Imipramine (analogue of clomipramine) - Treatment Options - Depersonalization Community

Please Read the Community Forum Guidelines Before Posting.

Photo

Imipramine (analogue of clomipramine)

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 Broken

Broken

Senior DPSelfhelp.com Member

• DPSH Members
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 12 December 2018 - 02:48 PM

I am due to start this tomorrow and strangely it hasn't been mentioned on this website before. Clomipramine is the only 'DP drug' I haven't tried yet, but is low in supply and my dr recommended this instead. It is the same as clomipramine but as the same suggests clomipramine has a chlorine molecule attached. Don't know if there is going to be much difference but I will try anything at this stage for some relief

Has anybody tried this or clomipramine?

#2 OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 13 December 2018 - 11:19 PM

No, but I’m currently taking Adrafinil and it’s helping a lot. However, I’m going to switch from my SSRI to clomipramine soon. I’ll let you know how things go. I plan on going with this combo- Clomipramine, Lamictal, Adrafinil/Modafinil.

#3 Broken

Broken

• DPSH Members
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 December 2018 - 02:47 PM

good to know. It didnt help me unfortunately but everyone is different. Hoping imipramine does me some good tonight. First dose. The only drug I have seen that has depersonalization listed under medical uses (only on wikipedia tho lol but its something)

#4 Broken

Broken

• DPSH Members
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 December 2018 - 08:37 AM

https://www.dpselfhe...hl=clomipramine

https://www.dpselfhe...hl=clomipramine

24 hours in and feeling some slight effect. Hard to tell if its placebo or positive at the moment. Will update here if things go well

#5 forestx5

forestx5

• DPSH Members
  • 1296 posts
  • Locationcentral virginia blue ridge mountains

Posted 15 December 2018 - 01:35 PM

Imipramine (Tofranil) is a tricyclic antidepressant that came on the market in 1957.  Clomipramine (Anafranil) added a chlorine molecule to imipramine, was patented and approved for depression in 1970.  Adding an inert molecule to an approved medication,

patenting and marketing the new medication, is an old trick of big Pharm to make more money without doing any labor.  Is your doctor in his 80s, or is he just a fain of the oldies?  One of the benefits of these older tricyclics is that they are available as generics.

#6 Broken

Broken

• DPSH Members
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 15 December 2018 - 06:46 PM

Yeh I know this all too well. And then use statistics to change the side effects profile; "New and improved formulae with fewer side effects and ever so slightly better at treating depression". 

Lol nah my doctor is young but supportive. I asked for this one as there have been a few cases where this 'cured' DPD specifically, as well as clomipramine being the only drug with Depresonalization being listed under medical uses (on Wikipedia, but still its rare to see it mentioned anywhere). Unfortunately couldn't read the link it was attached to on wiki

It seems to be helping me relax at least. Which is quite strange as it is day 2 but definitely feeling the effect of the drug even on 25mg. Havent had that with an antidepressant before except mirtazapine. Optimistic at the moment, slight improvements at this stage cant be a bad thing. Will try and update daily/with changes

#7 Broken

Broken

• DPSH Members
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 16 December 2018 - 04:06 PM

2nd day on imipramine and feeling some good from it. Slight relaxation despite it strangely keeping me up all night when its meant to be a sedative. I am optimistic about this. It feels more tolerable than when I took venlafaxine (effexor) as it gave me issues with my wiener. Effexor did seem to help my DP a little when I took it, but it was at the beginning of DP and for some reason the willy problems worried me. Mainly because I read of people becoming permanently impotent and my Dr having no knowledge of this so wasnt exactly reassuring.

Imipramine seems to be similar to Effexor as it increases serotonin and norepinephrine as well as raising BDNF levels... so I am hopeful and if I get any problems with the little guy this time I will push through. Hoping to get some sleep tonight

#8 Broken

Broken

• DPSH Members
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:26 AM

https://www.ncbi.nlm.../pubmed/9715363

The above was a tiny sample size but showed one patient responded to desipramine and one to clomipramine (out of 8 total). Also considering that 2 patients discontinued due to side effects this is quite strong... I can't see the dosage they were given, but hope they were tapered onto it like I am- 25mg a day at first noting side effects and then up to 50mg when they subside. I had a bit of nausea and insomnia the first few days but my body seems to have adapted. I am a but more fatigued than usual and sleep more but perhaps this is what my body needs

Don't know why I just found this, it's a shame there are no large studies on medication with DPD. King's college London really seem to be pushing the psychotherapy agenda at the moment. It is something that can help some but their research seems more based on this recently. I guess if you can have an 'effective therapy' you can charge obscene amounts (which they do). I would imagine that therapy of any kind would be thorough and take years.

Anyway, side effects are completely tolerable to me at the moment and am on 50mg. Plan to stay on that dose for a couple of weeks now.

#9 DerealizedDutchie

DerealizedDutchie

Regular Contributor

• DPSH Members
  • 87 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 10:45 AM

Good luck man! I’m going to follow this topic closely, because if i’ll ever start with taking medications i’ll probably start with this one.

#10 OnMyOwn

OnMyOwn

• DPSH Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 08:36 PM

Plan on trying this medication sometime soon here. I’ll keep you updated. I plan on making myself a guinea pig for treatments, still lots I haven’t tried.

#11 Broken

Broken

• DPSH Members
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 22 December 2018 - 03:46 PM

Give it a go. My only advice would be start on as low a dose as possible. I started on 25mg, am now up to 50mg. For me the side effects have been fine, I am eating less but sleeping more. Need the rest though. I had a bit of nausea and insomnia the first few days but that passed and now I sleep better. 

The side effects for this one often stop people but push through it if you can! Good luck, I am waiting for a while with this one as there are no side effects for me now which is nice (only a bit of constipation but nothing major). There are quite a few recovery stories out there with this medication. It increases serotonin, norepinephrine and BDNF (Brain derived neutrophic factor (grows new brain cells)). BTW this drug is pretty much the same as clomipramine, they just add an extra hydrogen atom or whatever and it is a 'new drug' with a new patent... 

#12 Broken

Broken

• DPSH Members
  • 804 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 27 December 2018 - 11:04 AM

Update; this seems to be helping slightly. Have slightly improved sense of smell which is an odd thing to notice. Feel more relaxed and sleeping better but eating less. Only been 2 weeks and am up to 75mg so still early days. There was a study on DP and sense of smell but it found no correlation, although it is something that is experienced with ptsd which I believe I have (CPTSD). Will update if there are any more improvements

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users