraline) 25 mg; Tofranil (imipramine) 10 mg; Klonopin (clonazepam) 4 mg"

"After many years of screwing around with various meds, it just -happened- one day that I was feeling better, took a look at my situation and realized I had been unintentionally shifted into clonazepam, lamotrigine, and imipramine (clomipramine's father)."

"On 100 mg of Clomipramine and 200 mg of Lamictal now... I think I've been starting to notice some of the DP/DR easing up over the past few weeks.  I'll keep you guys in the loop as I continue to titrate the clomipramine."

"When I had a relapse more than 10 years ago, Imipramine (Tofranil) blocked my panic attacks and eliminated all anxiety, and DP gradually wore off too."

"Well im on amitriptyline(brand name elavil) and id have to say it works great for depression. If you have the type of depression where you are awake allnight obsessing about everything tricyclics are probley the best option."

Above is a list of others experiences with imipramine or similar drugs. I think amitriptyline is quite similar to imip/clomipramine. It looks almost identical in structure and acts in a similar way. I am hopeful about this medication, it certainly is helping sleep which I feel is a major influence on my DP and anxiety. 

That fourth quote was from me. I should charge you royalties.icon_smile.gif

The TCAs were replaced by the SSRIs because of the side f/x of the TCAs.

I was DPd 24/7 until the tenth doctor I saw put me on 100mg's of Amitryptiline. It got me out of the hell i was in, but unfortunately, it had tremendous sedative side f/x, and people could tell just by looking at me that I was on drugs. 

When I was put of imipramine for DP panic attacks years later, it took about 350mgs to block my panic attacks. 

Like all ADs, they take about a month or so to work, and can affect your heart rhythm, so you have to go for EKGs. 

You can OD on them, so people were very frightened of using large doses. They cause dry mouth and lower blood pressure, so you've got to pour a lot of salt on your food if they affect your BP.

Amitryptiline will really help your sleep, but the sedative effect is noticeable. Imipramine won't help your sleep until you go above 250mgs. 

#20 forestx5

forestx5

• DPSH Members
  • 1291 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 11 January 2019 - 06:57 PM

Neurological onditions which can cause dp./ dr can also have effects on the vestibular system.  I suffered tinnitus for several decades following an initial neuro-psych trauma at 17. (that trauma would later be understood to be

temporal lobe seizures).

The tinnitus consisted of popping and cracking in my ears.  It was similar to what you might expect from eustachian tube dysfunction, but it was chronic and constant.  Turns out the tinnitus was rare in that is was objective.  The noise was discernable from the outside.  It was real,

and it was caused by errant electrical activity from my epileptic syndrome.  The condition is called palatal myoclonus.  

Another reason to be evaluated by EEG if you suffer dp/dr with any of its side issues.

#21 ali3n

ali3n

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationπŸ‡²πŸ‡½

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:07 PM

That fourth quote was from me. I should charge you royalties.:-)
I was DPd 24/7 until the tenth doctor I saw put me on 100mg's of Amitryptiline. It got me out of the hell i was in, but unfortunately, it had tremendous sedative side f/x, and people could tell just by looking at me that I was on drugs. 
When I was put of imipramine for DP panic attacks years later, it took about 350mgs to block my panic attacks. 
Like all ADs, they take about a month or so to work, and can affect your heart rhythm, so you have to go for EKGs. 
You can OD on them, so people were very frightened of using large doses. They cause dry mouth and lower blood pressure, so you've got to pour a lot of salt on your food if they affect your BP.
Amitryptiline will really help your sleep, but the sedative effect is noticeable. Imipramine won't help your sleep until you go above 250mgs.

did imipramine help your dp?

#22 Broken

Broken

• DPSH Members
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:25 AM

That fourth quote was from me. I should charge you royalties.icon_smile.gif

LOL if I make any money on this thread I will wire you your share. 

It has been 1 month now and the effects are starting to be felt. I am actually sleeping better on 100mg Imipramine and am keeping it at that dose for a while now. The side effects are completely fine and it is helping with sleep and tension as well as concentration. We are all different, it is helping at this dose for me and don't want to have to stop another medication due to side effects. I have certainly noticed the heart/BP when I exercise... I get exhausted quite quickly. But I cycle to get about so it is fine really, just can't go as fast.

Neurological onditions which can cause dp./ dr can also have effects on the vestibular system.  I suffered tinnitus for several decades following an initial neuro-psych trauma at 17. (that trauma would later be understood to be

temporal lobe seizures).

The tinnitus consisted of popping and cracking in my ears.  It was similar to what you might expect from eustachian tube dysfunction, but it was chronic and constant.  Turns out the tinnitus was rare in that is was objective.  The noise was discernable from the outside.  It was real,

and it was caused by errant electrical activity from my epileptic syndrome.  The condition is called palatal myoclonus.  

Another reason to be evaluated by EEG if you suffer dp/dr with any of its side issues.

Yes strangely some of the effects I have noticed have involved the ears. I had the crackling/crunching in one ear when I woke up last week. And last night I woke up to fluid building up in my ear. Felt like someone had given me a wet willy. Quite strange, not sure if it is a sign of something healing. 

Also have noticed a continued improvement in sense of smell. I know that the olfactory bulb and the hippocampus are the two brain regions where neurogenesis happens. So hopefully the Imipramine is doing that. I feel each day I wake up a little more rested and relaxed and in less painful / achy body which I normally wake up to. So at the one month mark things are looking positive, still no effect on my DR. 

There have been some moments where my DP seems to have improved. Hard to describe, but it feels as though my senses in some moments are more integrated. Like there is a more unified experience of the present moment. So this is promising as well, but as I say it is early days. Weird to think that this has been the medication that has helped me most so far of all the things I tried, and yet it was one of the first antidepressants to be marketed

#23 forestx5

forestx5

• DPSH Members
  • 1291 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:09 AM

I had terrible insomnia with my depressive episodes.  My psychiatrist was not very helpful.  I was hospitalized briefly and the nurses would come in every hour or so to do a bed check.

I was in bed.  Where else would I be?  While there may be a correlation between lying in bed, and sleeping, the relationship is not cause and effect.  The nurses reported I was asleep,

which allowed my psychiatrist to disregard my pleas for help with my insomnia.  If I had known we were playing a game, I would have wrote down every time the door cracked open so the nurse

could count bed lumps.

Anyway, around day 50 of no sleep, I realized I was dying and needed to do something for myself.  I went to the library and read a few books on insomnia.  One book mentioned amitriptyline

as having a hypnotic effect that sometimes helped those suffering severe insomnia.  I saw my psychiatrist that week, and I had him prescribe it for me.  I  had my first nights sleep in 52 days

after taking it.  The next time I saw my psychiatrist, I told him of the marvelous sleep inducing properties of Amitriptyline (Elavil).  He assured me he knew all about it, and that he prescribed it to

several of his other patients.  Funny that it never occurred for him to prescribe it for me.  What I really think happened is that after I explained the success I had with Amitriptyline, he went

across the hall to discuss the issue with one of his fellow psychiatrists who then told him it was common knowledge in the industry. What an EGO!

#24 Broken

Broken

• DPSH Members
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:09 AM

Yeah it is truly shocking how much medical staff disregard what mental health patients tell them, as if they are exaggerating and lying about everything. When I first went to my GP I said that I had symptoms of 'unreality' after fainting whilst on marijuana then having a panic attack. 

He then asked if I had any head injuries during that time. Well I did faint and fall backwards and must have hit my head, and then woke up with chronic neurological symptoms and neck pain for the next few days.

I know for a fact this should have been investigated further as potential Traumatic Brain Injury. But he tried to ask a leading question and said 'but you braced yourself when you fainted?' I said no and he just nodded and said 'yeah' and dismissed it.

Then saying that this can 'sometimes happen after marijuana'. I asked how long and he said 1-2 years! At that point it just boosted my anxiety through the roof which obviously worsened my symptoms.

If/when I recover from this I would very much like to be involved with the pathway used to diagnose DPD and symptoms of 'unreality' as they are very common throughout anxiety, depression and panic attacks and nobody has ever heard of it. Anyway, rant over lol

I'm glad you found help with amitriptyline. I actually do believe the tricyclics are better antidepressants, but as they are more risky for overdose medical staff are less likely to prescribe them in case the patient OD's and it comes back to a lawsuit. Imipramine has been the best drug I have tried and I have had all the other DP drugs (except naloxone/naltrexone)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users